DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
And so I thank you guys still with DBS for waking up my cable company. My digital cable is pretty much the same cost as DBS, through the digital box the analog channels are virtually indistinguishable from the digital, and HD is already available through my digital box. As far as the cable companies only improving in response to the competition provided by DBS, seems like I remember many posts concerned that if there were only one DBS company there would also no longer be any pressure for improvements to take place.

I can understand Rich's concern that digital cable has a picture no better than DBS, because PQ certainly had gone downhill since my Primestar days.

Coming soon on my Cox Digital Cable, DVR and VOD. I hope by the end of the year. Thank you DBS. I don't care why they are doing it, but they are. Plus, the internet connection is great as is my local and long distance phone service.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
jm9 said:
Why can't they concentrate on providing the best picture and sound quality for every channel. The reason I switched to dish was the picture and sound quality. The digital box they provided did not even have an S video connection. If they improve the quality, add a dvr people would switch. Since I will have to buy all new hardware for dish for HD, I might try Comcast who will start offering HD next month. Then after D and E get the HD DVR up and running, figure who has the best programming and hardware. E has let other companies back into my purchasing decision's,
You know, it might help if you would specify who "they" are. There are many cable companies, using a number of different boxes. DirecTV boxes are not all the same, and they aren't the same as Dish boxes, but DBS subs refer to Cable like its all one big monolithic company, with exactly the same service, equipment, and customer service in every area. The quality of picture I receive is just as good as anything I got since Primestar got bought by DirecTV. My customer service is outstanding. They already provide HD. I hope to have my DVR by the end of the year. So if your "they" refers specifically to Comcast in your area, say so. It doesn't apply to my cable company, in my area. In fact, I'm not even sure if you are talking about people switching to cable or Dish.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
James Hill said:
Deductive reasoning suggests that, when jm9 says "they", he is referring to all DBS and cable companies.

If you're going to flame then at least think about what you're flaming first.

And in case your cheerleader regulation pom-poms are blocking your view, all of the cable companies combined are closer to "one big monolithic company" than competing entities.

How many cable companies did you get to pick from in Middle-of-Nowhere Nebraska?

James Hill
James, I hardly think my post to jm9 constitutes much of a "flame". I was asking for clarification and suggesting that he better define the "they". Deductive reasoning suggests that your pom-poms are decidedly devoted to DBS.

I seem to have much more in common with jm9 than you. He is interested in the company that will provide him with what he wants. So am I. I am in favor of healthy DBS companies, and healthy cable companies. I am in favor of competition, because this is what brings all of us upgrades and better services, with a minimum of price increases. I have been served by several cable companies, Primestar and DirecTV. My provider has depended upon location, as when cable was not an option due to living in the middle of an 18 acre lot, and the services available from providers.

Here in the Omaha area of Nebraska I only have access to one cable company. However, here in the middle of nowhere, from posts here I have access to a cable company the rest of you can only dream about. I have no desire to move to "big city" just so I can have crappy service. At least here in Omaha people treat each other nice, including the Cox service reps.

To sum up, my opinion of all the "my company is better than yours" BS is childish. I have no particular loyalty to any provider, I just happen to get good service from the one I have right now. We all benefit from competition. In case anyone else who has only posted here a couple of times thinks I am not only trying to flame someone, but am a troll, take a look at how many posts I have here, and when I registered, and my user #. I'm not just passing by. When I registered here I checked with the admins as to whether they would mind me being here since I did not currently have DBS, but I did know many other people here due to when I did. They welcomed me. I primarily confine myself to the non-dbs section of this site, except when the subject is DBS vs. cable. Then I figure I have a right to jump in.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
Jacob S said:
I saw on CNN Headline News about satellite gaining ground against cable and that the advances cable has is just not enough, that it has to do with price, thats what its all about.
If it were that simple, then the smart thing would have been for cable to have done nothing, and kept prices low. And DBS should never have added local stations, extra channels, better sound, and PVRs. They should have just kept prices as low as possible. I think there is a combination of product+price=value that is the key. And competition is what drives that equation is competition.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
James Hill said:
Let's tone down the rhetoric. None of these companies are worth it.
James, if you think this is inflamatory rhetoric, you have a very thin skin. Unless you are referring to the DBS pom-pom wavers. I was in favor of competition to improve everyones service when I had DBS, and I haven't changed my position. My point is that there are good cable companies out there, and they aren't only in Omaha. I gave my history because I have been accused before of being a troll for the cable companies by those who have only been posting here a short time and don't know me.

As far as your points, you seem to be less than impartial. :grin: :D :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.