DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTivo to HR20 a couple weeks ago. Interface-wise, hasn't been as traumatic as I'd expected. More good than bad. Love having HD.

Installer brought reconditioned HR20. Lots or problems with blank recordings tied to loss of tuner 1. Fixed by reboot but never lasted more than a few hours, then would lose tuner 1 again. Swapped cables, replaced BBCs, installer back out to run new cables, etc., D* finally sent replacement DVR. HR21-700. Good news! -- That's fixed my problem. No problems since install a few days ago. Some misc. comments:

* Not only are both tuners stable, my signal strength is greater by about 5 points - with no dish tweaking.

* The volume is increased. TV that had been turned up to about 15 is now good at 10. Weird. First thought maybe I was imagining but it's remained like that.

* AM21 is getting better OTA signal than HR20.

Contrary to what some have reported, getting a free AM21 with the HR20-to-HR21 swap wasn't easy. No way, no how, would they send one until the HR21 was activated and getting the $50 credit was painful. Finally found a sympathetic CSR that said "yeah, no problem" but then the person they tranferred me to put up a fight again. Finally happened but... not fun.

All in all, I'm a happy camper (knock on wood). The past couple weeks haven't been much fun but looks like the worst is over. Sure hope so. I've had more trouble/conversations with D* the past 2 weeks than the previous 10 years. Hope the next 10 are as uneventful.

· Hall Of Fame
5,000 Posts
That stinks that it happened to you. I requested for a HR20 for my install on the 19th and I love it. I have had no issues with it at all. It has been perfect. Now if I just get an antenna for my locals since D* does not offer them I will be set. The only thing I would of perferred over the HR20 would of been the HR22 but that was more of a long shot then the HR20 was lol. I was told it was a 1 in a million shot for the HR20 and I was happy that I was the 1 in a million lol.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
joshjr said:
That stinks that it happened to you. I requested for a HR20 for my install on the 19th and I love it. I have had no issues with it at all. It has been perfect. Now if I just get an antenna for my locals since D* does not offer them I will be set. The only thing I would of perferred over the HR20 would of been the HR22 but that was more of a long shot then the HR20 was lol. I was told it was a 1 in a million shot for the HR20 and I was happy that I was the 1 in a million lol.
Those odds sound about right:)

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Glad your up, running, and happy :)

barkster99 said:
Contrary to what some have reported, getting a free AM21 with the HR20-to-HR21 swap wasn't easy. No way, no how, would they send one until the HR21 was activated and getting the $50 credit was painful. Finally found a sympathetic CSR that said "yeah, no problem" but then the person they tranferred me to put up a fight again. Finally happened but... not fun.
It depends a lot on your account status, what upgrades you have done recently, what you subscribe to, pay on time, etc.

I just called in a few days ago, said I was interested in OTA for my HR21, they said $50, I said what can you do, they came back with a $50 credit on my account and all was well ;)

· AllStar
66 Posts
barkster99 said:
DirecTivo to HR20 a couple weeks ago. Interface-wise, hasn't been as traumatic as I'd expected. More good than bad. Love having HD.

Installer brought reconditioned HR20. Lots or problems with blank recordings tied to loss of tuner 1. Fixed by reboot but never lasted more than a few hours, then would lose tuner 1 again. Swapped cables, replaced BBCs, installer back out to run new cables, etc., D* finally sent replacement DVR. HR21-700. Good news! -- That's fixed my problem. No problems since install a few days ago. Some misc. comments:

* Not only are both tuners stable, my signal strength is greater by about 5 points - with no dish tweaking.

* The volume is increased. TV that had been turned up to about 15 is now good at 10. Weird. First thought maybe I was imagining but it's remained like that.

* AM21 is getting better OTA signal than HR20.

All in all, I'm a happy camper (knock on wood). The past couple weeks haven't been much fun but looks like the worst is over. Sure hope so. I've had more trouble/conversations with D* the past 2 weeks than the previous 10 years. Hope the next 10 are as uneventful.
I'm seeing the same thing plus it looks like my picture quality has actually gotten better. It was pretty good on the old HR20-100, but SD programs in particular are a lot clearer. Only thing I didn't do is replace the BBCs 'cause they didn't send me any so I'm using the old grey ones.

The AM21 rocks too. My signal strengths are much higher than before.

Bummer on the exchange. I told my CSR that they're taking a box away that has OTA, and not giving me a choice on the replacement and I'd like to get back in working order. She was cool about it and sent out the free AM21 second day air.

Sometime you just have to get someone reasonable on the line...

· Icon
715 Posts
kbxm said:
Bummer on the exchange. I told my CSR that they're taking a box away that has OTA, and not giving me a choice on the replacement and I'd like to get back in working order. She was cool about it and sent out the free AM21 second day air.

Sometime you just have to get someone reasonable on the line...
That together with a demeanor that makes them want to help you out. Not saying the OP wasn't, but as someone who has done years of phone-based software technical support, I know darned well that it's easier to want to go the extra mile for someone who is cordial and appreciative of your efforts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.