DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
if i'm gonna upgrade my hardware then i'm gonna want new customer pricing as well if it involves a 2 year if not i'll start looking elsewhere
What makes you think that getting new equipment entitles you to new customer pricing? The other DBS outfit puts their new customer cost (Subscriber Acquisition Cost) at nearly $1,000 (equipment, installation and programming package discounts) and that's an awful lot so spend on a customer you already have.

·
1,359 Posts
What makes you think that getting new equipment entitles you to new customer pricing? The other DBS outfit puts their new customer cost (Subscriber Acquisition Cost) at nearly $1,000 (equipment, installation and programming package discounts) and that's an awful lot so spend on a customer you already have.
broadcasters can negotiate better deals with station owners why shouldnt the cutomer be able to do the same thing. a 1000.00 in hardware i highly doubt that since it was mass produced. i remember working at seagate and manufactures would buy HDD'S. they bought so many of them they got em for pennies on the dollar with no warranty. all of these companies playing the rate game :mad:

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
broadcasters can negotiate better deals with station owners why shouldnt the cutomer be able to do the same thing. a 1000.00 in hardware i highly doubt that since it was mass produced. i remember working at seagate and manufactures would buy HDD'S. they bought so many of them they got em for pennies on the dollar with no warranty. all of these companies playing the rate game :mad:
What "better deals" do you think they are negotiating with station owners? Prices always go up, and by a lot. Mediacom is charging me over $22/month for my local stations. Five years ago it was $5/month.

If you want new customer deals cancel Directv and get Dish. Then after two years cancel and get Directv.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,503 Posts
broadcasters can negotiate better deals with station owners why shouldnt the cutomer be able to do the same thing. a 1000.00 in hardware i highly doubt that since it was mass produced.
DISH's filing with the Security and Exchange Commission isn't a wild guess. It is their carefully calculated average cost for a new customer. Of course this includes a new dish and wire but the real cost is labor. The upgrades that you speak of require a truck roll which isn't cheap in addition to some hardware that DIRECTV seems to be very proud of given the perhaps greater than cost charge they demand to enter into a long-term lease.

·
Super Moderator
53,904 Posts
Mass produced for a single satellite provider with a few million subscribers is a different scale than hard drives that could be purchased by thousands of companies. And while there was a time where DIRECTV did charge $1000 (or more) for equipment, harsh is referring to a statistic "Subscriber Acquisition Cost" which is the average cost of obtaining a new subscriber. Not just the cost of the equipment.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
DTV sent me an email showing my upcoming bill. In the contents was this statement:
"You have accepted a 24 month programming agreement..."
Of course this is after two agents told me on the phone that here would be no contract for the replacement/upgrade that I ordered.
The new equipment has not been shipped/installed yet so I cancelled the order along with my PP and confirmed that I do not have a contract on my account.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
EVERY email I get from them about my bill is has that statement that I agreed to a new 24 month agreement and every time I call to check on it they tell me I do not have a contract.

·
1,359 Posts
When they replaced our hr-54 with an hs-17 with one extra 4k mini there was no contract extension. Of course they insisted I get the hs-17. I even called in asking em when my contract is up and no change.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts