DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Godfather
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who enjoy, commercial free movies, old or new, it seems that FOX Movie Channel has decided to split their programming into two 12 hour blocks.

From 3:00 AM to 3:00 PM, the channel will still be called FOX Movie Channel and run commercial free, uncut, older movies. But, from 3:00 PM to 3:00 AM, FOX Movie Channel becomes FXM (Movies from FOX). This block will run commercial and will be pretty much be like FX; but it will only show movies.

FOX always had the two services, FMC and FXM, but it looks like they merged these two services onto one channel. So, like MGMHD, AMC and IFC, another situation of losing a commercial free movie channel to mini infomercials, movie previews and numerous commercial breaks. Though, FXM claims that the commercials will be limited.

Well, DISH yesterday provided us with EPIX3 HD and an the rebranded SD version of EPIX3 to EPIX Drive-In. So, there something to offset this chnage.

·
Godfather
359 Posts
tampa8 said:
Good catch. Thanks.
I normally have my guide set for my personal favorites list, and seldom check to see what changes are available. So I usually get notified of changes by seeing them posted here instead of from Dish. I also normally find out about free offers here (such as the 3 months of free HBO & Showtime that just recently ended for me :( )

This board is pretty vital for me :)

·
Godfather
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And update. After watching "The Day After Tomorrow" last night, the commercials started 30 minutes into the movie. There were interruptions every 15 minutes afterwards. The commercial breaks seemed to last between 3 - 5 minutes each. So, "limited interruptions" is a misnomer.

·
Legend
213 Posts
I just wish FXM (err FMC) and TCM was in HD. TCM is showing The Yearling on February 1st at 9:45am. I'm going to DVR it. IMDB and Amazon both list it as 1.33:1 aspect ratio so even though it's in SD there shouldn't be any cropping or hard matting?

·
Godfather
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NewForceFiveFan said:
I just wish FXM (err FMC) and TCM was in HD. TCM is showing The Yearling on February 1st at 9:45am. I'm going to DVR it. IMDB and Amazon both list it as 1.33:1 aspect ratio so even though it's in SD there shouldn't be any cropping or hard matting?
TCM has been in HD for months.

Also, wide screen movies began to be produced, in 1953, starting with "The Robe" (20th Century Fox). Though, it took several years afterwards, before all movies were made in the wide screen fromat.

"The Yearling" was made in 1946, seven years before the introduction of wide screen. On TCM (SD or HD) it would be shown cropped on the left and right.

·
Legend
213 Posts
Not on D* it's not. Still SD only. The reason I was asking about aspect ratio is some movie companies crop top/bottom what was originally a 1.33:1 aspect ratio movie into 16:9. One example is the tv miniseries Stephen King's IT when it was released on dvd.

·
Godfather
569 Posts
nmetro said:
TCM has been in HD for months.
Yes… and no.

TCM HD exists, but they broadcast no actual HD content; all their programming is still just upconverted from SD, so no new picture information is actually present over the SD feed.

nmetro said:
"The Yearling" was made in 1946, seven years before the introduction of wide screen. On TCM (SD or HD) it would be shown cropped on the left and right.
No, on TCM SD it would be shown full screen; it would only be pillarboxed to 4:3 on TCM HD, as TCM SD is, like all SD channels, natively 4:3.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,226 Posts
kucharsk said:
Yes… and no.

TCM HD exists, but they broadcast no actual HD content; all their programming is still just upconverted from SD, so no new picture information is actually present over the SD feed.

No, on TCM SD it would be shown full screen; it would only be pillarboxed to 4:3 on TCM HD, as TCM SD is, like all SD channels, natively 4:3.
They're remastering all of their movies to HD I read.

·
Godfather/Supporter
2,033 Posts
I was thinking I read some are in HD now, Claudine comes to mind, but maybe that was coming and not yet. Also there is a marked difference in PQ from the SD feed to the HD feed. Not as murky and more defined.

·
Godfather
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kucharsk said:
Yes… and no.

While TCM HD is upconverted; the picture quality is better on the HD feed.

On an HDTV set; it would still be shown letterboxed to the sides. A 4:3 movie would not fill a 16:9 screen, unless one sets their receiver to do so.

Both these experiences are from using a 46" Sony HDTV with a 722k receiver.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
nmetro said:
On an HDTV set; it would still be shown letterboxed to the sides.
Letterboxing doesn't occur on the sides. Typically you'll see one of the following:
Code:
Letterboxing = Horizontal mattes added to top and bottom.
Pillarboxing = Vertical mattes added to left and right.
Windowboxing = When Letterboxing and Pillarboxing happens at the same time.
Through DISH our PBS station is Windowboxed and it's quite annoying. IIRC, the OTA isn't, which means DISH is adding the Pillars.

·
Legend
287 Posts
There isn't much doubt that the Fox Movie Channel is going after teenagers, fans of comic-book oriented action films, and video game addicts. Any bets they'll try and stretch this FXM programming to all hours of the day?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.