DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forced into a New 2 Year Contract - Frustrated Beyond Belief

8K views 204 replies 26 participants last post by  James Long 
#1 ·
Most frustrating experience ever! My DirecTV receivers are on the fritz (again). This time 3 of the 4 receivers we have in the house are laggy, flat out don't work, or when I try to power on/off, they fail to come back on. I was on w Tech support (20 minutes just to get to a live person) and they mentioned I should upgrade to 4K receivers as I was eligible for a free upgrade, but we got disconnected during the call. I called back up to do that, and they tried to charge me for the 4K receivers. As the call was at 37 minutes at that time, and I had to return to continue working, I didn't have time to escalate to a supervisor, and had to end the call frustrated. Today, on my day off, I tried to call in to exercise my "free" 4K receiver upgrade again (after almost 20 minutes to reach a live person again), and she again said that it was not an equipment charge, but an installation charge. At this point, I just wanted to get working TV again for my family so I said fine. She needed to do something but she said her system was slow and so I had to hold. She kept coming back on to apologize for the delays, then finally (I think about 40 minutes into the call) she told me (by the way) that this is a new upgrade and would require a new 2 year contract. At that point, I had had it, I asked to be sent over to the cancellations department. After a few minutes, someone came on, I could hear them just fine, but they kept repeating their name. I wasn't on mute or anything and kept trying to hear them I could hear them just fine. They finally said "I can't hear you" and hung up. Now, I'm fuming. I called back up to cancel service. Those people are always much nicer of course. I explained the whole situation and he said, let's try to get your service working. I went through the standard tech troubleshooting (that a 6-year old would figure out and that we have already tried a dozen times, power off/on, unplug, etc. blah blah) and the guy said that because the receivers had failed so many times in the past, that they'd have to upgrade, and that it would be a new 2-year contract! I couldn't believe my ears. I told him this was the most insane thing I'd ever heard. He actually agreed and said he would talk to a supervisor. He came back on saying that they would send a tech out, and they would try to fix it, but if they couldn't fix it, I'd need to call back in and try to escalate to get upper-management to waive the 2-year commitment. I asked him if he could see how completely ridiculous that was, he agreed but said that's my only option at this point. (chalk up another 30 minute call btw).

Well, needless to say I'm definitely shopping for new service. And if this experience has taught me anything it is never to get into another contract with AT&T. Most reputable carriers have services without contracts. Even if I have to get into one again, it'll never be AT&T. Absolutely unbelievable.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have T-mobile, you can get YouTubeTV for $54.99 a month, otherwise it is $65.00 only issue: No dolby.
I had basically the same problem and called retention, and they released me from my contract and signed me up for ATT TV which has been good. Better PQ, Dolby, 20 streams, use your own boxes or buy theirs for $50 on ebay.
Packages are close to the same. If streaming didnt work out, I was going to sign up with DISH for their 2 yr price locked package, but I like the no-contract streaming. I can move anytime (like this Sept when I will move to YouTube so I can get the Red Zone channel that ATT doesnt carry.

Those CSRs in the South Pacific have to have caused more cancellations that they are saving ATT money. I just DETEST trying to talk to them.

#7 ·
When was the last time you had a Service call? just asking --you may be better off getting a service call --while your looking at changing service ---

Oh BTW Welcome to the site --Now that your leaving D*TV --LOL

#8 ·
Just before I cancelled a month ago, I had a similar situation. The MDU operator in my building swapped my non working HR44 for an HR54. I did not order a new receiver, I called them because the DVR was so slow it was useless. They decided to swap it with an HR54. I called DTV and made it clear that I was not willing to enter into any contract, and the agent said that because it was a replacement of a problem equipment by the MDU operator, there was no new contract. Having been with DTV for decades, I knew that what an agent says often does not stick, so I recorded the phone call and asked the agent to repeat what she stated and repeat the reference number. 4 months later, I had had it with DTV and the price increases and no credits available for my account. When trying to cancel, they stated I had a contract, I gave them the reference number, (and again recorded the call), and the agent said, OK I see it. A few days later I get an invoice for $400 early cancellation. I called DTV and this time they kept passing me from department to department, loyalty, ATT Collections, the Philippine call center, a supervisor who told me I need to "adjust my expectations" as this will not be waived and they may turn me to collections if I do not pay (I now had several recordings one for each conversation). As a last ditch effort I asked for a supervisor in the US, in loyalty, while I was holding I was completing the complaint form for a Small Claims Court lawsuit, when I got a supervisor that credited me the $400 to balance the account after I explained I had several recordings and reference numbers from DTV and would be happy to play it these for her. She found the original reference number and acted. A month later, using youtube TV I find I do not miss DTV at all, and some benefits, such as no boxes, cables, lights and noise from receivers are great.

