DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just saw Odyssey 5. The words "derivative", "predictable", "Lifeless", "Pedestrian", "uninspired", and "unsustainable" come to mind.

A 5 year mission to see who is behind the "Attack of the Bodysnatchers" is just not going to last long. I'll keep on watching it. Perhaps it will get better. But right now...if it were to disappear off the face of the earth, I would not shed a tear.

See ya
Tony

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Tony, I completely disagree!

Technically, this was the best program I've seen on Showtime. The HD picture was shot in 1080p at 24fps, and it shows - the picture rivals the HD video that you see on PBS-HD, or Discovery-HD (I'm assuming here). In most scenes, the director added no grain to the image whatsoever, leaving am absolutely crystal clear window effect. The DD 5.1 sound was also the best I've heard on Showtime. The enveloping sound when the earth exploded was incredible. Even if the story of the show was horrendous, I'd watch this show each and every week for the picture and sound.

But, I also found the story to be compelling. I found the characters well rounded and very believable. I've always been a fan of Peter Weller, and in this he doesn't disappoint. In a general sense, what I like about the story this far: this is definitely an "arc" series - episodes flow into episodes, rather than being the story of the week. The conspiracy story certainly isn't original, but I found the leadup to the conspiracy to be very original, and very compelling. These people have a very good reason to do what they are going to do. I also like the fact that things are happening differently for them this time around - the idea that small, subtle changes affect what will come. Most time travel stories take the opposite tact - that the timestream absorbs small changes or ripples. I like the fact that because this series is on Showtime, network limitations are not in place.

I think this show has great potential, and hope that it will last its entire run. Showtime's history hasn't been the best at giving series' a chance to shine. I really hope they do this time around because this could be one of their shining stars. It definitely is visually the best material they have.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
I've always been a fan of time travel and really liked the first half of the pilot but I agree with Tony. Each of the coming weeks will be nothing more than a series of frustrations trying to find who blew up the earth. I will still check out a few more episodes though to give it a chance.

I do agree with you Mark. The 1080i looks fantastic!

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, I think you hit on the issue that bothered me the most and I didn't even realize it. Aside from the predictable built-in character conflicts which were just too transparent. Aside from the Irwin Allen "Time Tunnel" single episode plot that's streched out into a series. Aside from the fact that an entity capable of taking conciousness back 5 years and not having the capacity to SAY WHAT HE KNOWS or at least implant his knowledge of the situation, what really bugs me now is that the rest of the series will have NOTHING but failure until the final episode. I have to admit, I was never an X-files fan for just the same reason.

As to the technical side of the show, even on SD, the show looked great except some of the smoke scenes. The special effects were theatrical quality. The wightlessness effects were awesome. I wonder if they used the vomit commet like Ron Howard did with Apollo 13 for some of those scenes?

It's also nice to see a Showtime Sci-Fi series that isn't mased at Chyenne Mountain and British Columbia! (SG1---100's of planets where they speek English and looks like BC----Jerrimiah everywhere they go, there are mountains and tall pines....looks like BC)

See ya
Tony

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
Season 1 on showtime-set up
Season 2 on showtime-discovery of more of the conspiracy
Season 3 on showtime-more discovery, plus convincing a few people that something is going on-
Season 4 on showtime-all the spouses divorce the principles because they think they are all crazy(actually cost cutting measure because...)
Season 5 on sci fi-conspracy exposed and earth almost saved, but because this becomes the top rated series on sci fi, earth gets destroyed and john neville happens to find several more people(for the new cast) hiding in the trunk of that car that floated by the shuttle in the first episode....

·
Welcome to Torchwood
1,602 Posts
Originally posted by jrjcd
Season 5 on sci fi-conspracy exposed and earth almost saved, but because this becomes the top rated series on sci fi, earth gets destroyed and john neville happens to find several more people(for the new cast) hiding in the trunk of that car that floated by the shuttle in the first episode....
Unless is was a Yugo! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.