DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
harleylay1 said:
Yes Does Anybody Know What The Best Format To Watch Hd In
Depends on your TV... the Program... and your visual preference.

· AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Depends on your TV... the Program... and your visual preference.
I HAVE AN 51 INCH MAGNAVOX WIDESCREEN REAR PROJECTION I HAVE NOTICED ON THE HD CHANNELS THERE IS STRIPS OF GRAY ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM AO THE PIC UNLESS I STRETCH IT JUST WONDERED IF IT IS NORMAL

· Godfather
253 Posts
harleylay1 said:
I HAVE AN 51 INCH MAGNAVOX WIDESCREEN REAR PROJECTION I HAVE NOTICED ON THE HD CHANNELS THERE IS STRIPS OF GRAY ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM AO THE PIC UNLESS I STRETCH IT JUST WONDERED IF IT IS NORMAL
Next question, which connection type (hdmi, component, composite, svideo) are you using from which receiver?

· Godfather
415 Posts
You can't watch HD via S-Video. It has to be connected via HDMI, DVI, or component (not composite).

· AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
911medic said:
You can't watch HD via S-Video. It has to be connected via HDMI, DVI, or component (not composite).
I JUST HOOKED UP COMPONENT AND THE PIC IS ALL LINES WHY IS THIS DO I HAVE TO KEEP S-VIDEO AND COMPONENY HOOKED TO WATCH SD AND HD

· Godfather
415 Posts
harleylay1 said:
I JUST HOOKED UP COMPONENT AND THE PIC IS ALL LINES WHY IS THIS DO I HAVE TO KEEP S-VIDEO AND COMPONENY HOOKED TO WATCH SD AND HD
What resolutions does your TV support (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)?
What receiver are you using (the HR20)?
It sounds like the receiver is outputting a format your TV doesn't support. Once up & running, you don't need the S-Video connection to watch SD.

(PS--posting in all caps is the forum equivalent of YELLING, just so you know... :D)

· AllStar
77 Posts
Harley,

First don’t type in all CAPS, people hate it. No big deal but just switch off your all caps.

You need to answer a few questions and I’m sure some people can help you out.

#1. What box are you using to receive your DirecTV with? Most of use an HR20-700
#2. Do you know which dish you have? A 3 LNB? A 5 LNB? AT-9? Slimline?
#3. You mentioned HD channels. Could you give a specific example of which HD channel you're talking about? Also, include the channel number.
#4. Can you give your specific model and number of your TV.
#5. What city in Ohio are you in?
#6. Do you subscribe to the HD package?
#7. Do you use an antenna of any kind?
#8. Just to confirm..you said your hooked up through component not composite right?

To answer your one particular question. No, S-Video will not be needed once you get it all hooked up right but this assumes your TV does HD, your dish will accept HD and the box you use to receive DirecTV will do HD as well. We need to confirm all that first.

SD should display fine through component cables once you get everything set up right.

· AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
911medic said:
What resolutions does your TV support (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)?
What receiver are you using (the HR20)?
It sounds like the receiver is outputting a format your TV doesn't support. Once up & running, you don't need the S-Video connection to watch SD.

(PS--posting in all caps is the forum equivalent of YELLING, just so you know... :D)
OK I HOOKED UP MY HD COMPONENT TO AV4 THATS WHAT MY TV REQUIRES I CAN VIEW ALL MY HD CHANNELS BUT AS SOON AS I CHANGE TO AN SD CHANNEL ITS ALL LINES SO DO I NEED TO HOOK UP ANOTHER FOR LIKE AV2 TO VIEW MY SD CHANNELS SINCE LOCALS ARE YET NOT AVAILABLE IN MY AREA YET AND sorry didnt know i have the hr20 and not for sure what resolution it supports anyway to find out thanks

· AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crockett said:
Harley,

First don't type in all CAPS, people hate it. No big deal but just switch off your all caps.

You need to answer a few questions and I'm sure some people can help you out.

#1. What box are you using to receive your DirecTV with? Most of use an HR20-700
#2. Do you know which dish you have? A 3 LNB? A 5 LNB? AT-9? Slimline?
#3. You mentioned HD channels. Could you give a specific example of which HD channel you're talking about? Also, include the channel number.
#4. Can you give your specific model and number of your TV.
#5. What city in Ohio are you in?
#6. Do you subscribe to the HD package?
#7. Do you use an antenna of any kind?
#8. Just to confirm..you said your hooked up through component not composite right?

To answer your one particular question. No, S-Video will not be needed once you get it all hooked up right but this assumes your TV does HD, your dish will accept HD and the box you use to receive DirecTV will do HD as well. We need to confirm all that first.

SD should display fine through component cables once you get everything set up right.
im usind the hr20, i have the 5 LNB i have the hd package but locals not available yet hd channels like 74-78 im in dayton my tv is a magnavox widescreen model number 31mp392h/17 and not using an antenna and yes i think component what is composite

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.