#15 · (Edited)
It's sad that you have to do this with them, but for other new people reading the thread looking for advice, this is your script when talking to DTV about any issues with slow/laggy/glitchy DVR's. Especially the HR20-34 lines.

Step 1, call the retention department first. Find the current numbers in the "Anyone call DirectTV and get a discount ..." thread. Don't waste your time with any other department.
Step 2, when they answer, say hello DTV, my receiver is completely dead. It won't power on, makes no noise, has no lights and I have tried using the power cable from my other DVR. Please send me a replacement and please credit my account the $20 shipping charge. Tell them you do not want to upgrade your equipment and you do not want to sign-up for the protection plan. If you tell them it's dead from the start, you will short circuit their troubleshooting flowchart and you will save yourself the hour of stupid "reboot the receiver, factory reset the receiver" troubleshooting steps that are designed to get you off the phone. Telling them you have tried a working power cord will save you the even dumber "we need to mail you a new power cord" step.
Step 3, wait while they type up all the info and confirm they are shipping you a new DVR.
Step 4, before you accept the order, confirm they are not starting a new commitment. Since this is replacing a failed receiver, it should NOT start a new commitment.
Step 4, after they get done processing the order for the replacement DVR, ask if there are any discounts available for your account.
Step 5, watch everything on the old DVR while you wait for the new one to arrive from FedEx. Write down your recording schedule
Step 6, install the new DVR and go through the long process of setting up your favorites and recordings
Step 7, if they wanted you to return the old box, take it to UPS and let them pack it up and ship it back. KEEP the receipt.

Repeat steps 1-7 until your old HR20-24's have been replaced by "new" refurb'd HR24's and your HR34 has been replaced by a 44 or 54. You can try it on an HR44, but there is no guarantee you'll get a 54 and you could end up with another 44.

#16 ·
Step 6, install the new DVR and go through the long process of setting up your favorites and recordings
Tried that (without the obvious lying, since I don't believe in lying)
I ordered a card for my DVR. They said they would send one. They sent a refurb DVR instead.
, and the DVR they sent did not work. I had two working units available, all they had to do is pair the card to one of them, but they refused and wanted me to pay $99 for a tech visit. Nope. Cancel.

#19 ·
At this point it is probably easier to get distants from dish (missing networks included with local channels) than DIRECTV at a home. The opposite for an RV account.

#31 ·
If you know precisely which episodes you want to record it should not be too difficult to filter them out from the list of recordings. YTTV records every program they broadcast. Each viewer then accesses that single recording if they have the program selected to be recorded. Massively more efficient than recording each program for every viewer that wants it recorded. They obtained legal permission to provide their DVR service in this manner. Since you work in IT, I'm sure you recognize how efficient this is in eliminating multiple recordings of every show.

#35 ·
Not once a year. You recounted multiple attempts to get discounts when the well ran dry for a while. Every service works for some people or they would not exist. You sometimes tell us your data cap is not an issue but conveniently bring it up when it comes to price comparisons. I'm not going to argue which service is right or wrong for you. Every service has different channel lineups, prices and DVR setups. It's not possible to keep an identical setup when you change providers. You have to balance the plusses and minuses. If you are looking for an identical setup you will not be changing providers.

#37 · (Edited)
Wrong again. I've been with DirecTV since 2002. I haven't paid full price for at least 13 years. Out of those 13 yrs, 12 of those have been once a year/5 minutes (including 2021). In early 2020, although it took more effort to get my 1 yr promo back, and I had to wait 2 months, I still didn't pay full price for those 2 months and that was the only year I've ever had an issue and since I got the one offs for those two months, the well never "ran dry".

Wrong again on the data caps too. If you read more carefully, you'll see I've said "potentially" a $50/mo fee. I use 300GB-400GB now with zero streaming. If I watch 4K, I'd go over the data cap. I also provided a list of a bunch of providers that have data caps. Since I use 300GB-400GB now, I don't really care about the data cap. If I think about switching to OTT, I'd have to consider that since you're trying to convince the world OTT is cheaper. I know you are a super rich guy who doesn't care about $50/mo -- although you seem to have cancelled your DirecTV service to save $50/mo -- hmmm....

