1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Future of cable-ready DTV sets bright

By Bill McConnell
Broadcasting & Cable
10/23/2002 8:00:00 AM

Cable- and consumer-equipment executives are increasingly optimistic that they are near an interindustry agreement that will allow the manufacture of "plug-and-play" digital-television sets that will work with cable with no need for set-top boxes.

National Cable & Telecommunications Association president Robert Sachs said Monday that negotiations between the two industries were boosted by Panasonic Consumer Electronics' decision last week to sign Cable Television Laboratories Inc.'s license allowing channel-surfing functions of TV sets to be compatible with cable-system security devices.

Read the rest at http://www.tvinsite.com/broadcastingcable/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=105591&display=breakingNews

· Legend
220 Posts
Let the Piracy begin!

But seriously, I honestly feel TVs should just come without tuners at all, or have a few models that way, just an autosensing Composite/Svid/Component connectors on the back. That way your not waste money and resources on parts that will get replaced with a STB anyway.

· AllStar
47 Posts
i agree especially with the expensive ones for hdtv that the feds are trying to cram down everyone's backs... in some of the high end models that is starting to occur but i sure would like a 20 or 25 inch tv that could receive analog signals without a tuner so we all could realize some of the cost savings for something we never use. My TV's have been stuck on channel 3 since 1982 i think, between tuners for vcr's, cable and satellite settop boxes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.