DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the proud owner of two DirecTV TiVo units until a few weeks ago when one of them croaked. I called DirecTV and they came out and gave me a brand new R15. I was excited to get the extra capacity until I realized how much of a downgrade it was. I am on my third R15 unit and and I am still unable to get one to work consistently. I believe I have two problems and am hoping I can get some help here:

1) When my DirecTV TiVo unit is plugged in and turned on, the signal strength bounces all over the place on my R15.
2) With the DirecTV TiVo unit unplugged, the signal strength is good on the R15 but I sill get "searching for satellite signal", blocky screens, black screens, etc.

Any help sould be greatly appreciated. I am desparate here.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
chuckd62687 said:
1) When my DirecTV TiVo unit is plugged in and turned on, the signal strength bounces all over the place on my R15.
You are connecting both units to your dish or multiswitch at the same time? Each has it's own dedicated lines back to the dish or multiswitch? If it is wired properly then it sounds like one or both of the tuners in the Tivo are either shorting or putting out the wrong DC voltage to the LNB assembly which is in turn adversly affecting the R15. And there are no splitters being used anyplace, right?

chuckd62687 said:
2) With the DirecTV TiVo unit unplugged, the signal strength is good on the R15 but I sill get "searching for satellite signal", blocky screens, black screens, etc.
Two possibly separate issues here.

First, does the R15 have both tuners constantly connected, or are you disconnecting one or both tuners to use with your Tivo? The R15 detects the presence or absence of a dish connection on each tuner at startup. If you change the connection, then the R15 has to be reset in order to detect the change. Based on both your first and second issue, it really sounds like you may have a bad dish, bad wiring or bad multiswitch (if you have one).

Second issue with the R15 - blocky screens and black screens. Again, this could be related to a dish/wiring type of problem, however there have been other reports about losing the picture part way through a recording (black screen) with the R15. So it is possible this is a separate problem from the wiring problem.

Carl

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carl6 said:
You are connecting both units to your dish or multiswitch at the same time? Each has it's own dedicated lines back to the dish or multiswitch? If it is wired properly then it sounds like one or both of the tuners in the Tivo are either shorting or putting out the wrong DC voltage to the LNB assembly which is in turn adversly affecting the R15. And there are no splitters being used anyplace, right?
Carl
- Both units are connected at the same time via a multiswitch.
- They both have dedicated lines back to the multiswitch.
- No splitters are being used.
- I was afraid that is was a voltage issue. Is there anyway to fix it? It sounds like my other DirecTV TiVo was replaced with an R15 when it should've been this one.

carl6 said:
Two possibly separate issues here.

First, does the R15 have both tuners constantly connected, or are you disconnecting one or both tuners to use with your Tivo? The R15 detects the presence or absence of a dish connection on each tuner at startup. If you change the connection, then the R15 has to be reset in order to detect the change. Based on both your first and second issue, it really sounds like you may have a bad dish, bad wiring or bad multiswitch (if you have one).

Second issue with the R15 - blocky screens and black screens. Again, this could be related to a dish/wiring type of problem, however there have been other reports about losing the picture part way through a recording (black screen) with the R15. So it is possible this is a separate problem from the wiring problem.
Carl
- Both tuners are constantly connected.
- Multiswitch and LNB have been replaced.
- I don't believe it can be a wiring problem as I have moved the R15 from outlet to outlet and the problem follows the receiver.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,471 Posts
chuckd62687 said:
- I was afraid that is was a voltage issue. Is there anyway to fix it? It sounds like my other DirecTV TiVo was replaced with an R15 when it should've been this one.
I think you're on the right track here. How long is the total cable run?

You might try wiring the R15 directly to the antenna. It could be that the R15 power supply is marginal and/or the cable isn't good enough (or spliced too many times). Every coupler cuts the signal by a surprising percentage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.