DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Some things I don't agree with in the article:

-) First Run / Repeat logic works fairly well with the HR20. There are some exceptions based on program... but to say it isn't working entirely... and that is not really an Interface problem.
-) Actually if you do press INFO, you will see if is a Repeat, provided the guide data states it as such.... but as compared to the TiVo equivilent, yes... it is not as detailed
-) The search results do specifically list the Channel Number next to the episode name. Not sure which search was done to tell you any different... Unless he is referring to the first search screen, which is just a filter by name... the search isn't performed until highlight the show. Again, a difference between TiVo and the DVR+ line
-) He is correct... all the results from the Series Link don't show up... that is because of the background process that runs later on to fully populate the list. Again, another difference between TiVo and the DVR+ Line (and also one of the reasons why you can schedule a Series Link faster on a DVR+ then Tivo)
-) You can delete a series link, without episodes. it... double dash in the prioritizer
-) Dual Live buffers, and pausing a live show... same issue
-) FF/REW is slow... compared to what? Standard Play? or to the TiVo series.
-) Pressing Play is a total guess.... I wouldn't call it a total guess at all... It again it is something you need to learn with the unit, just like you had to learn with a TiVo to compensate for it's auto compensation. But, yes... the play start needs to be more instantaneous then it currently is.
-) You can skip blocks (skip to tick, jump to end)... and 4x is in the works.
-) Guide double press... yes that is a "quirk"
-) The front panel LED can be dimmed, anyone that can't do it... probably needs to do a restart... or the system is not functioning.
-) The remote programming has ZERO to do with the HR20.. that is the RC line of remotes. You would have the same problem if you are using the remote with a D10, D11, H20, HR20, R15, or a DTivo as it's replacement.
-) In the guide you can go to an exact date/time in the guide using the menu option

·
Icon
886 Posts
As far as FF and REW being slow, in my experience that's compared to:

1. HR10
2. DishNetwork 501/508 series
3. Ultimate TV
4. watching moss grow

(Just kidding on that last one!) :)

And don't even GET me started on that sorry excuse for a 30 second skip. I don't mind the scene flashing by, but I want to move 30 seconds in ONE second, as I can on the HR10. But I guess D* had to bow down to the advertisers.

·
3 Posts
People forget the first Tivo's had issues.
Tivo's were not and are still not perfect.

Over the years they have almost "prefected" the devices, but now that they are adding all kinds of functionality, they are having issues.

Its the convergence of multiple uses that hurts the reliability of products, that and short development cylcles (need to produce a result after all) and of course, the lack of resources and testing.

But the biggest problem is YOU

John wants commerical skip, Joe wants 60 sec skip, Mike doesn't want either.
Molly wants a blue background with PIP in the top right, Sally wants PIP in the bottom left and the display to be in Magenta.
The wife wants it to record ONLY Desperate Housewives when she misses it and the husband wants it to record every car show on TV except that "crappy" one.
The kids want Spongebob only on Saturday night at 8PM and on thursday at 2PM.
Grandma wants 60 minutes to be recorded on Saturday beause she has bridge on Sunday.
Granpa wants it to record the time he won that swimming championship at LaSalle in '42.

Everybody wants functionality and it all adds up to potential problems, bugs, issues and complaints.
These companies aren't out to make your days miserable, its just a side effect.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
mnassour said:
As far as FF and REW being slow, in my experience that's compared to:

1. HR10
2. DishNetwork 501/508 series
3. Ultimate TV
4. watching moss grow

(Just kidding on that last one!) :)

And don't even GET me started on that sorry excuse for a 30 second skip. I don't mind the scene flashing by, but I want to move 30 seconds in ONE second, as I can on the HR10. But I guess D* had to bow down to the advertisers.
But it is not a 30s SKIP... not advertised as such. It is a 30s fixed FF.

