DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking all over for anything new other than the "You've Been Turbocharged" screensaver. Then I notice on the screen saver that it says to learn more: http://www.dishnetwork.com/turbocharged
Well, guess what. There's an offer there that reads as follows:
Get the most out of your new Turbo-charged HD system with even more great HD channels - test drive PlatinumHD FREE for 3 months* ($30 value).
You have to subscribe, you get three $10 credits. You have to "downgrade" to not continue to pay which may cost you $5.00. But you get the Olympic programming on UniversalHD.

Now I have to call and demand the $30 credit since I already subscribe.

Edit: You have to be an HD customer, of course. And if for any reason the link fails, here's the screen I got.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got this early because I was one of the few that got the new software release today. Note: it has a problem they're working on, so don't be miffed because you weren't selected to be the first to get the glitch.

· Icon
324 Posts
phrelin said:
So I'm looking all over for anything new other than the "You've Been Turbocharged" screensaver. Then I notice on the screen saver that it says to learn more: http://www.dishnetwork.com/turbocharged
Well, guess what. There's an offer there that reads as follows:
You have to subscribe, you get three $10 credits. You have to "downgrade" to not continue to pay which may cost you $5.00. But you get the Olympic programming on UniversalHD.

Now I have to call and demand the $30 credit since I already subscribe.

Edit: You have to be an HD customer, of course. And if for any reason the link fails, here's the screen I got.

Seems to be only for AT customers, i wonder if us latino folk can get it too.

· Legend
140 Posts
Can we actaully get the $30 credit if we already subscribe to Ultimate HD? (or whatever it's called now)

· Legend
237 Posts
I signed up over the phone. Sounds like a pretty good offer, especially with the Olympics.

This is what my account looks like now:

Current Programming: America's Top 200, GoldHD

Local Channels: Nashville, TN DMA Package

Premium Channels: 1 Yr Cinemax for a Penny with Autopay Participation, PlatinumHD

International or
A La Carte or Add-ons: Fox Sports South, SportSouth, DISH Home Protection Plan, DISH Network DVR Service Fee, AMERICA'S TOP 250 BONUS PAK

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JackDobiash said:
Can we actaully get the $30 credit if we already subscribe to Ultimate HD? (or whatever it's called now)
My assumption is that they did not intend for that by the way the item is worded.

But I don't know yet. Late last night I used the web site email form asking "billing" that question and I sent the same question to the [email protected] email address, asking in such a way that they know I'm already a bit miffed over the no-TurboHD policy and that a "sorry, not if you already get it" answer will be very disturbing to me, a long time customer. My intent was to have this issue addressed from the bottom up and the top down simultaneously. I have no response from either this morning.

I'll post the response if I get one.

· Icon
719 Posts
I just downgraded my HD from Ultimate to Essentials two days ago. Do you think they'd let me go back up to Platinum for this deal? I don't see why not, but who knows?

· Mentor
35 Posts
Taco Lover said:
I just downgraded my HD from Ultimate to Essentials two days ago. Do you think they'd let me go back up to Platinum for this deal? I don't see why not, but who knows?
I just downgraded myself about 3 weeks ago and today in my online account under "My Offers" I had the PlatinumHD offer so I signed up online.

Also on there was the HBO/Starz offer.

Attached is a screen shot.

Attachments

· Icon
719 Posts
scandalous said:
I just downgraded myself about 3 weeks ago and today in my online account under "My Offers" I had the PlatinumHD offer so I signed up online.

Also on there was the HBO/Starz offer.

Attached is a screen shot.
Aha! I have that, too. Might as well do it.

Thanks.

ETA: it told me they can't do it online and that I have to call a number to do it.

· Mentor
35 Posts
Taco Lover said:
Aha! I have that, too. Might as well do it.

Thanks.

ETA: it told me they can't do it online and that I have to call a number to do it.
I guess I was lucky didn't have to call.

I am pretty excited I get WFN for 3 months Free!!!
J/K :lol:

· Icon
324 Posts
scandalous said:
I guess I was lucky didn't have to call.

I am pretty excited I get WFN for 3 months Free!!!
J/K :lol:
I just got this deal with the Online Chat. They better not charge me!:lol:

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
Taco Lover said:
IMHO Ultimate just isn't worth $10.

· AllStar
79 Posts
Taco Lover said:
I know... I had it. But if they want to give it to me for 3 months, especially if UniversalHD will have Olympic coverage, then I'll take it.
I had AT 200 w/Essentials HD. When I went online to look at my account, it says I have Silver HD with Platinum HD, and AT 200. So did they upgrade me for a trial period or for good? It doesn't appear that I'm paying more than I was.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kal915 said:
They just charged me for it right now. Boy am i mad!:mad:
You're supposed to get a $10.00 credit each month for three months to offset the charge.

· Icon
710 Posts
Taco Lover said:
I know... I had it. But if they want to give it to me for 3 months, especially if UniversalHD will have Olympic coverage, then I'll take it.
Ditto. This just isn't worth an additional $10. It will be cancelled on the 90th day. Maybe it's time for the FCC (heaven forbid!) to reconsider ala carte pricing. Why create a tier with a movie channel (HD Movie), a commercial movie channel (Universal), a Fishing channel, Smithsonian and others? Chances are you may want one or two, but it's doubrful anyone will crave them all.

Again, it's quantity over quality. I don't care that my service provider offers 1,000 channels. I would like to have the option to buy only those channels that I want to watch.

Imagine if you went to the theater to see Batman and the theater forced you pay $100 for the ticket because they had different movies on nine other screens........regardless of whether or not you had the time or the desire to see any of them.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
moman19 said:
Maybe it's time for the FCC (heaven forbid!) to reconsider ala carte pricing. Why create a tier with a movie channel (HD Movie), a commercial movie channel (Universal), a Fishing channel, Smithsonian and others? Chances are you may want one or two, but it's doubrful anyone will crave them all.
The problem with a la carte is that most people seem to be under the impression that it will automatically cost them les. The only thing that we can probably assume is that 1 channel would cost less than the whole package/suite... but even that is a tough assumption sometimes.

Back in the Day when HBO was $10 and ultimately rose to $15 or so... it was just one channel. Over the years they added to the HBO suite but the price has stayed relatively the same... this is an example of how the bundling improved things as people were clearly willing to pay a premium for just the one channel and were rewarded later with more.

When Dish first started with HD they had one channel for $7.99... When I first got HD with Dish it was either $7.99 for Discovery HD Theater OR $9.99 for a suite of 5 for just $2 more than the a la carte price of that one channel.

People assume that if there are 10 channels in a package for $10, that they could get each for just $1... but it will almost assuredly not work that way. Some channels are cheaper in the suite because more people are getting them... IF everything were a la carte then the channels would all increase in price. So while it might be possible to get 1 channel from the suite and save money... odds are that 2-3 channels would end up costing close to what the whole suite costs now... so most consumers would end up paying more in the long run for less.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.