DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a HR34 from solidsignal.com a couple days ago and it should be getting here soon. I actually called DTV and complained about my HR20 being so slow and unresponsive that they said they would give me a $199 credit towards a new receiver. Long story short but I told them I didn't want them to send me just any receiver in stock and that I wanted to pick it out -- so they referred me to solidsignal.com and said to call in and request the credit be applied to my account when I activate.

I then called back a couple days later to verify that the deal was still good because I was skeptical and thought that when I called to activate my new receiver they would act clueless -- they verified in my notes that I'm due for a $199 credit when I activate a new receiver.

Anyways..

I ordered the HR34 and realize there might be some issues with it as it's very new. No HDGUI for one. But I'm curious if I need to consider anything special.

Right now I have:
(1) HR20 - named Theater
(1) HR22 - named Family Room
(1) H24 - named Bedroom
Whole Home using DECA kit at each receiver
SWM enabled with a single RG6 coax run going to each of the above rooms. I believe it's a SWM-8 connection but I need to verify. I will need 5+2+1 tuners = 7 right?

Do I need to do anything when unplugging my HR20, like deactivating Whole Home or renaming it or anything special apart from just disconnecting it?

When I plug in my HR34, I will connect the Coax + the DECA kit to my Satellite In and Ethernet port on the back of the HR34. Do I need to do anything special to re-enable Whole Home?

Anything else I'm potentially missing about installing and activating this new receiver by myself?

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know and thanks for the quick math lesson :)

Do I still need to plug in an ethernet cable to my HR34 that gets back to my router for whole home to work? Right now, the white DECA box plugs into my satellite in and my ethernet port for all my receivers. I assume I don't need to remove the DECA from the other receivers.

I also have something plugged into a coax and then into my router that I believe is what making those white DECA's ethernet connections work.

·
Hall Of Fame
9,690 Posts
inboundcs said:
Good to know and thanks for the quick math lesson :)

Do I still need to plug in an ethernet cable to my HR34 that gets back to my router for whole home to work? Right now, the white DECA box plugs into my satellite in and my ethernet port for all my receivers. I assume I don't need to remove the DECA from the other receivers.

I also have something plugged into a coax and then into my router that I believe is what making those white DECA's ethernet connections work.
The 'Something Plugged into a coax . . .Router" is the broadband adapter. Leave it alone, and no ethernet in the 34.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
The HR34 can act as the bridge from DECA to your home network and you can eliminate one bit from your system. Less pieces less likely to fail is my mantra.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
dakeeney said:
Everybody is googoogaga over Solid Signal but their price for the HR-34 is no better than any other place. Give me a great price and I might consider getting one.
I was thinking more that they are a quality site to buy from. I have bought things from them several times and I have never had an issue.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
dakeeney said:
I do believe they are a great company. I just think they should have a little better price on the 34 to beat the competition but they don't.
Thats expecting alot. I can tell you that the Nomad was listed $5 cheaper on their site compared to D*'s. I do not know if that is still true but I was surprised. I am not surprised that new products from D* are typically not cheaper on their site.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
dakeeney said:
Everybody is googoogaga over Solid Signal but their price for the HR-34 is no better than any other place. Give me a great price and I might consider getting one.
Since they are currently very high demand and short supply, almost everyone is going to sell them for the same price. IF all you care about is the price, a 34 is probably not for you...

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I verified that I have a SWM-8 but I actually have 5 of the 8 ports labelled "out" connected and in use and I'm wondering if I'll have enough room for the HR34 to function on all 5 tuners. I have a power amp type thing plugged into one of the SWM "out" ports. And I have a broadband adapter plugged into another one of the SWM "out" ports (since the SWM is right next to my router). The other 3 "out" ports are running to my receivers detailed out in the first post. My question is, does the power amp and the broadband adapter take one of the SWM tuners even if they are plugged into the SWM directly? Because HR34 = 5, HR22 = 2 and H24 = 1 tuner, which would total 8 :) and I'm wondering if I'm going to need a SWM-16 if I also need the broadband adapter and power amp. I know the HR34 doesn't actually require 5 physical connections to the SWM, so I realize I have enough physical connections but am curious if those other things take up tuners.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great news and thanks. I guess I have one other potential issue. My house was previously wired with coax and right now where I will be putting the HR34 is RG59 (not RG6). I remember the installer said I might have issues with RG59 but so far I've had none using my HR20-700 and RG59 cable for a few years. It would probably be a cabling nightmare to get RG6 pulled to that location. I've been recording two HD shows at once as well as doing MRV to and from that location without any problem. But the HR20 is only two tuners and the HR34 will be 5 tuners... I wonder if my RG59 cable will finally cause me issue. I guess only one way to find out this Wednesday when my receiver gets here.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just wanted to close this thread with one last update. I got my HR34 last night and installed it with no issues. As an existing customer, I feel lucky to have gotten a $199 credit towards it even though I purchased it from solidsignal and they aren't even officially rolling it out to existing customers yet.

It did an automatic software update pretty early on and my only complaints right now are:
1. The guide still seems to take an extra second or two to pull up. Seems faster than my HR20-700 but slower than the HR24.
2. Hoping for the new HD Guide to get rolled out quickly.
3. I've turned Native Video off, and now channel changing is faster.

No other complaints (yet)!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.