Call me when TiVo enables SKIP as a default feature (not a backdoor), and when they add to their list of features that you can SKIP advertisements.
(in reference to D* bowing down)

·
Icon
668 Posts
In reading the article I get the impression this guy is just repeating what he has heard. He never mentions how any of these problems were confirmed. As Earl pointed out some of the faults listed are just not true.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I got a little chuckle out of the graphic at the top of the article :lol:
That was kind "intresting"... also, though... based on his list of devices and problems... man he has some bad luck.

·
Godfather
278 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Call me when TiVo enables SKIP as a default feature (not a backdoor), and when they add to their list of features that you can SKIP advertisements.
(in reference to D* bowing down)
In that case, can D* just add the "backdoor" code and also not advertise it? please... :D

After having the HR20 for over a week now, the 30 sec skip is what I miss the most, the FF does seem painfully slow in comparison.

Another reason that I miss the 30 sec skip is that it allowed me to skip parts of shows that I may not want my kids to see.

·
Godfather
272 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Why is the 30 second slip actually slower than 3X FFWD? That makes no sense to me as a user. Talk about annoying. At least make it as fast as the fastest available FFWD speed of the HR20.

Also, the HR20 simply does not respond as quickly to remote presses as a Series 2 SD Tivo does (and I would presume the HR10 with the latest software). That really annoys me.

Other than that, my only other gripe is the horribly slow guide compared to my SD Series 2 Tivo. Oh my god is the HR20 slow in the guide. You hit the channel up/down buttons. You wait. It draws something. You wait. Then it animates the scroll. You wait. Then you can finally scroll again. They have GOT to work on that. There is no excuse for having a guide this slow, especially when we are all painfully aware that the guide is only stored in RAM (supposedly for speed!).

The Tivo will start drawing the next page of data immediately after you hit the button. And before the redraw is done, you can hit the button again and again to interrupt the redraw and scroll. The HR20 will not interrupt the redraw if you hit the scroll again. So scrolling quickly through the guide is impossible! :mad:

Responding to user input quickly is paramount in a CE device. It should always have priority over a GUI redraw.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I don't know why the 30s Slip is slower then 3x... I have been told that they are looking at the 30s SLIP in the next-next release (the one after 0xEB). As the 30s on the R15 is pretty quick.

As for the guide being slow. Not sure what is going on on your HR20... but my guide is definently faster then anything I had on my DTivos, and light years faster then my HR10. One thing to try is making a favorite list, I found that speeds up the guide pretty good.

·
Godfather
272 Posts
Earl, which guide do you use on the Tivo? The DirecTV guide or the Tivo Guide.

I have always used the Tivo guide, and I have found it to be rather quick to respond to input.

Maybe I'll make a video of me scrolling both the Tivo and HR20 guides and upload it to YouTube to show the difference.

·
AllStar
73 Posts
gormly said:

You're kidding me right ? You do realize that it freezes up, and can't record Sunday ticket / NHL Center Ice.. How is that my problem again ?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
Earl, which guide do you use on the Tivo? The DirecTV guide or the Tivo Guide.

I have always used the Tivo guide, and I have found it to be rather quick to respond to input.

Maybe I'll make a video of me scrolling both the Tivo and HR20 guides and upload it to YouTube to show the difference.
I have to agree with ShapGSX, I have used the TiVo style guide for about 6 years on a Sat-t60 and it smokes the HR20s guide, and there is a lot more information on the tivo guide screen.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I have never liked the "TiVo/List" style guide... so I have always used the DirecTV/Grid style guide.

When I use the Guide, I am normally just intrested in what is on "now"... not what is on for the next 24 hours on the one channel.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
gormly said:

Over the years they have almost "prefected" the devices, but now that they are adding all kinds of functionality, they are having issues.

Its the convergence of multiple uses that hurts the reliability of products, that and short development cylcles (need to produce a result after all) and of course, the lack of resources and testing.

John wants commerical skip, Joe wants 60 sec skip, Mike doesn't want either.
Molly wants a blue background with PIP in the top right, Sally wants PIP in the bottom left and the display to be in Magenta.
The wife wants it to record ONLY Desperate Housewives when she misses it and the husband wants it to record every car show on TV except that "crappy" one.
The kids want Spongebob only on Saturday night at 8PM and on thursday at 2PM.
Grandma wants 60 minutes to be recorded on Saturday beause she has bridge on Sunday.
Granpa wants it to record the time he won that swimming championship at LaSalle in '42.

