DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
AllStar
127 Posts
vipersl said:
I have the HD PVR and use it to archive videos and sporting events. The HD DVR connects to the HD PVR by way of the component output of the HD DVR. You will run a digital audio output from the HD DVR to allow you to keep your recordings in 5.1 DD. The HD PVR connects to your computer through a USB cable and you will run the supplied capture software on the connected computer. The unit captures the video in real time so it will take as long as the playback of the video to capture. The video quality is variable to allow for different quality videos and different sizes of files to archive.

I find the quality to be excellent and have been extremely happy with this purchase. The file format used is the MPEG-2 TS format (this may be adjustable by the software). To keep in the same quality as recorded on the HD DVR it is about 4 GB per hour at this format.
I also have the HD PVR and I concur with these comments -- my experience has been very good -- good quality HD video and only a few glitches. You can't beat this unit for easy of use and cost. Comparable equipment to record HD video costs a LOT more.

One thing to note -- it's not easy to edit the videos so if you are recording football games, etc. that have commercials, you may find it easier to just watch or FF thru the ads.

·
AllStar
127 Posts
mobilelawyer said:
Since you are going to be saving the videos to a hard drive, Videoredo h.264 is a great editor with a tweakable commercial detector. It is a time saver and well worth the $100 it will cost to buy it in my opinion.
Thanks but I'm a Mac guy and Videoredo doesn't run on a Mac. :mad:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.