DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few games on my HD DVR that I want to keep but it's taking up allot of room on my DVR and was wondering if it's possible to bring this content over to my PC? For example can you maybe hook up an external hard drive and some how save it to that device for later use?

·
AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jodyguercio said:
Honestly I don't know. Just remember reading about it somewhere and had bookmarked the page at some point.
It appears you can buy it at Best Buy so I may give it a try?

Other note I think someone needs to inform them that Circuit City went out of business? Either that or they haven't updated that page for that past few years.

·
AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vipersl said:
I have the HD PVR and use it to archive videos and sporting events. The HD DVR connects to the HD PVR by way of the component output of the HD DVR. You will run a digital audio output from the HD DVR to allow you to keep your recordings in 5.1 DD. The HD PVR connects to your computer through a USB cable and you will run the supplied capture software on the connected computer. The unit captures the video in real time so it will take as long as the playback of the video to capture. The video quality is variable to allow for different quality videos and different sizes of files to archive.

I find the quality to be excellent and have been extremely happy with this purchase. The file format used is the MPEG-2 TS format (this may be adjustable by the software). To keep in the same quality as recorded on the HD DVR it is about 4 GB per hour at this format.
Thanks for the information. Other than buying the device and wires do you need to buy anything else?

vipersl said:
You will run a digital audio output from the HD DVR to allow you to keep your recordings in 5.1 DD.
Also I'm not exactly sure how you go the surround sound part working? Because it's using component wires and HD PVR doesn't have any digital inputs, how are you capturing the digital audio with the video together?

·
AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ssandhoops said:
Another option is a vucano: http://www.myvulkano.com/

A vulcano is similar to a sling box except both the pc and iPad players give you the option of recording whatever you playback. The recordings are saved in mp4. I have the vulcano flow and I've used it to transform several dvr recordings to my pc, including all of last year's Green Bay Packer playoff run.
vulcano flow support digital audio? It doesn't look like it by the back of the device but it does include 1 HDMI cable, which it wouldn't give you it didn't support HDMI at all?

·
AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I bought HD-PVR and it has worked pretty well. I've recorded 2 Clemson football games off my DVR and had bit trouble at first but things are working well now.

The setup is fairly easy and they seem to keep updating their drivers for the device.

Recording the program was fairly easy. Took me a bit to figure out why DD5.1 wasn't working, but figured out that I had to switch audio to SPDIF. Once I did that it worked.

I noticed that whatever resolution you have your Direct TV receiver set at is the resolution HD-PVR is going to capture at. At first I was assuming because ESPN broadcast in 720p that I would capture at that resolution, but that is not the case. Which if you think about it pretty much makes sense.

The first few test I did I was getting allot jerky picture even with updated drivers. I have seem to fix this issue by not having the "Show Preview" checked.

The burning software it comes with is pretty useless. You can't burn to a Blu-ray Disc at all. However, you can burn your videos as AVCHD to your dvd player, have fun doing that when your video is 25 gigs in size. :eek2:

Now editing has been even more interesting like folks have said in this post.

The first thing I found out you can't really find any free software for video editing. I figured their may be a Open Source project but wasn't able to find one. Than again now that I think about it Windows Live Movie Maker may work?

I first started out with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.0. I really liked this software until I found out you can't burn to Blu-ray Disc with DD5.1. However you can burn to DVD with DD5.1. :confused: Also their specs on the website is very misleading because it makes you think you can burn Blu-ray Disc with DD5.1.

Now I'm trying Avid Studios. The first speed bump I had with this software is it doesn't have support for .TS files when I recorded everything in .TS format. Looks like I'm going to have to capture everything in M2TS from this point forward. The software also doesn't seem as powerful and the interface is not smooth as Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.0 but it doing the job so far. However I haven't tried burning to Blu-ray Disc with DD5.1 yet.

I'm going to try Windows Live Movie Maker, Adobe Elements and Videoredo h.264 which some have recommend in this post. Not sure if anyone else has recommendations on video Editing software?

Anyway, it's been fun to just play with these different types of software.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.