DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the most HD for the least $$ ?

I currently have a grandfathered TOTAL CHOICE - no locals - package at $47.99, Grandfathered free DVR service- lifetime, HD access at $9.99, and HBO+Showtime for $25

They are upgrading me to the new equipment on Friday, so I will get more HD channels... But, if I want all the available HD channels (regular & premium- excluding sports pkgs. and channels) what's the most cost effective way to go about it?

Premier+HD Access+ HD Extra
or
Plus HD DVR+ HD Extra+ HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz

Any options trying to keep grandfathered services or prices? Any other options you see?

· Icon
868 Posts
Option #1:

Premier @ 104.99 + HD Access @ $9.99 = $114.98

Assuming you have the lifetime DVR service, as you stated, you do not have to add $5.99 for that. You would also have access the the sports channels which you said you don't care about.

Option #2:

Plus HDDVR @72.99 + 4 Premiums @ $43.00 = $115.99

But you are paying for DVR service in the package that you don't need.

Option #3:

Keep TC and add the locals @ $50.99 + HD Access @ $9.99 + 4 Premiums @ $43 =
$103.98.

But you don't get all the available HD channels.

So I would suggest Option #3:

Choice Extra @ $57.99 + HD Access @ $9.99 + 4 Premiums @ $43 = $110.98:)

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
It's about $3 cheaper to keep you grandfathered Total Choice Plus versus Plus HDDVR. And of course, as you said in your first post, you'd also need to add HD Extra to the options above. You should be able to keep your old package and just add to it over the phone. I don't think you can do it online. And I personally don't think you're missing much without the HD Extra pack if you want to save a few more bucks.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, Looking at it it looks like I would do the best by just adding the rest of the premium channels (Starz- Cinemax- HD extra) to my old grandfathered Total Choice package. It looks to be about $12 less ($17 if I lose grandfathered lifetime DVR) than going with premier+HD+HD Extra... About the same for Xtra Plus HDDVR...

I would only be missing 5 HD channels from Xtra; NHL, Tennis, Biography, Science, & Planet Green.

Fox Biz, Fuel, National Geo, Speed, & Versus/Golf are grandfathered into my Total Choice.

If I add the premiums on line will it screw up any of the grandfathered stuff? Or should I just call. Some how I think the CSR is just as likely to mess it up...

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.