DBSTalk Forum banner

Giving DVR as a Gift?

2K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  mcmattyo 
#1 ·
I was hoping to get a DVR as a gift for my Uncle. I figured I could just "lease" one from directv for the price they're offering it to me ($99 for an SD DVR) and then give it to my Uncle and have him activate it for his account. But when I e-mailed directv recently about this I got a response that said the boxes could not be purchased, but only leased and then went on about what a great deal that was. After thinking more about it, I guess it comes down to one question: when you lease a DVR off one account, must it be activated on the same account?

I figure I'll call directv about this, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts about it here before I called or maybe even some experience with trying to do it.

#3 ·
I don't think there is any proof of ownership required. I gave my daughter an inactive DVR, she called D* and gave them all the proper numbers and they activated it. I would think that would hold true if one were purchased in a store. The only requirement I remember is it needs to be activated within so many days after the purchase, 30 IIRC.

#4 ·
I just checked Best Buy and Circuit City online and in my area and they have no R15s available. But since it's a lease regardless, shouldn't it work just the same getting one from directv? My only concern is that they'll insist that the dvr be activated to the account that it was purchased from. If they only care if the dvr gets activated after a certain amount of time, then it wouldn't matter if it got activated on my account or my Uncles.

#5 ·
shendley said:
I figure I'll call directv about this, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts about it here before I called or maybe even some experience with trying to do it.
Just a few of things to keep in mind: When a new receiver is activated on an account it starts a new commitment 24 months for HD and DVR receivers, 18 months for standard receivers. Also you need 2 cables from the satellite to the DVR to be able to record 1 channel and watch another, and the DVR service is $5.99 a month.

#6 ·
DIRECTV will come after you for a big fee if the receiver isn't activated within 30 days or so. If your uncle activates the receiver within that time span, there shouldn't be a problem.

If there is any chance that it won't work out or get activated in a timely manner, I'd recommend against this plan as you'll end up with a stiff penalty.

#8 ·
JLucPicard said:
let him work with DirecTV. Not as fun
If you want to give him something more fun than working with DirecTV, you could give him a root canal. :grin:

Seriously, you may want to reconsider if this is the right gift as you will be giving him a new 2-year commitment, monthly DVR fees, and forcing him to get another line installed for the second tuner (assuming he doesn't have a DVR there already).

#9 ·
JLucPicard said:
You could also just give your uncle the money and let him work with DirecTV. Not as fun, but may be more practicle in this case.
I think he is trying to take advantage of the 99 dollar HD DVR offer that they have going on right now online. His uncle may not have the offer available to him.

#10 ·
Yes, this is a pain, my father wanted to switch to HD, so I bought him a TV and a H-20 for christmas, the cards expired on the H20 before Christmas and they thought he was a DTV pirate and it took about 100 calls to get him new cards. I ordered the thing from DTV too, with them in full knowledge of why I was buying it, what account it was going to, and the fact that it wouldn't be installed until said holiday. Find a different gift.

#11 ·
Some good points here. I am starting to rethink this a bit. I'd already considered the extended commitment and $5 DVR fee and I don't think my Uncle would have a problem with that - in fact, I've already told him about both of these things in conversations with him as he's expressed a real interest in getting a DVR. For some reason or other, he just hasn't acted on it. But it had completely slipped my mind that he'd need a second line to take full advantage of it. It would probably be best for him to work out a deal himself and get free installation.

#15 ·
How about a BB gift card...and a suggested use for it?

#16 ·
If you order a DVR on your account, and then your uncle activates it, DirecTV COULD charge you the Non-Return Fee.

Its totally legal too.
Because the receiver is ordered on your account, it should be activated on your account, and there's a "pending" card added to your account until its reaplced by the real card when you activate it.

If you'd like to get your Uncle a DVR, you can purchase one for the up front lease fee at a retailer, or you could call in on his account.

#17 ·
CJTE said:
If you order a DVR on your account, and then your uncle activates it, DirecTV COULD charge you the Non-Return Fee.

Its totally legal too.
Because the receiver is ordered on your account, it should be activated on your account, and there's a "pending" card added to your account until its reaplced by the real card when you activate it.

If you'd like to get your Uncle a DVR, you can purchase one for the up front lease fee at a retailer, or you could call in on his account.
just do not order the dvr ON HIS ACCOUNT and use your credit card calling it in. otherwise your card ends up on his account.

#18 ·
Just buy a used one off Ebay for $15 you will own it and have to pay $20 for new access card. I did this, I have 4 hr20's and 4 R-15 that I own no way would I pay $100 or $300 to lease a receiver and return it. As far as warranty goes get the protection plan it covers lease and owed receivers.

#19 ·
mcmattyo said:
Just buy a used one off Ebay for $15 you will own it and have to pay $20 for new access card. I did this, I have 4 hr20's and 4 R-15 that I own no way would I pay $100 or $300 to lease a receiver and return it. As far as warranty goes get the protection plan it covers lease and owed receivers.
accidenly buy a rcvr that is not clear to activate, and get burned by ebay for what ever you paid

#21 ·
I've given DTV as a gift twice before, for my brother in law and my father in law. Got them both DVR's on their accounts and paid for HD Service for a year after asking for them to comp HD service for a year. worked both times. I had one time credits applied to their accounts for the serivce and equipment. no hassles and they have HD on DTV for a year and on me for another year. If they want it after that, they know it's on them.

#22 ·
mcmattyo said:
true make sure you get receiver ID # and clear it with D first although I have never had any problems but supposedly its happens.
I would be interested to know if ou actually own them? Regardless of where you get them, it seems that once activated they are marked as leased.

#23 ·
I ordered one for my sister and brother in-law as a christmas present. I ordered it online with their account number. I had to setup the install because they needed a dish upgrade to the slimline.

I paid the initial STB fee on my debit card, then they activated it after install.

#24 ·
That’s the problem these days with many of our electronic toys today. Things like cell phones, satellite radio and DVR’s tend to come with monthly service fees and commitments which can make them somewhat odd to give as gifts. We’ve gotten hooked on Sirius radio, and I’ve decided to give my parents one for Christmas. They spend a lot of time on the road driving back and forth to their boat at the coast and I think they’d enjoy it. I have debated about just adding it to my account, but I may be at my limit now with 4 radios. At least with Sirius, you own the equipment and can also buy gift cards to pay for the service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.