DBSTalk Forum banner

After one year, what do you think of the R15?

• A - Above average, the best electronic purchase I’ve made.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B – Besides an occasional hiccup, it does a great job.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • C - Could be improved, has many minor difficulties

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • D – Does not impress me, still too many problems not being addressed.

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • E - Even after a year, with all the updates it still is far from reliable.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • F – Fails to meet my expectations for a DVR, I would not purchase another from DTV.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Icon
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had mine for a year as some of you have. I've watched it get better, worse, better again. I've heard the, "just wait for the next update" line and think that a year of "tweaking" should make it "golden".

Oh yeah, we now even have Showcases.

TIME TO VOTE!!

Here is your chance to let Direct TV know if they "failed" to provide you with what they told you you were getting.

POLL CLOSES ON 11/17/06

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
I'm not going to vote yet. I haven't had enough experience with 10F1 to determine. As of 10E8, it would probably be a C- or D+. I'm hoping 10F1 will improve that.

Carl

· Icon
530 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
Should you not have posted this in 10 days then? :)
My vote was based on the DTV performance (with regards to R15) for the year, not on whether the recent update works or not...

I would have difficulty given what has transpired greater than a D even if recent upgrade makes it PERFECT as advertised.

To me a C is average or what I expect to be normal for a consumer electronic device I purchase.

This falls well short for me and I don't think 10 days is necesary to determine the score for the previous 355.

· Icon
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, a year is a year. That is since it's been out, not since, you or I or anyone has had it. I know that you Clint have an opinion, and you and I know what they say about opinions. While not scientific, the number of voters has always increased each quarter so it's a "yardstick" if nothing else. I 02468'd this latest/greatest update yesterday and think I have a pretty good idea as to if it warrants a "you did a great job Brownie" accolade or not.

Besides, we're the only folks that read this anyway, right?

· Icon
928 Posts
Poster please change your title to "Give D* or Directv a Final Report Card" The acronym DTV stands for Digital Television (aka Digital TV).

· Icon
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smthkd said:
Poster please change your title to "Give D* or Directv a Final Report Card" The acronym DTV stands for Digital Television (aka Digital TV).
Did a search for DTV in these forums, 300 hits. Guess they will have to sue me.:D

Also a google search provides both and the stock ticker DTV is for Direct TV.

"DTV
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
DTV is a three-letter acronym which may mean:

Direct-to-video, a method of film release which skips the theatre screening process and makes the movie readily available for home viewing
Digital television
Direct-to-TV, a Commodore 64 self-contained within a joystick
Democracy, formerly known as DTV
DirecTV, a Satellite Television company
D-TV, music videos produced by Walt Disney Productions
Dealer Team Vauxhall, the group responsible for Vauxhall's competition efforts in the 1970s and 80s. "

( I did try to edit it but do not seem to be able to edit the thread name)

Thanks for the heads up though.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I only have 2 main concerns with the box...

1. The First Run Bug

I know it's not really a bug rather a missing "feature". Makes sorting through recordings a pain in the butt when your record shows off TLC and Discovery that tend to repeat over and over... It also ties up the DVR at times it's not needed.

2. Series Link Limit too low. IMO 50 is a low number. I haven't hit it yet so it's not directly affecting me yet. Just seems rather low. I don't consider myself to be a huge TV watcher, but I easily racked up 28 SL's and that makes me nervous knowing that when I hit 50 I'm SOL! :eek2:

· Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
ISWIZ said:
No, a year is a year. That is since it's been out, not since, you or I or anyone has had it. I know that you Clint have an opinion, and you and I know what they say about opinions. While not scientific, the number of voters has always increased each quarter so it's a "yardstick" if nothing else. I 02468'd this latest/greatest update yesterday and think I have a pretty good idea as to if it warrants a "you did a great job Brownie" accolade or not.

Besides, we're the only folks that read this anyway, right?
I didn't vote yet. I actually am waiting for the new version to hit my box, tried to force the update but nothing yet. I'm not sure what to give it, mine has been pretty good but the past week or so it's been a little odd. Missed a recording (thankfully not mine) has done some other odd things. I have always had the issue of it recording far more then I care for it to record so I'm hoping that the new update will fix my major complaint with the box FR/Repeat.

Oh as for my comment about the 10 days I was just messing with you. :)

· Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
Smthkd said:
There is no need to change it from DTV as this is their Stock symbol and is what many people know it by for a shortened name.

· Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
1. The First Run Bug

I know it's not really a bug rather a missing "feature". Makes sorting through recordings a pain in the butt when your record shows off TLC and Discovery that tend to repeat over and over... It also ties up the DVR at times it's not needed.
This seems to be much improved with the latest update. It's a little early for me to give it a full endorsement, though. I haven't had the update a week yet.

· Hall Of Fame
2,353 Posts
Gave it a C (because C- wasn't available).

Won't call it a 'Final Report' as I haven't received the much touted Phase 2 of the 'Major Update'.

Hopefully, Phase 2 is where the real fixes are as Phase 1 has done little to improve what I would consider a very sub-par consumer electronics device .
Judging by the bullet-points of the release notes, that doesn't look to promising though...

· Godfather
356 Posts
I also gave it a 'C' with 10F1 reliabilty has went up (B?) but with the slowness of the trick play buttons really offsets the reliabilty IMHO.

The reliability wasnt that bad before (for me) now it picks up on and doesn't record as many repeats is the plus.

· Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
F.
I really thought by now the limits would be gone. Until then it will not be capable of handling the primary viewing location in my house, period.

· Hall Of Fame
1,446 Posts
I gave it an F because I'm very frustrated with the continuing problems with the lock ups and BSOD (admittedly I've only gotten the BSOD once or twice in the past couple of months but since there is no recovering from it other then to simply delete the show in question, and believe me I've tried every tip or trick to recover a recording from the BSOD that I've seen posted so yes, that's still unacceptable to me, why? Because in the five years I had TiVo that never happened, not once).

I really believe that you should not have to put the unit in standby every time you leave the room for a minute or two to avoid the unit locking up. You should be able to pause live TV or a recording and again not deal with the unit locking up more often then not. I have practically given up using pause for fear of another lock up and the guide and my TDL list taking a day or more to repopulate. I am tired of not being able to simply put on an XM satellite channel and leave it playing while I do other things, if I try I come back to a locked up unit. Reformatting, resetting everything, red button reset, unplugging none of that is a solution, at least not for this unit. I'm also tired of babysitting the TDL constantly wondering if it's going to add my auto records and series links. A DVR should be just set and forget for the most part. I know people hate when TiVo is brought up but at least with my stand alone TiVo I was able to set season passes, leave them alone and know when I turned on my TV to watch a show it would be there. Period.

I just don't believe you should have to constantly fuss over a DVR to get it to do just the basic function of recording the shows you've set up a series link or auto record for.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Why does it have to be a "final" report card?

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Without a doubt, this was the worst piece of consumer electronics I have encountered in my life.

Forgetting the incredibly poor user interface, the unit was buggier than Maine in June.

Given the spontaneous restarts, lockups, loss of Series Links, failure to start recording a Series Link until you turn the unit on or at all experienced by myriad users, it's dispicable that DirectTV hasn't recalled the units, much less continues to ship them.

This is clearly a unit that was shipped long before its time.

Using an R15 was like hitting myself somewhere sensitive. It sure feels good when I stop.

I've solved all my R15 problems with a SD-DVR40 from eBay.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.