Who said anything about identical setup? I told you I have a list of certain channels I watch. I know harsh will argue that 99.99% of the population doesn't watch those channels (and he'd be wrong as usual). I probably don't need DIY anymore since the shows I watched on there seem to have been cancelled, but I certainly watch History and Science. I only use PBS for This Old House, and as I've told you, one of the PBS channels airs it all distorted. So I should pay MORE to watch a show distorted? As far as time zones go, I obviously get LA locals and PBS from DirecTV, so I was talking about the nationals. As far as DVRs go... only Youtube has the stupid DVR behavior... so if I did go OTT, why I would I use the one DVR that sucks?

Since you keep telling me that spending 5 minutes on the phone during work hours is such a huge inconvenience to you, you'd think you take into account what other people consider inconveniences -- you know, like watching TV in the middle of the night or watching distorted shows, or juggling 2 - 3 providers, apps, bills, devices, double paying for channels, etc.

Real issue I think is that AT&T killed your dog and stole your Camaro and now you're all bitter and want revenge. If you hate AT&T so much and have cancelled your service, why are you still hanging around on a DirecTV board trying to convince us to cancel lol?

And at the end of the day, your arguments and harshs arguments ALL fall flat since "nobody" uses OTT. As we discussed in another thread, only 12% of the pay tv population does and that's with double or triple counting people with multiple providers.

And of course, you're paying more then 2x per channel vs what I am, but as we've seen, you're very selective with your details when you're trying to John Wick DirecTV.

#65 ·
$9.13 where I live and I'd have to subscribe to Sports Pack to get all of the teams claiming my area as "local". RSNs are out of control.

#71 ·
For reference: Learn About Device and Stream Limits

AT&T TV
You can stream AT&T TV on up to 20 compatible devices connected to your home network at the same time. And, use up to three of those streams on the go.

Network exclusions
Some networks only allow you to have three streams at the same time. This includes both watching in your home or on the go. These networks include:
* Fox channels: Big Ten Network, Fox News, Fox Business, FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes and Fox local channels
* STARZ®
* NHL Network
* SHOWTIME®

If you move or change your internet service provider, you can update your home network up to 4 times in a 12-month period.

AT&T TV NOW remains two streams with an extra charge for the third stream.
Twenty streams is a recent change so I can understand when word has not got around to everyone.

AT&T recommends Internet with 8Mbps per stream or more deliver an optimal viewing.

#72 ·
For reference: Learn About Device and Stream Limits

AT&T TV
You can stream AT&T TV on up to 20 compatible devices connected to your home network at the same time. And, use up to three of those streams on the go.

Network exclusions
Some networks only allow you to have three streams at the same time. This includes both watching in your home or on the go. These networks include:
* Fox channels: Big Ten Network, Fox News, Fox Business, FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes and Fox local channels
* STARZ®
* NHL Network
* SHOWTIME®

If you move or change your internet service provider, you can update your home network up to 4 times in a 12-month period.

AT&T TV NOW remains two streams with an extra charge for the third stream.
Twenty streams is a recent change so I can understand when word has not got around to everyone.

AT&T recommends Internet with 8Mbps per stream or more deliver an optimal viewing.
Can't you get around the "on the go" limits by using a VPN ;)?

#87 ·
True. But unless you pay for a fixed IP said IP is subject to change at the whim of the ISP. I have not had an ISP where I have noticed a change more than four times a year.

#102 ·
What would be a good move would be to go back to their original platform and method when they first went live. Let people self install or pay an installer, buy and own their own equipment, and no contracts. People with their own equipment are more hesitant to quit since they have an investment in the platform. If they want to make $$$ they could rent to own the boxes like the cell companies do.

#104 ·
They did that back in the day because it was easier to aim the dish and wire everything. Now its impossible without a "big boy" signal meter. Not only that, they had to have tech support that actually knew something beyond how to change the batteries in your remote. Too bad those people wanted actual $$$ to work. Plus they had to support all the different brands and stuff.

Owned boxes is a tiny, insignificant part of the population. So why bother with them?

Sat has a ETF because they have to roll a truck out to do the dish install, etc. So it costs them money. If the person quits after a week, they lost the $$$. Cable and streaming don't have that issue.

#105 ·
Charge for the install if customer wants it. End of ETF loss.

Add to that they make you not only pay for the equipment, but they make you pay to use it.
DVR fee
HD fee
Stream from room to room
Once more people get access to high speed internet, these Satellite and cable companies are going to have to drop all these stupid add on fees to remain competitive.

