DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Mr. FixAnything
Joined
·
27,268 Posts
would be done that by purpose? to devote unskilled ppl from dismantling hi-tech gadgets like the TV set ;)
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
P Smith said:
would be done that by purpose? to devote unskilled ppl from dismantling hi-tech gadgets like the TV set ;)
LOL, probably.

But hey, P, what does he have to lose?

If he can't stand the smell, there are two choices as I see it. Sell it, or try and save it.

My advise was geared toward seeing if the internal was loaded with nicotine. If he wipes the inside of the back panel that should tell him what he needs to know.

Maybe I'm way off base, but is there a lot of stuff connected to the back panel that I didn't see on my Panasonic?

Oh yeah, Rich is right, so wear gloves to be safe. :eek2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,628 Posts
P Smith said:
would be done that by purpose? to devote unskilled ppl from dismantling hi-tech gadgets like the TV set ;)
Actually, you could make a case for it being illegal in this country. In all aspects of work, except for Federal government buildings, employers are mandated to provide a safe workplace. How razorsharp metal edging fits into that eludes me.

Rich
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,628 Posts
satcrazy said:
LOL, probably.

But hey, P, what does he have to lose?

If he can't stand the smell, there are two choices as I see it. Sell it, or try and save it.

My advise was geared toward seeing if the internal was loaded with nicotine. If he wipes the inside of the back panel that should tell him what he needs to know.

Maybe I'm way off base, but is there a lot of stuff connected to the back panel that I didn't see on my Panasonic?

Oh yeah, Rich is right, so wear gloves to be safe. :eek2:
As I recall, there was nothing on the back panel. Gloves are the answer, but what kind of gloves are protection against those sharp edges? I'm used to working with leather gloves and they'd provide very little protection against those wickedly sharp panels (which I have also found on clothes dryers), perhaps Kevlar gloves? Very pricey, but cheap compared to what a sliced up hand could cost.

Rich
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Rich said:
As I recall, there was nothing on the back panel. Gloves are the answer, but what kind of gloves are protection against those sharp edges? I'm used to working with leather gloves and they'd provide very little protection against those wickedly sharp panels (which I have also found on clothes dryers), perhaps Kevlar gloves? Very pricey, but cheap compared to what a sliced up hand could cost.

Rich
Well, I was thinking leather work gloves myself. If I recall, the tv tech that worked on mine wore NO gloves when he took it apart. [ I did warn him ahead of time] He didn't lose any blood, and was quite adept at what he was doing, maybe less than a half hour total here.

I'd like to hear back from OP as to what he ended up doing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
36,628 Posts
satcrazy said:
Well, I was thinking leather work gloves myself. If I recall, the tv tech that worked on mine wore NO gloves when he took it apart. [ I did warn him ahead of time] He didn't lose any blood, and was quite adept at what he was doing, maybe less than a half hour total here.

I'd like to hear back from OP as to what he ended up doing.
Yup, the guy that warned me about them didn't wear gloves either, I think. I do remember how carefully he handled the back panel.
Rich
 

·
Mr. FixAnything
Joined
·
27,268 Posts
I know what kind of gloves need (actually used one time, but for other job) - it's made from small steel rings ....
 

·
Difficulty Concen........
Joined
·
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well I finally took it apart tonight.
The LED tv's are much different inside than the plasmas.
Very simple aluminum back plane with circuit boards.
No fans to clean thankfully.
The steel back cover had rounded edges and was tan with nicotine and tar on its inside.
I went through a roll of paper towels, Formula 409, and a bunch of latex gloves on just that.

I did wipe down the aluminum around the circuit boards, but there did not seem to be any tan haze on it.
I do not know the science of all of it, but apparently the steel attracts it and the aluminum does not.
There was a steel plate on the aluminum covering a circuit board and I had to remove it to clean both sides and my rag turned brown.

I have not hung it yet, but it is on a rolling rack in that bedroom for test sniffing.
I will give it a week or two before I hang it.
My nose is not good right now from the chemical and nicotine soaked rags around here.

There were some thin foam strips that keep the cushion the steel back from the aluminum.
I am hoping the 409 over spray might be enough to keep them from holding the stink.
I had my nose right up to them, but like I said. My sense of smell is off right now.
 

·
Mr. FixAnything
Joined
·
27,268 Posts
I would put it outside for a week or two - it would be much better for vaporizing residual smell from smoke and your chemicals.
 

·
Difficulty Concen........
Joined
·
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Unfortunately, if I put it outside unattended here in FL for 5 minutes, it would completely disappear like it never existed.

And even if I chained it to something, we are at 80% humidity at night already and in the 90deg range starting next week..

