DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is any else getting fed up with Sony et al advertising 1080p as
"Full HD"? As if 720p/1080i is not. And if it is, do we all get into a class action suit to have our dlp/lcd sets upgraded to 1080p for free? Samsung is selling both 720p and 1080p sets side by side. Hey I realize most poeple can't tell the diference. Plasma displays as far as I know are 720p native only. Will there ever be anything broadcast in 1080p(other than bluray/hd dvd)? I don't think the networks are going to pony up more money after buying all the equipment they have now.
:confused: :mad:

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
The marketing pukes down at Sony came up with that one.

The term "Full HD" reminds of when a female acquiantance had an expensive 'boob
job'. She went under the knife a 34b and came out nearly a 36C -- somewhat larger
compared to the old chest. She bought some new 'full-figured' bras and went around
sticking her chest out at people. She even invited a few of us to take a test squeeze
-- as if we should give witness to the realism of her new set.

Thing is, she was the same old dumb-blonde country gal some of us had known for
years. Her new measurements, although slightly more impressive 'on paper', didn't
make her any sharper, and it wasn't too long before we just stopping noticing the
upgrade altogether. After a while she was still out the money and all she had to
show for it was a more expensive set.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
I believe that what Sony advertises is the "Full HD Experience". Which includes capturing video with their new HD camcorders, recording the video onto Blu-ray Disc with a VAIO, and then displaying the video on a 1080p monitor. Sony was not the first one to call 1080p "Full HD" or "True HD". They are just the first company that will allow you to buy equipement to capture, burn and display HD for the "Full HD Experience".

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
So, if we'd had "Full HD" back then, I'm sure her rack would have looked a lot more life-like and realistic. :grin:

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Here's the Technical Details of the Sony KDS-50A2000 Grand WEGA 50" SXRD 1080p Rear Projection HDTV :

Technical Details:

Full HD (1920 x 1080)Picture Resolution with SXRD chip
3 SXRD chips (R/G/B), Over 2 Million Pixels each.
Contrast Ratio up to 10000:1
1080p Input for Full HD via HDMI rear connections (x2)
Bottom Speaker. Slim and Stylish Design.

I see your point. :)

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.