DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After its usual hardball negotiating, Gemstar-TV Guide made it official: The interactive TV/guide service will gain the assets of DIVA, one of the cable industry's leading VOD players.

As previously reported, DIVA's cash reserves ran out several weeks ago, which put the server-based technology and software systems company on the block. As part of its deal with Gemstar, DIVA filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization, leaving Gemstar to acquire the remaining assets.

Now look for Gemstar-TV Guide to plug pieces of the DIVA technology into its various products and services, including the interactive television two-way response network envisioned via the recent Gemstar/Thomson multimedia deal. Only remaining question is, will the cable MSOs - whose delays figured heavily in the problems plaguing VOD entrants - give this new interactive play the same short shrift?

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)

·
Legend
172 Posts
Yecch. Ick.

I don't really want Gemstar/TVGuide to control any part of my TV experience at all. I have VOD on digital cable that is powered by DIVA (at least, to my understanding) - I hope they don't mess it up and stuff it full of ads like everything else. UNLESS - they will give me free VOD movies in exchange for watching ads before, after, or during them. That *might* be okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.