DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Legend
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried my HR21 with native “on” and really can’t notice a difference, other then slower channel surfing. So I set it back to “off” and left it on 1080i. One thing I just noticed is I had it set on 1080i stretch format before, but now I also notice there is a format option of “original format”. Here are my format options. Crop, stretch, pillar box and original format. I now have it set to 1080i original format. Does anybody know what original format means? Is this a better setting then having it on stretch?

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Basically all of these available settings boil down to one thing, what looks best to you. I leave "native" on as I think my Bravia does a better job of scaling than the HR does, but, again, this is what I perceive. I don't use "original" format as my TV is set for what Sony calls "auto-wide" which allows the TV to display everything in OAR, again, my preference. Pillar box works well for me the way I have everything set up. Experiment some, you will find a combination of the best picture and convenience. Enjoy.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Original format means that the DVR sends the signal to the TV with as little processing as possible, giving your TV even more options for processing the signal if you want them.

The bottom line is play around and do what looks best to you.

· Legend
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Original format means that the DVR sends the signal to the TV with as little processing as possible, giving your TV even more options for processing the signal if you want them.

The bottom line is play around and do what looks best to you.
Does this hold true if the native is set to either "on" or "off"?

· Hall Of Fame
2,208 Posts
Mine is set to 1080i and 1080p only with native off and original format works great for me.

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
waynebtx said:
Mine is set to 1080i and 1080p only with native off and original format works great for me.
How does that workout with SD channels?

Mike

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
erict said:
I tried my HR21 with native "on" and really can't notice a difference, other then slower channel surfing. So I set it back to "off" and left it on 1080i. One thing I just noticed is I had it set on 1080i stretch format before, but now I also notice there is a format option of "original format". Here are my format options. Crop, stretch, letter box and original format. I now have it set to 1080i original format. Does anybody know what original format means? Is this a better setting then having it on stretch?
If you have this option [and not pillarbox], then you have it set to a 4:3 TV and your format options are for HD.
If you have a 16:9 TV [and it's setup for it] your format options are for SD channels.

· Hall Of Fame
2,208 Posts
MicroBeta said:
How does that workout with SD channels?

Mike
Works Great the sd upcoverts to 1080i and looks good for sd.

· Legend
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
veryoldschool said:
If you have this option [and not pillarbox], then you have it set to a 4:3 TV and your format options are for HD.
If you have a 16:9 TV [and it's setup for it] your format options are for SD channels.
Yes, you are correct. It should say pillarbox NOT letterbox. I corrected my first post.
So your saying the format options (crop,pillarbox,stretch and original) only effect SD programing and not HD?
This is on my plasma tv.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
erict said:
Yes, you are correct. It should say pillarbox NOT letterbox. I corrected my first post.
So your sayinf the format (crop,pillarbox,stretch and original) only affect SD programing?
So if your questions haven't been completely answered:
with a HDMI connection, native turned off, and set to 1080i, when you tune to an SD channel, "original format" will be the same as stretch.
Now with native turned on and having a 480 resolution on an SD channel what will happen is the DVR will send a "true 4:3" image to the TV. This is where your TV can then use it's default setting for its format functions.
:confused: yet?
Maybe if I post how I use it:
For normal SD I use pillarbox and my TV "sees" this as 16:9. When I'm watching SD letterbox shows, I change to "original format", which drops the pillarbox [bars] and then my TV "sees" just the 4:3 image and my TV default is set to zoom, so it now fills the complete screen.
This is similar to the crop format of the DVR, but my TV does a better job [looks better] so I want to use it.
Before the original format option was added, I needed to change the TV since everything came in 16:9 and the 4:3 defaults won't ever be used.

· Legend
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
veryoldschool said:
So if your questions haven't been completely answered:
with a HDMI connection, native turned off, and set to 1080i, when you tune to an SD channel, "original format" will be the same as stretch.
Now with native turned on and having a 480 resolution on an SD channel what will happen is the DVR will send a "true 4:3" image to the TV. This is where your TV can then use it's default setting for its format functions.
:confused: yet?
Maybe if I post how I use it:
For normal SD I use pillarbox and my TV "sees" this as 16:9. When I'm watching SD letterbox shows, I change to "original format", which drops the pillarbox [bars] and then my TV "sees" just the 4:3 image and my TV default is set to zoom, so it now fills the complete screen.
This is similar to the crop format of the DVR, but my TV does a better job [looks better] so I want to use it.
Before the original format option was added, I needed to change the TV since everything came in 16:9 and the 4:3 defaults won't ever be used.
This stuff is still a little new to me. Nothing like the old days of just turning your TV on:grin: You have just educated me regarding format. I was wondering what it controlled. Now I see it only affects your SD content. Thank you for the explanation;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.