DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an installation appointment with DirectSat USA for a movers' program install earlier this afternoon. I have purchased an SWM-8 switch for the new house and prewired my two DVRs (one HR20 and one HR21) from it.

The installer (as I expected) had never seen an SWM-8 before and, since he wasn't willing to trust my explanation that all he had to do was run the four cables from the dish to the SWM, ended up calling his office to get instructions. Just after the office told him how to handle the installation, it started raining. While waiting for the rain to clear, he took another look at my DVRs.

When he saw the HR20, he said, "That's an old one", and called the office again. The office told him that the HR20 did not work with SWM. I pointed out the "FTM" next to the coax input and the notation on the SWM Install Quick Reference that "some equipment may be marked 'FTM' instead of 'SWM'".

At this point the installer put me on the phone with a technician named "Chris" at his office. Chris adamantly insisted that the HR20 and all other receivers marked "FTM" required something called a "frequency separator" in order to work with SWM and would not be swayed from that position by the fact that DirecTV's own installation guide contradicted it. I was eventually able to convince him to let the installer try to install the HR20 and to only install one DVR if it did not work, but the installation was eventually cancelled due to weather, so we never got a chance to test Chris's assertion.

My installation has been rescheduled for September 2. How should I handle this issue if it comes up again then? Does Chris have any idea what he is talking about? If not, how can I convince DirectSat that the HR20 is, in fact, an SWM receiver?

· Icon
810 Posts
Send him here - and tell him to ask. Or just direct him to this thread.

I have 2 HR20-100s and 1 HR20-700 running off an SWM-8 - with just the people posting in these DirecTV forums there must be hundreds of HR20s running off of SWMs.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
I too have 2 HR20-700s running on an SWM, without any other sort of special equipment.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
For your use, FTM and SWM are the same thing and you will have no issues.

Chris is wrong and just hook it up yourself if the installer doesn't.

· Godfather
367 Posts
He's probably assuming that you're using a frequency band stacker from an mdu installation or something, since he obviously knows little to nothing about how the actual swm operates. The swm requires no destacker (frequency separator or whatever he called it). Your only option is to continue to explain it to him and try not to call him a blockhead to his face (or over the phone).

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Grentz said:
and this is why I wish Directv would just send the equipment to us if we so ask...so many incompetant installers out there :rolleyes:
Incompetent, maybe; not enough information to judge. Untrained? Certainly, but the national SWM rollout was just this week, and many areas are just getting their first SWM-equipped dishes, in SMALL quantities. Expect it to be another month or two before the majority of techs have had a chance to see one in action and get some training on it.

So many people here forget that just because they've known about SWM technology for months doesn't mean that anyone else has. DirecTV is JUST NOW doing the national rollout! Most installers have never seen or heard of SWM; they're too busy doing installs 6 days a week, 12+ hours a day!

· Godfather
452 Posts
IIP said:
Incompetent, maybe; not enough information to judge. Untrained? Certainly, but the national SWM rollout was just this week, and many areas are just getting their first SWM-equipped dishes, in SMALL quantities. Expect it to be another month or two before the majority of techs have had a chance to see one in action and get some training on it.

So many people here forget that just because they've known about SWM technology for months doesn't mean that anyone else has. DirecTV is JUST NOW doing the national rollout! Most installers have never seen or heard of SWM; they're too busy doing installs 6 days a week, 12+ hours a day!
What he said :D

· Registered
5,915 Posts
IIP said:

I understand that on this subject, I was going into my off topic own rant there a bit I guess ;) :p

Also the fact that the guy, Chris, should have not just totally blown the customer off as dumb on the subject...something many installers tend to do (not just directv installers, other installers as well for other things).

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An update - Today's installer knew what an SWM-8 was, although he hadn't seen one before (he asked me where I bought it and for how much). This means that no call to Chris was required, and the installation went smoothly. Both the HR20 and HR21 are working.

· Hall Of Fame
1,299 Posts
Good to hear!

Glad it went well. What did you tell the installer where you got it? Did you get it from solid signal?

· Registered
2,913 Posts
houskamp said:
2 hr20-700s here.. one dates back to the original release.. been on swm since 1st swm5 testing..
+1. Been on SWM since the first round of testing and never had an issue.

· Legend
201 Posts
Did the tech say he was going to let Chris and the previous tech know that the HR-20 did in fact work fine? :)

- Chip

JBReynolds said:
An update - Today's installer knew what an SWM-8 was, although he hadn't seen one before (he asked me where I bought it and for how much). This means that no call to Chris was required, and the installation went smoothly. Both the HR20 and HR21 are working.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.