DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have the Dish 722 receiver and a Samsung 56" 1080p HDTV. My question is when setting up the HD resolution on the 722 reciever should I choose 720p or 1080i. I've heard somewhere that 720p actually looks better than 1080i.

Thanks for your help

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Most HD channels, with the exception of Fox, ABC, and ESPN, are broadcast in 1080i. Because your TV is a fixed-pixel TV, all content will be upscaled to 1080 anyway, so the only benefit of setting the receiver to 720 is that the TV, instead of the satellite receiver, will handle the upscaling.

It won't hurt to try both, but I would recommend 1080i.

· Godfather
445 Posts
I use to have my 612ViP set to 720p but now I leave it on 1080i. The picture is better. I have a 1080p set by the way.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,488 Posts
snowcat said:
720p is usually a little better for sports because of the fast action.
This is not supported by the polls. It may seem to be technically better suited, but the medium isn't as important as the effort that goes into producing it.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,488 Posts
Lincoln6Echo said:
ESPN is 720p?
Welcome out from under your rock.

All Disney and Fox family HD channels are 720p. There are a handful of others including Smithsonian.

· Legend
237 Posts
harsh said:
This is not supported by the polls. It may seem to be technically better suited, but the medium isn't as important as the effort that goes into producing it.
You are likely right. Personally, I have a 1080i TV and and 720p TV and I see no noticable difference between my signals.

· Legend
231 Posts
720p is better for live sports programming than 1080i because 720p has double native frame rate (60 progressive frames per second). However, the advantage only shows itself when the event is photographed/videotaped in that 60fps format. ESPN has a much greater opportunity than other networks to show viewers native 60fps material.

Most other networks go with 1080i since so much of their content was shot at 30fps or 24fps.

· Legend
231 Posts
Bobby H said:
720p is better for live sports programming than 1080i because 720p has double native frame rate (60 progressive frames per second). However, the advantage only shows itself when the event is photographed/videotaped in that 60fps format. ESPN has a much greater opportunity than other networks to show viewers native 60fps material.

Most other networks go with 1080i since so much of their content was shot at 30fps or 24fps.
yep, wonder how many true 60fps content is out there. After watching MNF on ESPN, I think they have the best football PQ. Super slow motion looks very cool.

· Legend
231 Posts
All the football games on FOX are shot in 720p/60. Much of ABC's sports programming is also shot 720p/60.

Outside of that, it's nearly all 1080i stuff -if it is HD at all. Lack of native HD is why I'm not sweating the lack of Fox Sports Southwest in my programming package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.