DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Mentor
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is anyway to get a hd upgrade for existing customers for free? I have dtv but I want the hd service and I don't wanna pay $100 for the reciever.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Possibly--a few weeks ago I checked the DTV website to see what deals there were on a HD DVR. That was offered for $199, but I could have received either a R15 or H20 for free. The page looks different now, but you never know....

· Mentor
36 Posts
Go online and log into your account. Click on Upgrade My System then continue on the next page. This will list what they are offering you. I did it a couple of weeks ago and got the H20, 5LBN dish, Installation, and Shipping all free.

· Icon
869 Posts
I got the same thing: $199 for the HD DVR including the dish, installation, etc. It doesn't give you the option, though, to choose more than 1, so I don't know if they're limiting you or you just have to call the 800 # to do more than that. Of course, at $200 a pop, I don't know that I'd be paying $600 to do all 3 of my TV's.

Hence my hope for the Home Media Center sometime this century.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
It obviously costs DTV more to supply a HD DVR than a standard receiver. I suppose they could eliminate the upgrade fee and tie the monthly lease fee to the equipment, such as

D11 $5.00
R15 15.00
H20 15.00
HR20 20.00

In the long run this would probably cost the customer much more.

Asked why they couldn't just send me a new HR20 (they will ship the other boxes), since all that was needed was to switch the cables and run the setup, but was told that since these were so expensive, Directv wanted to make sure that the box wasn't damaged, etc. I didn't want to argue the point, since the CSR was just reading the script.

· Legend
208 Posts
I wonder if so called 'a' list customers can get them shipped. a-listers get free upgrades every 6 months. if they ask.

· Godfather
298 Posts
bobnielsen said:
Interesting thought. How does one get on the A list? I have been a good customer for four years (but no ST or other pricey stuff).
I'm on the "A" list, don't know how. no ST no HD got rid of HBO (money reasons) but for some reason every time I call they say I'm on the "A" list and they treat me real good.:shrug:

· Godfather
298 Posts
fratwell said:
I believe being on the A-list means that your bill has been paid on time (e.g. auto payment)
I don't have auto-payment.

· Mentor
32 Posts
We called D* and told them we were diconnecting and going to dish because of a way better offer and....got the H20(could have got HR20 but wouldn't use the recorder), new slim-line dish, hd programming,premium channels for [email protected] for 12 mos. and $10 off our bill for 12 mos..All I can say is hope you get the right CSR:)

5 Posts
tallstack said:
We called D* and told them we were diconnecting and going to dish because of a way better offer and....got the H20(could have got HR20 but wouldn't use the recorder), new slim-line dish, hd programming,premium channels for [email protected] for 12 mos. and $10 off our bill for 12 mos..All I can say is hope you get the right CSR:)
Dang, I called three different times today and all I was offered was a cold shower...

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Call retention. Tell them cable will do it for free. They will match. I did and got the hd dvr for free. Did it two months before that when I bought my 4 MPEG 4 boxes for cheap off e-bay and got a free A-9 dish for free and no install charge. Remember if you don't ask you don't get.

· AllStar
56 Posts
DonCorleone said:
I got the same thing: $199 for the HD DVR including the dish, installation, etc. It doesn't give you the option, though, to choose more than 1, so I don't know if they're limiting you or you just have to call the 800 # to do more than that. Of course, at $200 a pop, I don't know that I'd be paying $600 to do all 3 of my TV's.

Hence my hope for the Home Media Center sometime this century.
You should have called them and made them an offer they couldn't refuse. :grin:

· AllStar
81 Posts
Here is what I did to get 2 free H20's. Sent an email to Direct TV wondering what it would cost to upgrade to HD(End of May). Now I was still under a comment from a DVR(Free) for another year. Direct TV tried calling me while I was at work(home phone). They sent me an email stating they tried to call me and had a number to call them back. I called and the price started out at $199.00 but when I told them that Dish had more to offer the price dropped to $0. So go the AT9 and H20-600 installed for free. July had a Tivo going out, called and they(Direct TV) installed a new DVR(R15 - works for what we need). Then late last fall when I was hoping to go the HR20 route(don't want to pay $299) Direct TV had free H20/R15 upgrade. So I order on line and Direct TV sent a free H20-100 by Fedx. Boxes are cheaper now then when I first got Direct TV(1998 - pay over $450 for 2 boxes):)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.