DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Godfather
322 Posts
I too have a HD PVR, connected via component and digital optical (recently I completely removed the R/L cables from the set as I wasn't using them)

and adobe premiere elements for editing (used the trial and plan to buy shortly)
the auto analyze feature worked great and then just had to go through the timeline and remove the parts I didn't want, then pick the output format and bitrate

and at $50 on newegg, er scratch that it must have been a deal for the holidays, now its $85 adobe premiere elements is fairly low priced

·
Mentor
45 Posts
I have the Hauppauge Colossus, which is similar to the Hauppauge HD-PVR, except it is a PC card. Works very well. I use Arcsoft Showbiz, which come with it to edit files and Arcsoft Mediaconverter to put files into a compatible format for my iPad and iPhone.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
Yeah. If you have any interest in editing out the commercials VideoReDo is a great product. I haven't used the new version for hd but I did use an older version for some SD stuff and it's commercial detection was pretty good and the reencoding is very fast since it only redoes the small portion around the cuts.

·
Godfather
274 Posts
mastrauckas said:
How good does the HD PVR work?
Very well, they also make an internal model that I think might be a little cheaper.

I have the Avertv HD DVR High Definition / Analog Video Capture Card PCIe MTVHDDVRR that will record HD (720p/1080i) over both component and HDMI (as long as there's no HDCP) and it works great.

The internal Hauppauge is $50 more and has an HDMI input but also includes an optical audio in. The external I believe is even more than that but doesn't have an HDMI in.

HDMI is pretty much useless to you though because the signal will be an HDCP signal so you won't be able to record it anyway, you'll have to use component.

·
Legend
213 Posts
I offload in real-time stuff from my HR24 HD-DVR to a standalone dvd recorder all the time for stuff I want to keep. Unfortunately the 1080i HD is lost in the crossover but it's better than nothing. A consolation is on my upconverting Sony blu ray player the discs look better than when the programming was played off hd-dvr. I just wish the recorder could flag a 4:3 recording (Encore channels) so it won't autostretch on a widescreen tv.

·
AllStar
127 Posts
mobilelawyer said:
Since you are going to be saving the videos to a hard drive, Videoredo h.264 is a great editor with a tweakable commercial detector. It is a time saver and well worth the $100 it will cost to buy it in my opinion.
Thanks but I'm a Mac guy and Videoredo doesn't run on a Mac. :mad:

·
Legend
256 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Actually circuitcity.com still operates under the same umbrella as tigerdirect.com, compusa.com and other zombie brands. They just have no brick-and-mortar stores, but you can't hold that against them :)
There was talk about a year ago about bringing back the stores too but I guess they changed their minds.

·
AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I bought HD-PVR and it has worked pretty well. I've recorded 2 Clemson football games off my DVR and had bit trouble at first but things are working well now.

The setup is fairly easy and they seem to keep updating their drivers for the device.

Recording the program was fairly easy. Took me a bit to figure out why DD5.1 wasn't working, but figured out that I had to switch audio to SPDIF. Once I did that it worked.

I noticed that whatever resolution you have your Direct TV receiver set at is the resolution HD-PVR is going to capture at. At first I was assuming because ESPN broadcast in 720p that I would capture at that resolution, but that is not the case. Which if you think about it pretty much makes sense.

The first few test I did I was getting allot jerky picture even with updated drivers. I have seem to fix this issue by not having the "Show Preview" checked.

The burning software it comes with is pretty useless. You can't burn to a Blu-ray Disc at all. However, you can burn your videos as AVCHD to your dvd player, have fun doing that when your video is 25 gigs in size. :eek2:

Now editing has been even more interesting like folks have said in this post.

The first thing I found out you can't really find any free software for video editing. I figured their may be a Open Source project but wasn't able to find one. Than again now that I think about it Windows Live Movie Maker may work?

I first started out with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.0. I really liked this software until I found out you can't burn to Blu-ray Disc with DD5.1. However you can burn to DVD with DD5.1. :confused: Also their specs on the website is very misleading because it makes you think you can burn Blu-ray Disc with DD5.1.

Now I'm trying Avid Studios. The first speed bump I had with this software is it doesn't have support for .TS files when I recorded everything in .TS format. Looks like I'm going to have to capture everything in M2TS from this point forward. The software also doesn't seem as powerful and the interface is not smooth as Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.0 but it doing the job so far. However I haven't tried burning to Blu-ray Disc with DD5.1 yet.

I'm going to try Windows Live Movie Maker, Adobe Elements and Videoredo h.264 which some have recommend in this post. Not sure if anyone else has recommendations on video Editing software?

Anyway, it's been fun to just play with these different types of software.

·
Cool Member
38 Posts
Take a look at TMPGEnc Authoring Works. They have a free trial.

It will read almost any format for input including .TS files and the editing interface is excellent.

It will only output for burning to a disc or divx. So it won't just convert a project to one file like an mp4 for instance, meaning you can't use it to edit and convert for mobile devices.

It will output the file structure to burn to a DVD or Blu-ray and has a burning tool.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.