DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of freezing my DirecTV account for a few months, but was unsure once I froze the account if I would still have access to already recorded shows. I have an HR-20 and an HR-24. I know older model DVRs (R15 and Tivo) allowed me to continue to watch shows on them after I had upgraded to new receivers. Does anyone know the answer?

·
1*
10,289 Posts
Disconnect your receivers from the satellite before you suspend your service. When you turn on the receiver and get the Searching for Satellite, you should be able to hit Exit and then List. Be aware though that some people report that access to recordings does get cut off eventually, sometimes as soon as a few days.

- Merg

·
Problem Solver
1,916 Posts
The Merg said:
Disconnect your receivers from the satellite before you suspend your service. When you turn on the receiver and get the Searching for Satellite, you should be able to hit Exit and then List. Be aware though that some people report that access to recordings does get cut off eventually, sometimes as soon as a few days.

- Merg
IIRC, access stops when CAM authorization expires. Unplugging it at the time of suspension will keep the IRD from being hit with the deactivation signal right at that moment. But, once the (rolling 30 day) activation authorization expires, it's useless. The time at which it becomes a paperweight depends on the last time it was 'hit', which could be some arbitrary date, or maybe it was when your last billing cycle started.. not sure.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,905 Posts
As mentioned, I disconnected my DVR's prior to calling and suspending my account. I removed the coax, ethernet and phone cables, just to be safe. I kept it suspended from 5/21/11 to 8/5/11 and could view recordings right up to the day I reactivated my account. Had my DVR's on UPS's and never had to reboot them, so that may be why they worked so long?

·
Icon
896 Posts
RACJ2 said:
As mentioned, I disconnected my DVR's prior to calling and suspending my account. I removed the coax, ethernet and phone cables, just to be safe. I kept it suspended from 5/21/11 to 8/5/11 and could view recordings right up to the day I reactivated my account. Had my DVR's on UPS's and never had to reboot them, so that may be why they worked so long?
No, because mine lost power last week and still come up fine! It was over a month when it lost power.

I guess the secret is to disconnect all connections from the outside world before you suspend.

Edit: do you get an error when trying to playback? I see the list of recordings but can't remember if I tried to play one back.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,905 Posts
bobcamp1 said:
No, because mine lost power last week and still come up fine! It was over a month when it lost power.

I guess the secret is to disconnect all connections from the outside world before you suspend.

Edit: do you get an error when trying to playback? I see the list of recordings but can't remember if I tried to play one back.
I was able to play recordings the whole time they were suspended, with no error message. I specifically tried playing something, just prior to reactivating so I would know.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
What model receiver were you guys able to do this on? I believe that some of the older SD-DVRs were able to keep playing back recordings indefinitely, but the newer R16, and HR2x models will only work for a limited time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.