DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Free equipment UPGRADE or REPLACEMENT. Which is it and does it matter?

I have two DVR's and two minis. An HR22, HR54-700, and two mini C41W in service. No contract. A couple months ago DTV replaced my old Genie (dead HDD) with the HR54 and included 1 month of their $8.99 mo. Protection Plan for free. Done. Since my HR22 is old, I thought I would test out replacing it before cancelling the plan. No can do. No DVR replacements. We will send you an HS17 and take back the two DVR's at no cost and no contract. Two different agents called it a "replacement" not an "upgrade". They told me they were able to do this because I have the Protection Plan. Hmmm?

Does that sound right? Would I not have been offered the "replacement/upgrade" at no cost or contract if I didn't have the Protection Plan? I am happy with the two DVR setup that we have but have some concerns about how long the HR22 will last. We don't use it much but it works (for now) and is a good backup. Since I am not sure the Protection Plan is required to get the free replacement/upgrade, I am mixed about my options.

1. Do the HS17 free upgrade now and give up the DVR's, then cancel the Protection Plan.
2. Keep everything as is, drop the Protection Plan and hope there is a cost-free (no contract) option in place when my HR22 finally dies.
3. Other options from people on this forum that know more than I do about this topic.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
When you replace like for like equipment (HR54 for another HR54) there is no fee or commitment. When you replace equipment for different equipment (HR54 for HS17) there is a fee without the Protection Plan and a new commitment is triggered.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,987 Posts
Would I not have been offered the "replacement/upgrade" at no cost or contract if I didn't have the Protection Plan?
Without the Protection Plan, DIRECTV only replaces leased equipment that has failed and there may be shipping costs involved in that scenario. Free upgrades (such as they are these days) are one of the big selling points of a long-term subscription to the Protection Plan.

I the grand scheme, DIRECTV doesn't really have anything to offer that is a huge improvement over what you have if wireless clients are a necessity. Perhaps your sole upgrade path would be 4K but there's no wireless Mini option there. 4K would require a truck roll to install and verify cabling for the 4K Mini(s).

When your HR22 fails, they may replace it with an HR24 or they may send you a wired Mini to replace it (depending entirely on their inventory of refurbished equipment at the time).

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These replies are informative. Not sure it makes my decision any easier though.

1. Since both DVR's are in the same location, swapping the HR22 for a wired mini does not seem to help me. I would still only have one recorder.
2. I do not need 4k at this time.
3. Both agents told me replacing the HR22 with another stand alone DVR is not an option.

So it looks like I roll the dice with the HR22 and forget about getting an HS17 at this time. Still pondering whether to keep paying the $8.99 for the PP.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
So you have the HR22 and the HR54 on the same TV? So in that case you have 3 TV's? One with both the HR22 and HR54 and one each with a client right? If you want the HS17 you will still have the same amount of tuners (7) that you now have. You would have an HS17 (7 tuners) and 3 clients. The HS17 doesn not connect to a TV. If all 3 TV's are being watched at the same time that still leaves you with 4 tuners for recording.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,987 Posts
Still pondering whether to keep paying the $8.99 for the PP.
The Protection Plan is perhaps most valuable if you anticipate problems with the antenna system. It does cover the cost of shipping a replacement but that's too much to pay for just shipping.
Since all of your cabled equipment is in one place, there's not much value there

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More detail on our setup.
1. HR22 and HR 54 are HDMI connections to an A/V receiver (media center) that outputs to a 1080P projection TV.
2. There are two rarely used minis upstairs in separate bedrooms/TVs.
3. Currently, the only reason for the HR22 is to preserve the few irreplaceable recordings on it and as "insurance" to record/playback if something goes wanky with the HR54.
4. We rarely use more than 3 tuners at once. Exception is recording the NFL on Sundays. Then we might use 5 tuners.

We have only had the PP for a couple months. My intention was to use it to replace the aging HR22. After finding DirecTV won't do that, one thought is to cancel the PP and re-up when I want to upgrade. Or, does DirecTV require the PP be in place for X amount of time before exercising that option?

