DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in Feb, there was Dtv website deal where you typed in "DVR4ME", and you got a Tivo. Well I did this, and now they are saying I signed up for another two years. I thought that it was a no commitment deal, I remember that there was a thread that proving that it was. Anybody know a way to get out of this?

· Legend
256 Posts
I did this back in Feb and did not have a commitment attached to it. I may have some of the paperwork printed off at home. It was actually the "DVR4ME" promo

It was definitely not with a commitment.

I ended up getting the Tivo and an R15 when the tech came to install a new line.

Found a couple threads both that talk about the deala and mention no extra commitment:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=3729721&#post3729721

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=281793&page=1&pp=40

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=54258&highlight=dvr4me

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
All Advanced Equipment Upgrades have a 2yr commitment with them and Standard Equipment have 1yr commitment commitments have been aound it was changed to 2yrs for advanced equipment in 08/2005

· Legend
256 Posts
naijai said:
All Advanced Equipment Upgrades have a 2yr commitment with them and Standard Equipment have 1yr commitment commitments have been aound it was changed to 2yrs for advanced equipment in 08/2005
That s true in most cases, except this one. This one was definitely not a commitment attached to it.

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Tonedeaf said:
That s true in most cases, except this one. This one was definitely not a commitment attached to it.
The only way that there would be no commitment would be if the dvr is being upgraded due to change of equipment on Directv's part and then it will be applied to the individual's acct automatically

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
The offer back then was the DirecTv DVR Blowout (or some very similar name). The code for ordering this was DVR4ME. They were unloading a bunch of back inventory of SD DirectTiVo units.

This was the response I got from D* when asking specifically if taking advantage of this offer would trigger a new two-year (DVR equipment) commitment:

Dear JLucPicard,

Thank you for writing. I apologize for any confusion there has been about this offer. There is no programming commitment when the DIRECTV DVR blowout offer for existing customers that you have ordered.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Aaron H
DIRECTV Customer Service

Here is an excerpt of the e-mail I received in late January 2006 regarding this offer:

We'd like to offer you a reconditioned 40GB DIRECTV DVR from last year's inventory, for free. No strings attached. We have a limited quantity that we are making available only to our best customers and our employees.

I think I remember reading that some people who took advantage of this may have actually gotten 80GB units. At any rate, for this particular offer, there was NO EXTENSION OF YOUR COMMITMENT.

· Legend
256 Posts
Dino,

Here is the Terms & Conditions that I printed after I ordered my unit last year for this promotion. Hope this helps get your commitment taken care of with the DirecTV CSR Drones. :D

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3392/dvr4metcta4.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation JLuc.

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Ok that offer didnt have a commitment that was one of the lesser offers done by Directv i stand corrected

· Icon
719 Posts
Has anyone that got into this offer NOT had their commitment extended?

Not so, for me. After thinking I never was under a commitment, I began comparing HD programming between D* and E*. I decided to go with E*. So I called D* to confirm that I was not under commitment. That's when they stated that I was due to the DVR4ME promo.

The Terms & Conditions of that offer clearly state "You are not obligated to continue your subscription to DIRECTV programming for any specific duration. Existing customers may activate additional receivers with their existing DIRECTV programming package." Even the CSR that activated the unit confirmed that their was no commitment with the offer.

After a couple of calls and e-mails, they won't budge. Stating that they "passed savings onto me", they ask that I keep my commitment. And, of course, I can cancel anytime, but will be subject to an early cancellation fee if the commitment is unfulfilled.

If you got into this promo, you better check your commitment status. This is just more evidence of D* devious business practices.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Taco Lover,

Who have you talked to at D* about this? I'm pretty certain any front-line CSR will give the same line about it. Have you spoken to anybody in Retention?

I got an SD-DVR40 during that promotion (see post #7) and confirmed the commitment information (that there was none) before I took advantage of the offer. See how high up the food chain you can get and once someone confirms there is no commitment, make sure they note it in your account and have them read the notes back to you.

Not that they would necessarily believe what is written in a public forum, but you could direct them here or send them a link. Maybe better yet, I still have the e-mail they sent me that I quoted above if that can be of any help to you.

Not knowing how far up the chain you've gone yet, I can't say I'm surprised with the responses you've gotten to this point. As I said, Retention might not be a bad place to ask about this.

As for my commitment status, I confirmed a while back that this promo did NOT extend my commitment, but I have since gotten an HR20 that definitely did, so my status has since changed.

· Icon
719 Posts
Well, after trying to escalate the call to a manager or supervisor, they pretty much told me the same thing: commitments cannot be removed over the phone. Th last person I talked to said she was in Retention, but now I seem to doubt it. I never said anything about cancelling, I just wanted the commitment removed on principal of it all.

I think I'll try calling back to get retention on the line.

· Icon
719 Posts
Update on my situation:

After being told a couple of times that commitments cannot be removed over the phone, they told me to write a letter to them stating the situation and provide copies of the terms and conditions. I did that on March 19.

I called them on March 29 to see if a resolution has come about. The rep (who I assume was in Retentions since I said "cancel service" at the voice prompt) told me the notes on my account stated that Account Management said that the commitment is valid and stands, noted on the 19th and 20th of March. I told him that the certified letter wasn't delivered to D* until the 23rd, according to the USPS. So how can they have made a decision without getting the letter??? I was told that decision may have been for the calls from before, and that I should give them a little more time for them to process the letter.

I had planned on calling them this week, however I had a message from D* yesterday afternoon stating that the letter had been processed and the commitment is valid and stands. Now, how the heck can they deny that their terms and conditions clearly state otherwise? The CSR I talked to after that said he could not do anything about it, and the decision is only up to the Account Management Dept. When I asked to be transferred, he said there's no possible way to connect to them. Apparently they are the unreachable, high-and-mighty decision-makers. The CSR offered me to credit my DVR service fee for 6 months. Whoop-de-doo. I told him no, and that I'm not looking for something for nothing. I just want the commitment removed. It's a devious business practice, and it's illegal to bait and switch.

I have had no previous issues with D* in my 4+ years of being a sub, and this is just another example of the company that they have become in recent years. I see tons of complaints about them here on this board and elsewhere on the web, and it just irritates me beyond belief.

I'm going to try and call again, and get this thing taken care of. I know there are plenty of people that took the same DVR4ME deal, and they had no problems. Those that caught the commitment early removed it with no issues. Why am I having so much trouble with this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.