DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to be getting a new TV and stand so will be needing to disconnect and move the Genie 2 but first I want to deal with the way the satellite coaxial cable was fed thru the wall. To do that, I just need to disconnect the satellite cable from the Genie 2 temporarily. I can do this at a T connection and not at the Genie2 itself. Do I still need to unplug the power to the Genie 2 first (manual says to do so anytime a cable is being connected/disconnected)?

Related to that question I hate there is no on/off switch. To turn it off, does it matter which is better as to unplugging power at the outlet or removing the power connection going into the Genie2?

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
While it really doesn't matter as long as your careful...

The coax carries power from the Genie to the dish. If you disconnect it before (or without) removing power to the Genie, be careful not to short the center conductor to shield. Ditto when connecting it.

If you need to remove both power and coax anyway, then remove power first, and re-connect it last.

· Godfather
2,149 Posts
Even more important, If you are moving the Genie to a new location, you need to connect the Genie to the power passing port of the splitter. I think you called the splitter a T connection. You may need to swap the cables at the splitter to accomplish this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts