DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Icon
1,071 Posts
It's actually three channels (FCS Atlantic, FCS Central, and FCS Pacific), which a lot of duplicate programming from the various Fox Sports RSN's. As far as I know, the full-time channels are only offered to cable systems. I don't even know if the channels exist in HD.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,500 Posts
To flesh it out, FCS, on cable, is sort of its version of the Sports Pack. 98% of the material on the three FCS channels is gleened from the various FSN regional channels. This material is already on DirecTV on the Sports Pack RSNs.

Occasionally, FCS will have original programming not on any of the RSNs. Generally I-AA football, some Big 12 games, and material picked up from OTA syndication in North Dakota or Montana. When this happens, DirecTV spools up the part time FCS channels (there are actually a potential of 3 in the mapping) just for the game.

You will never see DirecTV add FCS full time, as this would bring no additional material to the system.

·
Armchair Referee
529 Posts
Fish628 said:
i have a (perhaps) related question... is Fox Sports Net the same as what you guys are talking about, and is Fox Sports Net included in the Entertainment/bottom tier package?
If anything, you would be able to see a handful of programming intended for FCS on the local Fox Sports Net. If you have FCS on cable, that will supplement the college sports coverage among the various Fox Sports Nets.

Since DirecTV carries almost all the FSNs, FCS would be moot sans the original programming.

The last I checked, I don't think FSN is on the Entertainment package. It is Choice or above in most cases.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,500 Posts
Fish628 said:
i have a (perhaps) related question... is Fox Sports Net the same as what you guys are talking about..?
Fox Sports Net is a group of channels, genericly called "regional sports networks" or RSNs. The programming on each will vary greatly, as they are based on your local pro teams, and supplement that with college games, and an underlaying "network" of shows and national college games.

On DirecTV, Choice will get you (in most cases) the RSN serving your local area. Sports Pack will get you all all of the others (with the pro content blacked out), leaving a selection of college games and shows that might not be on your local RSN. On cable, most systems will likewise have your local RSN, and then offer the 3 channel FCS package, which will contain college games and shows gleened from the varrious FSN member stations.

The only material on FCS that is not gleened from the FSNs is that presented on the DirecTV part-time FCS feeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.