DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mentor/Supporter
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Havent posted in about 2.5 yrs so excuse the noob question -- Coming to Dish from Comcast and am used to dual HD Tuners/Recording.

I have searched and cannot find a valid answer that is clear enough.

I am moving from Comcast to Dish (in San Jose area) and have the following questions which Dish reps. cannot seem to answer the same way twice...and forget about the 3rd party companies. They give the answer that gives them the most $$ for the install.

I have 3 HDTVs and 3 standard def tvs. (all w/in 1-200 ft of each other).

I want 3 622 HDVRs...however, I need to know the following:

I cannot get OTA signals since i am about 45 miles from Sutro Tower in SF where they are broadcasted from so the OTA connection is useless. So, how does the 622 system treat requested recording of shows on more than 1 HD channel. From what I hear, there is only one HD Sat tuner. Does it record the second in SD using the 2nd tuner?

Also, how does it choose? Do you get the option of saying "This one in HD, that one in SD"? What about automatic recordings like "Name Based Recording". What happens when 2 shows are found that both are broadcast on SAT HD channels. Does one get transferred to the SD tuner? How does that work? I mean if there is a station like (for instance) Nat'l Geographic HD where the Nat'l Geographic SD channel is NOT always simulcast. For instance:

NBR #1 Lost: is on HD ABC in my area. Is ALSO on SD ABC
NBR #2 The World: is on Nat'l Geog. HD in my area. is NOT simulcast on SD Nat'l Geo. -- instead they may show "The Grand World of the Apes" on Nat'l Geo. -- ***FORGETTING for the moment that Dish may not carry both Nat'l Geo. feeds, substitute a network it does carry both HD and SD on...just assuming that the HD feed is NOT simulcasting the same content to SD. ***

So, does the 622 record LOST on HD and the WRONG program on SD Natl Geo. JUST because it thinks the SD equivalent of Nat'l Geo HD is Nat'l Geo SD? OR does it get smart and record LOST in SD and "The World" on Nat'l Geo HD..even though I would've rather had LOST in HD? and if so, is there a "ONLY RECORD THIS IN HD" option in the NBR system?

Confused...

Can someone answer this intelligently? Dish seems not to know.

Thanks for ANY help!

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
The 622 has two SAT Tuners. Both Tuners can record HD or SD so there is no need to do the HD/SD thing since you can have them both record HD. if you want to do the HD/SD thing you need to set up one timer for the SD version of the changel.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
When you select a program from the Guide and select "New episodes" (All, M-F, Weekly, ... choices are also available), you have made a Name based choice FOR THAT CHANNEL so you can prioritize which you want in HD and which might sit in SD in the recordings list for a long time (saving disk space). Only if you manually enter the name of the show in a DishPASS might you see timers created for HD and SD channels. Where the HD version of a channel has different content than the SD version, the Guide will show both.

You will have trouble leasing three 622s - DISH doesn't do that. They limit new subscribers to a single 622 as a lease and you would have to PURCHASE the other two. Pretty pricy.

I'm not Bay Area, but I thought Comcast carried all 5 PBS subchannels. Actually, more Comcast KQED content that you can get OTA. AFAIK, the only KQED via DISH is the SD copy of the analog channel.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
jannlinder, are you absolutely sure you cannot get anything OTA? I would recommend that you first consult AVS forum on OTA in bay area, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=369015. There you might find recommendations for good outdoor amplified antenna that you can use. I live in Sunnyvale and have an outdoor antenna (non-amplified) and I can pick up all digital stations no problem.

There are 3 tuners, 2 for satellite feeds and 1 for OTA feed, so you are wrong in your assumption. This means you can record up to 3 programs at once, 2 from satellite and 1 from OTA, REGARDLESS of whether the program is in SD or HD. So you can be recording up to 3 HD programs at once, or up to 3 SD programs at once, or a combination of both but up to 3 programs. In other words, there's no such thing as an HD-only tuner; a tuner can receive either SD or HD channel.

As for simulcast, the scenario you've mentioned really will not occur. If you choose to record a program from a program guide (like that on DCT6412), then 622 will only record from that channel and nothing else; it won't "drop" you to another channel because that other channel is simulcasting it in SD. If you program a recording using "Name based Recording" (or Dish Pass), there are options right now in 622 that will let you narrow the search down to a specific channel, so that you can specify only an HD channel to search. If you are recording 2 HD sat channels at once, there won't be any problem at all. If you try to record at once more programs than there are tuners, 622 will pop up a warning asking you to resolve the conflict manually or let it resolve it automatically; in other words, you will know if you have a programming conflict.

I think you are confusing tuners with TV output. 622 has 3 tuners (as mentioned above), but TWO TV outputs: TV1 outputs HD to your HDTV, while TV2 outputs only SD to your secondary non-HD TV. With this feature, you can configure your 622 such that 2 people can watch 2 different programs at once on 2 different TV's (one HD and one SD) from the same 622.

I think it is important that you try to get your OTA to work, as one can never have enough tuners, and you'll be missing PBSHD if you don't. I once had Comcast too, and their HDDVR is absolutely stone-aged when compared with 622.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.