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
More detail on our setup.
1. HR22 and HR 54 are HDMI connections to an A/V receiver (media center) that outputs to a 1080P projection TV.
2. There are two rarely used minis upstairs in separate bedrooms/TVs.
3. Currently, the only reason for the HR22 is to preserve the few irreplaceable recordings on it and as "insurance" to record/playback if something goes wanky with the HR54.
4. We rarely use more than 3 tuners at once. Exception is recording the NFL on Sundays. Then we might use 5 tuners.

We have only had the PP for a couple months. My intention was to use it to replace the aging HR22. After finding DirecTV won't do that, one thought is to cancel the PP and re-up when I want to upgrade. Or, does DirecTV require the PP be in place for X amount of time before exercising that option?
You will lose those recordings on the HR22 no matter if you upgrade to an HS17 or if you could swap it for an HR24.

·
Icon
2,698 Posts
When you replace like for like equipment (HR54 for another HR54) there is no fee or commitment. When you replace equipment for different equipment (HR54 for HS17) there is a fee without the Protection Plan and a new commitment is triggered.
Maybe. Maybe not. I recently replaced an HR44, two HR24's and an RVU setup with an HS17 and four 4K clients. I did NOT pay for any equipment. The only thing that I did pay for was a $50 installation fee. I'm a long-time customer with the Premier package. Since the $50 installation fee is less than 6 months of the protection plan, I'm more than happy paying a one-time $50 fee than a monthly $9 fee.

A new commitment was triggered by this upgrade.

·
1,323 Posts
Maybe. Maybe not. I recently replaced an HR44, two HR24's and an RVU setup with an HS17 and four 4K clients. I did NOT pay for any equipment. The only thing that I did pay for was a $50 installation fee. I'm a long-time customer with the Premier package. Since the $50 installation fee is less than 6 months of the protection plan, I'm more than happy paying a one-time $50 fee than a monthly $9 fee.

A new commitment was triggered by this upgrade.
your better off putting that 9.00 in the bank and letting it gain intrest vs giving it to AT&T :)

·
1,323 Posts
These replies are informative. Not sure it makes my decision any easier though.

1. Since both DVR's are in the same location, swapping the HR22 for a wired mini does not seem to help me. I would still only have one recorder.
2. I do not need 4k at this time.
3. Both agents told me replacing the HR22 with another stand alone DVR is not an option.

So it looks like I roll the dice with the HR22 and forget about getting an HS17 at this time. Still pondering whether to keep paying the $8.99 for the PP.
i would go 4k for the faster processor of the client. and so i would not have to get into another contract later on!!!

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what I am taking away from these comments are:

1. I gain 4k with the HS17 through a wired client. I assume the mini that comes with the HS17 is a wired 4k client. I keep my two wireless minis/clients.
2. No equipment cost for the upgrade to HS17 but will require a new 2 year commitment if I don't have an active PP for at least 30 days.
3. I will lose my HR22/HR54 and recordings with a replacement or upgrade.

Thank you to everyone for their input. Did I miss anything?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,987 Posts
1. I gain 4k with the HS17 through a wired client. I assume the mini that comes with the HS17 is a wired 4k client.
Whether you use your HR54 or upgrade to an HS17, they both require a C61K for 4K content and the only form that the C61K comes in is wired. There are no wireless 4K clients (and fairly likely never will be). No additional wiring would be required if you replaced the HR22 with a C61K but it would be if you retained the HR54/HR22 configuration.
I keep my two wireless minis/clients.
They should work.
2. No equipment cost for the upgrade to HS17 but will require a new 2 year commitment if I don't have an active PP for at least 30 days.
How DIRECTV treats you is uniquely between you and DIRECTV. An HS17 and a C61K are likely independent upgrades since you could add a C61K to your existing system.
3. I will lose my HR22/HR54 and recordings with a replacement or upgrade.
This has always been the case with any DIRECTV DVR. The content is bound to the DVR hardware that it was recorded on (although OTA recordings may be salvaged by tech nerds using some rather complex techniques).