#113 ·
I am sure all the streamers add the cost of their cloud DVR and guide data into their price as well. Thing about DirecTv is, while they keep it separate where you can see how much they are digging you for it, the prices of their packages are NOT that much less expensive, and are actually higher than the competition BEFORE they add in the extras. That among having to speak South Pacific to get anything accomplished, is why I think they are losing subscribers. It cant be the actual product, they have one of the best PQs, have good audio, good selection, Sunday Ticket.

@codespy Yes, I did not know they trashed the access card department until I called and asked for them, and got a "what department?" response. Should have just hung up, but I really hated trashing two perfectly good expanded DVRs and 3 receivers to the trash can. I still keep them hoping SOME day SOMEONE will get their act together at DirecTv and they will be useful again.

#114 ·
It cant be the actual product
It's not.

Whenever we get a new rant on here about somebody cancelling, they usually have raged and cancelled over a perceived spite from AT&T. Yeah, cuz AT&T is out to get everybody. I have gotten disconnected before and yeah its annoying. I've also gotten disconnected before when calling Cox, or my bank, or other companies. It happens.

OP says he cancelled cuz his equipment upgrade would mean a 2 yr contract. Well, sorry OP, it ALWAYS has. 2 yrs for a truck roll, 1 yr for a self install. And we explained why above. Cuz it costs them money to activate / send out equipment / cancel, etc. So they want to get rid of folks who might sign up for 1 day to get the Superbowl, or for a month to get some sports package and then cancel, etc.

Example, this past weekend, I was revamping my resume to a modern format, and I was trying to send it to a family member to check out, but for some reason, I kept getting a weird error on Outlook going to Cox. So I called up Cox tech support and got disconnected probably 3 times lol. First CSR tried a few things and then wanted to do a TRUCK ROLL for $5 lol/mo Cox care. I was like how is a tech going to fix my email? And why would I pay $5/mo for it? I said it politely though and she transferred me to somebody who instantly knew what the problem was. No truck, no $5/mo Cox care. They were blocking my resume because their spam detector hit on it LOL. I had to expirement with it to figure out what was doing it... based on the OPs post, he would have cancelled his Cox at the first hurdle.

You should always push back POLITELY if any company tries to push a truck roll on you or upsell you.

Anyway, unless you are planning on ordering $20 PPVs or want to watch Golf in 4K you don't need 4K boxes.

#130 ·
It's nice to wish for, but there is no way DTV ever gets rid of the mirror fee. That's a guaranteed chunk of change they get every month and if they got rid of it, they'd lose even more money each quarter. I've consistently had 4-6 receivers over the past 22-23 years and I shudder when I start to think of how much I've paid in mirror fees.

#131 ·
"Lose even more money"? Directv is losing subscribers, but making money hand over fist. They are still generating nearly $1 billion in cash flow per quarter despite the subscriber losses.

#135 ·
While still profitable ($1.729 B profit last year) the subscriber loss needs to level off. At current rates AT&T|DIRECTV will have no customers in five years. At current rates DISH will still have satellite customers in 35 years and have 20 million SlingTV customers. While I have no doubt that current rates will change, they need to change toward the positive for DIRECTV.

The sky isn't falling ... but DIRECTV is on a path to be smaller than DISH by the end of 2023. That should be a somber concern for DIRECTV supporters.

#146 ·
canada does have something like that BY LAW.

That may be true, but there's also a lot of hunger for "do it yourself" these days. I know DirecTV dabbled in having an app on various devices. I'd also think that at this point, maybe they forgo physical DVRs altogether and have a cloud one (heck, the one on AT&T TV is actually pretty darn good functionality wise, still needs some tweaks, but it's decent). Then, satellite just becomes another method of bringing content into your house, like the internet or cable. My cable company offers a cloud DVR, so there's no reason why they couldn't. And if you want a physical hard drive based DVR, you can purchase one (just like buying an Osprey, even though you don't need one). That would completely change the DirecTV model to where they only show up at your house to install a dish, or, for repairs.
With cable it's over the there private network and they may have multicast for live feeds like att uverse.

But not all people have the bandwidth for say 2-4 HD streams at the same time (at bitates higher then uverse) and forget about 4K or higher. Also caps are an issue as well.
maybe we need an cable card 2.0 law both sat and cable qam / cable IPTV.
In the past the VC plugged into the sat box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.