Everybody wants functionality and it all adds up to potential problems, bugs, issues and complaints.
These companies aren't out to make your days miserable, its just a side effect.
Oh, the poor providers. Boo-hoo. Sad what they have to go through to make customers happy.

Are you kidding? Wanting basic DVR functionality and not getting it is the user/buyer's fault? Man, you have your priorities ass-backwards. On a basic level, people just want it to work. Forget the bells and whistles. I think I can say with certainty that if the thing performed on a basic level (like getting recordings so you can watch them reliably) for nearly everyone, this whole HR20 stinks v. HR20 is great debate would be a much less hostile battlefield, reduced the FF jerkiness issue, or some other esoteric DVR conflict/difference of opinion. Sure, some people want bells and whistles, but we're not talking about that here. At least that's not the main issue.

Sure, blame the consumer. Makes a lot of sense. Glad most companies aren't taking that approach to selling their goods and services (though some clearly do, and they have you cheerleading for them too).

Now I've heard it all.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jerkieman said:
You're kidding me right ? You do realize that it freezes up, and can't record Sunday ticket / NHL Center Ice.. How is that my problem again ?
The part you chopped fromt he quote, explains what the poser ment by "YOU". Each one of uses the system in a different way.

So if there are 150,000 HR20 users... the system is being used in 150,000 different ways. Sure, the vast majority of the "steps" are the same accross those systems... but the one difference (different TV, failing multiswitch, bad wire, low batteries, IR interference, temperature, combination of scheduled recordings, locals in that area, and so)......... can lead to a problem that wasn't caught in the "lab".

Then mix in just the law of averages with consumer electronics, that flat out some of them are going to be BAD.... nature of mass production... sure it significantly attempted to be avoided, but it does happen.

So is it "your" fault that ST/NHL can't record... probably not, it is most likely the software. (Note, there is a report that NHL has worked under the new release)

So is it "your" fault that the system hangs... no, that is the software's responsibility to not hang... but you may have found the 1 combination that causes tha software to fail.... that no one else ever tried...

Should the HR20 be more robust and handle more of these issues gracefully... most definently... but it doesn't change the fact of how the system works "today", right at this moment..... All we can do is provide "OUR" feedback from the "YOU" cases, so DirecTV can understand how "YOU" use the unit.... so they can make sure that "YOU" as their customer can get back to using the system the way "YOU" want to....

·
Godfather
272 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I have never liked the "TiVo/List" style guide... so I have always used the DirecTV/Grid style guide.

When I use the Guide, I am normally just intrested in what is on "now"... not what is on for the next 24 hours on the one channel.
That is what the Tivo guide shows you in the left column. What is on "now."

Perhaps the Tivo guide is faster than the DirecTV guide on all platforms because Tivo coded it and DirecTV guys didn't. ;)

Yes, that's a challenge, DirecTV guys! :D

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
That is what the Tivo guide shows you in the left column. What is on "now."

Perhaps the Tivo guide is faster than the DirecTV guide on all platforms because Tivo coded it and DirecTV guys didn't. ;)

Yes, that's a challenge, DirecTV guys! :D
Sure on the top row... but I like being able to see the 10ish channells at once on the screen. Just more natural to me I guess.

Or because it only pulls up "24" rows worth of data from the flat file (which could be stored in the manner on the hard drive), vs caching up all the rows for all the pages, over 3 30 minute time slots...

:;

·
Godfather
439 Posts
btmoore said:
I have to agree with ShapGSX, I have used the TiVo style guide for about 6 years on a Sat-t60 and it smokes the HR20s guide, and there is a lot more information on the tivo guide screen.
I totally agree. I prefer the TiVo style guide for both the much faster speed and the format! I will learn to live with the DirecTV style guide but I'll never love it, even if they were to increase its speed. I honestly don't see why D* won't give us a choice in this regard.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.