Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Just on #1

As FTM will be a SINGLE cable solution.

Those "boxes" that came with your HR20, are not the FTM components.
FTM hasn't been released yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
FTM, or Frequency Translation Module, is a device that is currently being developed that will basically put a box near the dish which will essentially have multiple tuners in it. Your receiver(s) will send a specific channel request to this box, and it will send the specific channel to that specific receiver. A second receiver on the same line sends a request for a different channel, and the FTM box will send that specific second channel to that specific second receiver. Etc.

I don't know what the upper limit will be on how many channels/receivers will be supported, but I believe there will be different versions of FTM. One for Multiple Dwelling Units (MDU), e.g., apartment or condo, would be able to support a lot of simultaneous receiver requests. Another, for single family dwellings would probably support fewer simultaneous receivers, but cost less.

No pricing has been announced, or even rumored, yet, and the actual product introduction won't be until sometime in 2007.

Bottom line, with the FTM module you will be able to use a single, split, coax feed throughout your house with DirecTV just like you can do now with cable. You will still need a DirecTV receiver or DVR with each TV set.

Carl

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Bay CIty said:
Could you please explain FTM a little bit more and how it will work
thanks
A very simple explaination is the FTM box sits between your dish and your receivers and provides a dynamic "cable headend". This allows for the receivers to request that a satellite transponder be sent down the wire on a slot (otherwise think of channel), and the FTM tells the receiver which slot it will be on. This way the whole frequency range of the wire is not taken up by all the transponders of the satellite.

Since there are lots of cable slots available in frequency ranges that normal coax can use, this solution will work in many homes that have older coax with lots of splitters without requiring a rewire. Or where only one coax was run and now a DVR needs two. (Or where two where run, but people now have two dvrs...)

Cheers,
Tom

·
DBSTalk Club Member
39 Posts
The above is incorrect however functionally similar to what the FTM actually does.

The FTM is basically an agile stack, that is a receiver can ask for any of the frequency ranges (currently there are 6 total (3 ranges with both left hand and right hand polarization) and the FTM will lay that range on the cable in an available spot.

There is room on the cable for three frequency ranges and the FTM will be able to stack any 3 of those 6 ranges on the same cable going to the receiver. This means that theoritically a single receiver could run 3 tuners off the same cable (if there were such a receiver with three tuners)

each receiver will still need it's own cable to the FTM and two receivers could not share the same port on the FTM by splitting the cable.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Hopefully in January, I will be able to provide you all with the FTM details and available, price, usage, ect..

·
Legend
231 Posts
carl6 said:
FTM, or Frequency Translation Module, is a device that is currently being developed that will basically put a box near the dish which will essentially have multiple tuners in it. Your receiver(s) will send a specific channel request to this box, and it will send the specific channel to that specific receiver. A second receiver on the same line sends a request for a different channel, and the FTM box will send that specific second channel to that specific second receiver. Etc.

I don't know what the upper limit will be on how many channels/receivers will be supported, but I believe there will be different versions of FTM. One for Multiple Dwelling Units (MDU), e.g., apartment or condo, would be able to support a lot of simultaneous receiver requests. Another, for single family dwellings would probably support fewer simultaneous receivers, but cost less.

No pricing has been announced, or even rumored, yet, and the actual product introduction won't be until sometime in 2007.

Bottom line, with the FTM module you will be able to use a single, split, coax feed throughout your house with DirecTV just like you can do now with cable. You will still need a DirecTV receiver or DVR with each TV set.

Carl
Am I correct to assume that this box (when available) would be mounted inside the house and not outside near the dish to protect it from the elements (rain snow etc) ? and will this box be compatible with the current hr-20?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Bay CIty said:
Am I correct to assume that this box (when available would be mounted inside the house and not outside near the dish to protect it from the elements (rain snow etc) ? and will this box be compatible with the current hr-20?
Depends on the FTM module.
Some will be designed for out door exposure, others will not (there are going to be at least 2 different FTM module units).

And yes, the HR20 is the only current receiver that is FTM ready.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Hopefully in January, I will be able to provide you all with the FTM details and available, price, usage, ect..
Could you promise to at least wait until after the Rose Bowl so I don't keep coming here trying to find out during the game? :D

Go Blue!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
tfederov said:
Could you promise to at least wait until after the Rose Bowl so I don't keep coming here trying to find out during the game? :D

Go Blue!
Sure.. :D

As for the Rose Bowl... as much as I dislike Michigan (I went to Illinois)...

Go Big Ten... thus Go Blue!

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
jstaffin said:
The above is incorrect however functionally similar to what the FTM actually does.

The FTM is basically an agile stack, that is a receiver can ask for any of the frequency ranges (currently there are 6 total (3 ranges with both left hand and right hand polarization) and the FTM will lay that range on the cable in an available spot.

There is room on the cable for three frequency ranges and the FTM will be able to stack any 3 of those 6 ranges on the same cable going to the receiver. This means that theoritically a single receiver could run 3 tuners off the same cable (if there were such a receiver with three tuners)

each receiver will still need it's own cable to the FTM and two receivers could not share the same port on the FTM by splitting the cable.
While there may be version(s) of the FTM that are only an agile stacker, the patents taken out by D* indicate otherwise, closer to Carl's and my descriptions.

Links: Patent
Another thread

And Directv will tell all (thru Earl. Thanks, Earl!) in mid-january (I'm guessing Jan7 when Directv has its press day at CES, IIRC).

Cheers,
Tom

·
Legend
231 Posts
OTA, expandable Hard Drive Storage, networked for music and photos, HDMI, FTM and a black colored box soon
when the remaining bugs get worked out, this looks like the system all others will be judged by.
May I request a central hard drive so all content may be viewed in any? room

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Bay CIty said:
OTA, expandable Hard Drive Storage, networked for music and photos, HDMI, FTM and a black colored box soon
when the remaining bugs get worked out, this looks like the system all others will be judged by.
May I request a central hard drive so all content may be viewed in any? room
I'm hoping CES will bring new updates about the HMC...

Cheers,
Tom

·
DBSTalk Club Member
39 Posts
tibber said:
While there may be version(s) of the FTM that are only an agile stacker, the patents taken out by D* indicate otherwise, closer to Carl's and my descriptions.

Links: Patent
Another thread

And Directv will tell all (thru Earl. Thanks, Earl!) in mid-january (I'm guessing Jan7 when Directv has its press day at CES, IIRC).

Cheers,
Tom
I guess you are right, there seems to be some additional functionality to the FTM that would apply to some pretty advanced installations (MDU stuff maybe) that I was not aware of. Looks pretty interesting.

Of particular interest is the Digital FTM section where it talks about tuning the signals out in the FTM and placing them on a computer network like interface to be sent to the receivers. Very interesting.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Herdfan said:
Will there be a receiver end unit similar to a destacker that could allow non-FTM receivers to use one cable?
I don't know for certain yet.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
jstaffin said:
I guess you are right, there seems to be some additional functionality to the FTM that would apply to some pretty advanced installations (MDU stuff maybe) that I was not aware of. Looks pretty interesting.

Of particular interest is the Digital FTM section where it talks about tuning the signals out in the FTM and placing them on a computer network like interface to be sent to the receivers. Very interesting.
Yes, they do look very interesting. I'm wondering if they are going to be compatible with the home network over coax spec (that I no longer recall the correct name of...)

Cheers,
Tom

·
AllStar
96 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
any chance of a sticky thread we can subscribe to on this subject? (Like the return of Santa was..)

Is it too late to volunteer for alpha testing of FTM? (Just a little desperation creeping in...)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.