DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all concerned,I am a Christian,not affiliated with any specific church but I beleive in God and the Bible.I was suprised tonight as I was watching the FXM channel and a commercial came on that had the words "hell" and "damn" in it.I know the movies are rated for parental guidance but the commercials are not.I beleive it was a beer commercial,not sure,but I'm sure that DirecTV can locate it and hopefully,they will give me a response to my concerns to my email address.I will have to give up FXM channel if the commercial remains without "bleeping out" the bad words and I do like the channel.I hope that DirecTV can take some action on this problem for the children's sake and for the parents that watch that allow their children to watch certain movies and can regulate their children's viewing of movies without being exposed to the commercials that contain inappropriate content for certain ages of children.Thank you so much for listening to my concerns and some sort of resolution to this problem.Lois Avery
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
85 Posts
Lois Avery said:
To all concerned,I am a Christian,not affiliated with any specific church but I beleive in God and the Bible.I was suprised tonight as I was watching the FXM channel and a commercial came on that had the words "hell" and "damn" in it.I know the movies are rated for parental guidance but the commercials are not.I beleive it was a beer commercial,not sure,but I'm sure that DirecTV can locate it and hopefully,they will give me a response to my concerns to my email address.I will have to give up FXM channel if the commercial remains without "bleeping out" the bad words and I do like the channel.I hope that DirecTV can take some action on this problem for the children's sake and for the parents that watch that allow their children to watch certain movies and can regulate their children's viewing of movies without being exposed to the commercials that contain inappropriate content for certain ages of children.Thank you so much for listening to my concerns and some sort of resolution to this problem.Lois Avery
How about all the anti abortion commercials and how gross they are and a lies they say. Or how about all the GOP lie's is a lie not a sin! The word hell and damn are not sins. So I will put it this way so what.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,287 Posts
Lois Avery said:
To all concerned,I am a Christian,not affiliated with any specific church but I beleive in God and the Bible.I was suprised tonight as I was watching the FXM channel and a commercial came on that had the words "hell" and "damn" in it.I know the movies are rated for parental guidance but the commercials are not.I beleive it was a beer commercial,not sure,but I'm sure that DirecTV can locate it and hopefully,they will give me a response to my concerns to my email address.I will have to give up FXM channel if the commercial remains without "bleeping out" the bad words and I do like the channel.I hope that DirecTV can take some action on this problem for the children's sake and for the parents that watch that allow their children to watch certain movies and can regulate their children's viewing of movies without being exposed to the commercials that contain inappropriate content for certain ages of children.Thank you so much for listening to my concerns and some sort of resolution to this problem.Lois Avery
The two words you find so offensive (hell and damn) are repeatedly used in the bible and the bible is the word of God! They can also be found in the English dictionary. The response you'll get from DirecTV is that they are a service provider, not a content provider. With the exception of their own channels they have no input with programing and advertising. I strongly suggest you look at how wildlife raise their young. They don't shelter their offspring from the world they'll be living in. They expose them to it and train them how to live in it. You would be wise to do the same with your children.
 

·
Superfly
Joined
·
4,567 Posts
Lois, it is not DirecTV's job to be the word police. They simply pass along what is coming to them.

You are on a slippery slope here. If you want your content providers, being anybody from the newspaper through the cable company to the post office, to start censoring information before it reaches you, what happens when they start removing stuff you believe in? Somebody up thread was offended by anti-abortion advertising. If, to avoid offending anyone, DirecTV started censoring out Pro-Life ads along with the language you find so terrible, how would you feel about that?

Your defense is the off button and the parental controls built into the system. DirecTV has allowed you to be the censor, where that power ought to belong.

And good luck with your battle. I'm sure you'd find my daily language offensive. But I also find it amazing that words I'd never use in church or in a conversation with my mother are now in commercials, deleted only by a loud beep. Everyone knows what was said. It's said in the viewer's mind, beep or no beep. That is outragious and a change I don't like.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
I cant even take the OP seriously. When it started "I am a Christian", there were 100 different ways I expected the commentary to go. Hell and damn? Come on...
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
334 Posts
CCarncross said:
As with everything Lois, you have a choice not to watch it or any other material you find offensive.
It wouldnt of happened if she was reading the bible in stead of watching TV :rolleyes:
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,724 Posts
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"
Rhett Butler in "Gone with the Wind".

There are a lot of words that are much more offensive than those two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
I don't think that she is making a joke. She just joined and it's her first post. While I don't think Directv is responsible for the content, I do believe the station FXM is. If they rated their programming for not having objectionable language, but allow the commercials to do so, she may have a small point. But what I can say, she's gone to the wrong place to make this point. She should be contacting FXM and telling them how she feels.

I don't think it's productive to harass people, because of their religious beliefs and if Lois is expressing her opinion, I'm fine with that. Some of you guys need to cut her some slack and contain your political opinions. Maybe we should be helping her, by directing her to the proper authorities, not condemning her.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,287 Posts
PrinceLH said:
I don't think that she is making a joke. She just joined and it's her first post. While I don't think Directv is responsible for the content, I do believe the station FXM is. If they rated their programming for not having objectionable language, but allow the commercials to do so, she may have a small point. But what I can say, she's gone to the wrong place to make this point. She should be contacting FXM and telling them how she feels.

I don't think it's productive to harass people, because of their religious beliefs and if Lois is expressing her opinion, I'm fine with that. Some of you guys need to cut her some slack and contain your political opinions. Maybe we should be helping her, by directing her to the proper authorities, not condemning her.
While there have been some light hearted, humorous reactions to the OP's post I fail to see any harassment or condemning. People simply offered their thoughts and opinions on the subject matter which they, like the OP, have a right to do. And for the record, several posters, myself included, offered advice and help.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
274 Posts
Cancel all pay television subscriptions, newspapers, magizines, keep your kids home from school, lock the doors, bar the windows, pull down the shades, & hide under the bed. Then, maybe, just MAYBE you can avoid all these things that are evil in the world....
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
545 Posts
Cyber36 said:
Cancel all pay television subscriptions, newspapers, magizines, keep your kids home from school, lock the doors, bar the windows, pull down the shades, & hide under the bed. Then, maybe, just MAYBE you can avoid all these things that are evil in the world....
Agree! Avoid what you find offensive. Don't expect advertiser's to adjust their message because you find it offensive. They target the "masses"!
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
I second the notion that it is FXM that Lois has an isse with and not DirecTV.

My other concern (and it may be a misinterpetation on my part) is that from reading her original post she may be expecting a response from DirecTV based on the strength of posting her complaint here.

So for the record...

**Lois, I want to ensure that you understand this site is not officially affiliated with DirecTV. You cannot contact them via these forums and will not receive a reply based on postings made here.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top