DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually with the discount pass we paid a little over $60 for a year. Remember that you are playing games similar to web or mobile games from the comfort of your couch without buying any special equipment (like a $400 Xbox 360).

I actually tried the other free web games but after an hour they wanted $19.99 to play further...:(

· Hall Of Fame
1,438 Posts
RhinoGL said:
Actually with the discount pass we paid a little over $60 for a year. Remember that you are playing games similar to web or mobile games from the comfort of your couch without buying any special equipment (like a $400 Xbox 360).

I actually tried the other free web games but after an hour they wanted $19.99 to play further...:(
Even $60 a year is way, way too steep for the low tech games offered. There are just too many similar free games, that are always free, available on-line.

Xbox, and other consoles have games that are light years ahead of anything on the Lame Gouge, so that is an peddle-car to BMW comparison.

I wouldn't be surprised if DirecTV eventually went to the ad driven, free to the end user model. There would just be a banner ad on the top of the screen.

I guess for the folks who lack any sort of tech savvy, and have money to burn, it's an alternative.

Edit: Is it your job to sell the Game Lounge? All of your posts, save one, are pushing it. The one post that isn't a Lame Gouge sales pitch is defending the use of banners ads in the guide. What is up with that?

· Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as much as I promote it, seems to me you like to bash it. I agree this service is no Xbox 360 or PS3. It is a casual game service for those customers that cannot afford or do not want a game console or PC.

Even if you think it is crap, it does offer some pretty cool things:

- play with your remote
- play on your receiver
- create and use a profile to:
  • - earn tokens for good performance and gain rank
  • - post leaderboard scores
  • - multiplayer matches against other players

An apple to apple comparison would be to compare to online pay services like Pogo.com.

130k subscribers and over 50 million plays in 2007 is not bad.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS171563+10-Mar-2008+BW20080310

· Hall Of Fame
1,438 Posts
RhinoGL said:
Well as much as I promote it, seems to me you like to bash it. I agree this service is no Xbox 360 or PS3. It is a casual game service for those customers that cannot afford or do not want a game console or PC.

Even if you think it is crap, it does offer some pretty cool things:

- play with your remote
- play on your receiver
- create and use a profile to:
  • - earn tokens for good performance and gain rank
  • - post leaderboard scores
  • - multiplayer matches against other players

An apple to apple comparison would be to compare to online pay services like Pogo.com.

130k subscribers and over 50 million plays in 2007 is not bad.

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS171563+10-Mar-2008+BW20080310
Um excuse me, I've posted on plenty of other topics. Your promotion of the Game Lounge seems to be your only purpose on this forum.

Not only is the Game Lounge not an Xbox, or PS3, its horrible for casual gaming as well. It's a slow and clunky handful of low tech games for a premium price.

Pogo (Which, by the way does offer quite a few free games.) isn't the only online game site, there are many, many more that are free, Yahoo has hundreds of free online games. MSN also has hundreds of online games which cost the player absolutely nothing.

Here's another site with free games
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3156339]

Game Lounge has only 20 or so games at any given moment, and costs the user $60-$70 plus dollars a year.

The Lame Gouge must not be doing that well if they are using folks like you to pose as forum members to try and push this overpriced, under-performing service.

Here's a link that should be of interest to you. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=shill

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
If someone uses and enjoys this, then I say more power to 'em.

Me, I checked it out before during a free period and was thoroughly unimpressed. I decided to check it out again last night to see if anything has improved or changed for the better. What I did notice was the games I was even interested in checking out were "unavailable". They are only available at certain times or on certain days???? Wow.

I'm from the Pong generation and do not get into today's video games (Halo, Guitar Hero, etc.) at all really. And yes, as witnessed by my posting here, I do have internet access. If I'm in the mood to play the types of games that are on Game Lounge, I will most certainly find a web site to play them on - if for no other reason that ease of use and response time!

I would rather shoot myself in the foot and have it ricochet into my brain effectively lobotomizing me than to actually PAY for this service. That's just me, your mileage may vary. :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.