DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR-44 Genie with a 16TB RAID unit attached to the eSATA.
It has had some problems with various versions of software in the past, but was working okay on 0xa72.

A week or two ago it downloaded 0xac8 and left me with no live picture and perpetually stuck in the startup mode.
(Hit menu and it only offers an empty My DIRECTV and a Startup Menu. No access to guide or shows already recorded.)
If I remove the external drive it boots normally, but of course then I loose all the recordings.

I did a force download (hit red button behind the front door and hit 0-2-4-6-8 on the remote right after it starts up)
and that got 0xa72 back last week. It worked fine again with the external drive.

This morning I found that it had downloaded 0xac8 again and was stuck the same way.
I tried the force download, but it just downloaded 0xac8 again.

I called DirecTV and they were not able do anything for me but report the issue and wait and see.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Any tricks to get it to work?
If you've reset your external storage, did that get it to work with the new software?

-Steve

·
30 Posts
Sounds like what my 2x2TB enclosure was doing last month with a new HR54 after the enclosure worked great for a year with my second HR44 (which suffered a non-hard-drive hardware failure causing audio loss then reboot loops). I contacted Weaknees (got the enclosure from them) and was told that the HR54 does not support (somehow?) external RAID1 or anything but individual external drives. Now Directv is "backporting" this "feature" to older Genies?

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
h_a_h_3 said:
Sounds like what my 2x2TB enclosure was doing last month with a new HR54 after the enclosure worked great for a year with my second HR44 (which suffered a non-hard-drive hardware failure causing audio loss then reboot loops). I contacted Weaknees (got the enclosure from them) and was told that the HR54 does not support (somehow?) external RAID1 or anything but individual external drives. Now Directv is "backporting" this "feature" to older Genies?
I have a RAID1 enclosure working just fine on my HR54.

·
Godfather
664 Posts
RunnerFL said:
If you look at the specs for that enclosure you see the following:
Hardware RAID embedded to the enclosure to eliminate OS compatibility issues.
That means the enclosure looks like a single disk to the DVR. I think DirecTV is removing code from the Unix system they use to reduce its size. The support for Raid in Unix or Linux is a lot of code.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
bpratt said:
If you look at the specs for that enclosure you see the following:
Hardware RAID embedded to the enclosure to eliminate OS compatibility issues.
That means the enclosure looks like a single disk to the DVR. I think DirecTV is removing code from the Unix system they use to reduce its size. The support for Raid in Unix or Linux is a lot of code.
The DVRs have always seen it as 1 drive, never anything more. The HR firmware itself has never had built in RAID capabilities, you've always had to have a RAID enclosure that had it's only embedded controller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.