DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· AllStar
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Direct TV website to see what games are available in HD in my area on Fox Sports West 1 & 2 and I noticed that both the Laker and Clipper games are only in SD. Baseball and Hockey are available, but no NBA. And I know for certain that the Laker games are broadcast in HD because they mention it prior to the start of every game in HD. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
GoLaLakers said:
I was looking at the Direct TV website to see what games are available in HD in my area on Fox Sports West 1 & 2 and I noticed that both the Laker and Clipper games are only in SD. Baseball and Hockey are available, but no NBA. And I know for certain that the Laker games are broadcast in HD because they mention it prior to the start of every game in HD. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks
Both Fox Sports and DirecTV are currentlylimited in their ability to provide a large number of HD RSN programs. During the baseball season, only home games (and possibly not all) were broadcast, so these games might be in HD only in the home team's area. It looks like the Clippers don't have a game today. The Lakers-Sonics game today will be in HD in Seattle. It appears on the guide of my H20 as being on both channels 95 and 96 (strange). Since 95 is a CONUS channel, perhaps it will be available in your area. although that might require a league pass subscription.

· AllStar
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in the Los Angeles area, so all of the Laker home games are broadcast on FSN and the road games are broadcast on KCAL, a local affiliate in our area. Because of this I think the Seattle feed ill be blacked out in my area, even though I do have the NBA league pass.

But since you mentioned capacity why would they be able to show Los Angeles Kings games or USC Football games, but not Laker games? LA is a Laker town so I'd imagine fans would much rather watch LAKER games in HD then watching the Kings or Mighty Ducks.

· Legend
152 Posts
DirecTV channel 95 listings in my guide are so unreliable. Either a HD game is listed, and then not shown, or there is no listing, and then it pops on. There were a few NCAA football games earlier this year that were shown on FSN HD, and trying to set the DTivo to record them was almost impossible. I don't know why DirecTV can't just list what you can get in the guide, and not list games that will be blacked out.
The Laker Seattle game Sunday night was not shown on FSN HD in Los Angeles on DirecTV, but it was in the guide.
Sloppy, is what it is.

· AllStar
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to agree the guide data is pretty inconsistent. As far as the Laker game this weekend it was available in HD on Seattle's RSN, however in the Los Angeles area we got blacked out because the game was on KCAL. My brother who lives about 300 miles from me got it though.

One of the main reason's I rushed out to get the new HR20 was to watch the Laker games, and it's disappointing not to see them in HD at least for the home games.

· AllStar
54 Posts
GoLaLakers said:
One of the main reason's I rushed out to get the new HR20 was to watch the Laker games, and it's disappointing not to see them in HD at least for the home games.
Agreed!! As of tomorrow (Feb 2) KCAL is offering Laker games in HD, but to Time Warner Cable subscribers. It has been very frustrating to chase down rsn hd feeds on 95 and 96. 11b seems to have addressed the recording issue, but the guide info is still completely useless.

KCAL 9 is now advertising Lakers HD channel 400-something for TW subscribers, but it also says "9 DT." What is DT? Could it be D*? I'm hoping that somehow we'll also get the benefit. KCAL's site mentions nothing of D* subs getting Laker hd, but has glowing happy talk between KCAL and TW officials...

Which brings me to another question... on my ota feed, 9-1 will sometimes show the game in 16:9 hd, such as the Lakers /Knicks game the other night from MSG. But many other games are stubbornly recevied as 4:3 and the pq is horrible. Does anyone know why that is?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.