P Smith said:
I would put it outside for a week or two - it would be much better for vaporizing residual smell from smoke and your chemicals.
 

·
Difficulty Concen........
Joined
·
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think I may have got it.
I have passed by it several times tonight and no whiff.
Time will tell.

I see by your location you are not familiar with South Florida.
The attics in Florida are pizza ovens from late April until early December-ish.
And most newer homes have nothing but a small portal hatch to enter them.
Long gone are the days of a second story type attic for storage.
These attics are now crossed by enormous AC vents and tubes, buried in blown insulation, and very hard to traverse.

P Smith said:
well... you could find good ventilated area in your home - perhaps in attic ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,249 Posts
Id bet your garage is the only place other than inside you are even able to consider. But I think if it's inside now and you aren't smelling it that you are good!
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
armophob said:
Unfortunately, if I put it outside unattended here in FL for 5 minutes, it would completely disappear like it never existed.

And even if I chained it to something, we are at 80% humidity at night already and in the 90deg range starting next week..
hahahahahahah.

Sounds like my neighborhood.

Use to live in Lauderdale many, many moons ago, it was iffy, but nothing like it is now. I understand ft. pierce also has problems now.

Anyway, good for you!

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to go over all the areas you used 409 with plain old rubbing alcohol [ cheap at wallyworld ] It does a good job and evaporates in minutes. I've used it on electrical items [ even my pc] for that very reason.
I wouldn't put that TV anywhere there's humidity. Obviously you know that.

If the 409 smell [ better than nicotine, but it would still bother my sinuses] doesn't go away, you might want to consider the rubbing alcohol.
 

·
Difficulty Concen........
Joined
·
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
satcrazy said:
hahahahahahah.

Sounds like my neighborhood.

Use to live in Lauderdale many, many moons ago, it was iffy, but nothing like it is now. I understand ft. pierce also has problems now.

Anyway, good for you!

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to go over all the areas you used 409 with plain old rubbing alcohol [ cheap at wallyworld ] It does a good job and evaporates in minutes. I've used it on electrical items [ even my pc] for that very reason.
I wouldn't put that TV anywhere there's humidity. Obviously you know that.

If the 409 smell [ better than nicotine, but it would still bother my sinuses] doesn't go away, you might want to consider the rubbing alcohol.
I am not getting any 409 smell out of it.
But I can tell you that almost every room in the house and every vehicle I drive has a bottle of rubbing alcohol with a trigger sprayer on it.

I use it constantly to clean everything.
I tried it first, but it was not breaking the tar as well as the 409.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Since this post helped me out through a google search, I wanted to pay my tribute to the next visitor. I bought a 49" Sony Bravia Led from a smoker -wasnt sure if he was smoking or not and totally underestimated the nightmare the former could bring- and when I watched it for a couple of hours the room became like someone just smoked a cigarette. Wiping the surface didnt suffice so I'd have to do something I never did before, opening a TV. My advice to beginners like me is to be careful while opening it, dont force it even after all screws are out, especially the hole that cable enters was difficult to take out of the path and scared me a bit if I damaged the connection as I forced it a bit. Then I used dry napkins on the electronic board pieces that were horribly nicotinized. Wiped the rest of the inside of the TV using a combination of dry napkin and liquid glass cleaner and followed by wet towels with soap. I scrubbed the hell out of it yet still managed to color things brownish but eventually it did no more. Finally I used just watered napkin to clean off the chemicals. The plastic back board probably holds the most nicotine and I also did the same treatment to that. In addition, I simulated the fan idea posted here by strongly blowing to the electronic boards hat I didnt touch with anything wet and it did decrease the smell after some time. And I kept it open for one full day in my room with the window open a little bit. Then put it back together but again be careful with that as danger of damaging things continues. The result? Definitely much less smell, almost none and perhaps the remaining will wear off over time. Thank you for all those who posted here.
 

·
Mr. FixAnything
Joined
·
27,268 Posts
I've a deal with such "nicotinazed" devices for many years... fixing VCR,TV,DVD,DVR and other electronics, coming from various environment of private homestead.

Not my invention, but simplified method from professional lab (they are using a lot of isopropanol :eek:) - use [very] hot water and big long hair brush to clean the devices.
Here is a couple points: best way to clean is disconnect cables and remove all PCBs, gently wipe out back side of TV panel, dry out everything under bright sun for a day or two !

Problem with the awful smell (I'm not a smoker) - it's absorbing by a dust; clean plastic itself do not absorb the smell.
So washing by hot water (small hose is good to use :)), using a brush would effectively clean your device from dust and smell.
 
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Top