DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this pretty much sums it up.

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/10/directv-slow-to-add-important.html

DirecTV slow to add important HD channels
8:20 PM Wed, Oct 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Andrew Smith E-mail News tips

Yes, DirecTV has more HD channels than any of its competitors -- 130 if you include PPV, a bunch of regional sports channels, many variants of the pay-movie channels -- but it still lacks some major names.

There's no AMC HD, no Fox News HD and no PBS HD.

I have no idea if DirecTV has been slow to negotiate deals with these channels or whether it doesn't have satellite space to add them.

If this is just a matter of negotiations, I say get these deals sealed. Fox News is easily the top rated news channel. AMC airs the show that just won the Best Drama Emmy. And PBS has great documentaries.

If this is a matter of sheer space, DirecTV should make way by dropping some of its more obscure channels. I'd suggest Altitude HD, Biography HD, Fuel HD and Planet Green HD.

If space is really at a premium, I'd even suggest dropping the HD feeds from MTV and VH1. I'm not arguing that they're obscure channels but I have never once seen a single bit of HD content on either of them, so there's really no point.

Being HD king isn't just a matter of numbers. It's about offering the stuff that people actually want to see.

·
Icon
654 Posts
justlgi said:

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/10/directv-slow-to-add-important.html

Yes, DirecTV has more HD channels than any of its competitors -- 130 if you include PPV, a bunch of regional sports channels, many variants of the pay-movie channels -- but it still lacks some major names.

I have no idea if DirecTV has been slow to negotiate deals with these channels or whether it doesn't have satellite space to add them.

If this is just a matter of negotiations, I say get these deals sealed. Fox News is easily the top rated news channel. AMC airs the show that just won the Best Drama Emmy. And PBS has great documentaries.

If this is a matter of sheer space, DirecTV should make way by dropping some of its more obscure channels. I'd suggest Altitude HD, Biography HD, Fuel HD and Planet Green HD.

If space is really at a premium, I'd even suggest dropping the HD feeds from MTV and VH1. I'm not arguing that they're obscure channels but I have never once seen a single bit of HD content on either of them, so there's really no point.

Being HD king isn't just a matter of numbers. It's about offering the stuff that people actually want to see.
Space is not a problem, money is, i.e. how cheap can they get it.

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
[email protected] Altitude HD. Dropping an HD RSN would go over like a lead balloon.

·
Legend
166 Posts
justlgi said:

It's only one show so not that important but mtv now is showing new episodes of the island in HD.... but thats an hour a week lol

I say drop like 10 HD PPV channels... we don't need 30-40 or however many there are.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,651 Posts
Jared701 said:
It's only one show so not that important but mtv now is showing new episodes of the island in HD.... but thats an hour a week lol

I say drop like 10 HD PPV channels... we don't need 30-40 or however many there are.
IIRC,I read somewhere within the forums that some of the recently added PPV HD channels were basically placeholders,meaning that some of them will go away when more HD channels/networks are added to the lineup.

·
Legend
187 Posts
How much TV do you people watch? There is more than enough HD content to fill your DVR ten times over. Be patient will you!!! No wonder America's kids are so spoiled, look at their whiny parents.

·
Legend
136 Posts
DanER40 said:
How much TV do you people watch? There is more than enough HD content to fill your DVR ten times over. Be patient will you!!! No wonder America's kids are so spoiled, look at their whiny parents.
I'm shocked. People come to a forum devoted to satellite TV and they talk about watching TV and requests for programing that they desire. :eek2:

Requesting or even demanding a particular service from a service provider is not whining if the request is reasonable. Requests for some of the most popular programming to be provided in HD from the "HD leader" is not unreasonable.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
studdad said:
Space is not a problem, money is, i.e. how cheap can they get it.
Right, so at the same time that DirecTV is trying to position themselves as a premium brand and talk that crap up to shareholders and analysts, they are trying to be cheap. Nice. Premium brands do not keep willing customers waiting for services they desire.

And sure, I could fill my DVR up with HD content, however, there are shows and channels that I do watch now that are in SD. I choose to watch things based on content, not whether they are in HD or not. IT is just Irksome that some cable systems are getting channels we are not.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
DanER40 said:
I've never understood this argument. Yes, if you don't care what you watch, you could easily fill up your DVR. Heck, with only a few movie channels, you could do that in weekend. Most people aren't complaining that D* hasn't added ESPNU HD, FoxNews HD, AMC HD, Travel HD etc. because they want HD channels for the sake of HD channels. They want those channels because they have content they watch and often, for them, content that is preferable to the content with which they could now fill 10 DVRs.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
People like the author are wanting AMC HD for 2 shows, one of which isn't currently airing new episodes, yet want to do away with Planet Green HD (which carries a lot of HD content) and Altitude (which carries NBA & NHL in HD). He also says to drop MTV HD...They have 1 hour a week in HD, kind of like AMCs 1 hour of Mad Men each week.....seems about equal.

IMO, AMCHD is just as unimportant as MTVHD...and I love Mad Men & Breaking Bad.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,439 Posts
DanER40 said:
Your kids must be a mess then, with you whining about people discussing satellite TV on a forum dedicated to discussions about satellite TV.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,439 Posts
sigma1914 said:
People like the author are wanting AMC HD for 2 shows, one of which isn't currently airing new episodes, yet want to do away with Planet Green HD (which carries a lot of HD content) and Altitude (which carries NBA & NHL in HD). He also says to drop MTV HD...They have 1 hour a week in HD, kind of like AMCs 1 hour of Mad Men each week.....seems about equal.

IMO, AMCHD is just as unimportant as MTVHD...and I love Mad Men & Breaking Bad.
I'm not for dropping national HD channels that have little, to no HD content. SD shows look a heck of a lot better when upscaled, but I think we could do with a few less PPVs in trade for some new HD national networks. DirecTV should have had contracts ready long before now.

·
Legend
244 Posts
DanER40 said:
Actually I spend a lot more time on the internet than I do watching TV. I'm into the technology of the TV.

As to the content, I want HD content that I like, more science, technology and PBS in HD. I've seen most of the offerings that keep being repeated on the current HD channels that Directv has right now.

·
Godfather
332 Posts
Not to being too picky, but do you think that complaining about it on a forum that only includes a SMALL portion of the total D* subscriber base does any good? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just suggesting that this isn't the best place to get Directv moving. Will they respond if you email and call and request more channels? I'm not sure.

capegator said:
I'm shocked. People come to a forum devoted to satellite TV and they talk about watching TV and requests for programing that they desire. :eek2:

Requesting or even demanding a particular service from a service provider is not whining if the request is reasonable. Requests for some of the most popular programming to be provided in HD from the "HD leader" is not unreasonable.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,439 Posts
jwt0001 said:
Not to being too picky, but do you think that complaining about it on a forum that only includes a SMALL portion of the total D* subscriber base does any good? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just suggesting that this isn't the best place to get Directv moving. Will they respond if you email and call and request more channels? I'm not sure.
It's called a discussion. People present their opinions on this discussion board.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
man_rob said:
I'm not for dropping national HD channels that have little, to no HD content. SD shows look a heck of a lot better when upscaled, but I think we could do with a few less PPVs in trade for some new HD national networks. DirecTV should have had contracts ready long before now.
I agree 100%

·
Legend
584 Posts
DanER40 said:
If the channels you want aren't carried in HD, then asking for them is not out of line. The OP makes a solid point -- MTV, CMT and VH1 are NOT carrying any HD content on their HD signals. Additionally, the viewership on the sheer number of HD PPV channels cannot warrant not carrying some of the other requested channels.

Logically, adding the HD signals of other channels that DirecTV already carries is not out of line. And asking about it is certainly not being "whiny." Quite frankly, I am still wanting ESPNU HD, Travel Channel HD and Fox News HD -- and with all three of those channels being available for carriage, no one has been able to give a realistic reason why those channels along with others that garner decent viewership have not been made available.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.