·
5 Posts
100% do NOT trust DirecTV when they say "and no contract". They lie. Period. Been in that situation - but with even more deception on the front-end when we originally signed up for service at this address. But regardless - when we were offered "free upgraded equipment" (so we could take advantage of the 4K service that we had been promised, but were actually not provided equipment that would actually do 4K... again, long story). We were out of contract at the time - and since I was frustrated with having been lied to at the beginning, was going to cancel - but they offered a free upgrade of my equipment and free installation, with NO additional contract. I actually repeated this last part back multiple times and was assured there was no additional contract... I stupidly took their word for it.
New equipment installed and mostly worked well. Then saw a rather large rate increase. Called to ask about it and was told I could pay it or cancel my service. So I said I wanted to cancel. She then stated my instructions on how to send the equipment back (UPS store), and said I would be billed for a final mont plus several hundred dollars for early termination of my contract... I argued and was finally transferred to a "supervisor" who went round and round, then said to read the tiny fine print on the email I received when they upgraded my equipment. She said that the fine print superseded anything I was told on the phone. Sure enough, After actually zooming in, the email said something along the lines of "by confirming this service or equipment installation appointment, you are agreeing to a 2 year contract, see terms and conditions".

So - No matter what they tell you on the phone, be prepared to be bound by a new contract with cancellation penalties.

Free equipment UPGRADE or REPLACEMENT. Which is it and does it matter?

I have two DVR's and two minis. An HR22, HR54-700, and two mini C41W in service. No contract. A couple months ago DTV replaced my old Genie (dead HDD) with the HR54 and included 1 month of their $8.99 mo. Protection Plan for free. Done. Since my HR22 is old, I thought I would test out replacing it before cancelling the plan. No can do. No DVR replacements. We will send you an HS17 and take back the two DVR's at no cost and no contract. Two different agents called it a "replacement" not an "upgrade". They told me they were able to do this because I have the Protection Plan. Hmmm?

Does that sound right? Would I not have been offered the "replacement/upgrade" at no cost or contract if I didn't have the Protection Plan? I am happy with the two DVR setup that we have but have some concerns about how long the HR22 will last. We don't use it much but it works (for now) and is a good backup. Since I am not sure the Protection Plan is required to get the free replacement/upgrade, I am mixed about my options.

1. Do the HS17 free upgrade now and give up the DVR's, then cancel the Protection Plan.
2. Keep everything as is, drop the Protection Plan and hope there is a cost-free (no contract) option in place when my HR22 finally dies.
3. Other options from people on this forum that know more than I do about this topic.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not approved the installation yet but this cut-paste is from my upcoming bill.

Genie 2$399.00$399.00
Wireless Genie Mini$99.00$99.00

$0 Wireless Mini w/Genie2 with Agreement - Loyalty-$99.00-$99.00
$0 Genie 2 with Agreement - Loyalty-$399.00-$399.00

I was suspicious about the wording, "with agreement". Two agents told me there would not be a contract because it was a replacement on the PP, not an upgrade. Not real clear to me.

The more I read about this the more hesitant I am about making a change.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Every email I get from them regarding my service always says I agreed to a new 24 month agreement. I call and they check and there is no 24 month agreement. I would not be shocked if I ever decide to cancel they say I have a 24 month agreement.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,987 Posts
Two agents told me there would not be a contract because it was a replacement on the PP, not an upgrade.
From the Protection Plan explainer page (since the legal page appears to be down at the moment):
Rectangle Violet Font Magenta Logo

The "1" footnote brings up this pop-up:
Azure Rectangle Font Handwriting Electronic device

A replacement would be an HR24 for the HR22 or a HR54 for the HR54 and only if either was toast. An upgrade is what you do to get the latest receiver. I'd walk away from this offer unless you can get something in writing on DIRECTV letterhead.

·
1,323 Posts
Every email I get from them regarding my service always says I agreed to a new 24 month agreement. I call and they check and there is no 24 month agreement. I would not be shocked if I ever decide to cancel they say I have a 24 month agreement.
every e-mail i get from them is never the correct monthly rate :rolleyes: :unsure::LOL:

·
1,323 Posts
if i'm gonna upgrade my hardware then i'm gonna want new customer pricing as well if it involves a 2 year if not i'll start looking elsewhere

1 - 20 of 30 Posts