DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about going HD. Can someone answer the following questions so I can better understand what I am getting into? Thanks!

1) What Equipment will I need to recieve HD? I currently have an old system and it is time to upgrade. I believe I need a HD Receiver and a HD Dish. Do I need anything else from D*? What extra equipment Should I expect D* to supply me for no extra charge when I call them?

2) Do I need a special type of HD Television to view HD? Will my normal televisions work?

3) I noticed that D* charges $9.99 per month for a HD pacakage. It Includes ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater™, HDNet, HDNet Movies & Network Channels where available. What if I do not subscribe to the HD package? Will I receive any other channels (Locals are not avaliable in my area in HD) in HD? Is it worth the $9.99 for the HD package? I have read that many new HD customers receive HD free for 4 months.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
1) The basics are the Dish and the Reciever... but then there is the possibility of a multiswitch (depending on the number of receivers)... and you would want to consider an Over the Air Antenna depending where you are in relation to your closest major city

2) Yes... you ned an HDTV ready TV. You can still view with your non-HDTV tv, but the content will be down graded to the standard definition formats. It will probably look better (About the quality of a DVD), but it won't be HD

3) You will be able to receive HBO-HD and SHO-HD if you subscriber to either of those packages.... and depending on the receiver and your setup ,you will get what ever HD is available via your Over the Air Antenna.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
The HR Installation TIps and Tricks will talk you through cabling, connectors, UPS, and a number of other things to consider. Click below.

- Craig

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.