DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 years with Directv I have finally canceled my service. The increasing cost compared to streaming services is what did it. Directv had been a fantastic service that served me well over the last 20 years.

I made the switch to YoutubeTv and my only regret has been not doing so sooner. MyTV bill has gone down over $100 a month. I can still record shows and skip the commercials.

The aggravating thing is that when I called to cancel I asked if there were any discounts that would bring my bill to $100 a month and if so I would keep it. I was told no, which was fine as I already had my streaming service set up since the first two weeks were free. Then when I call back because my Directv service was still on even though my online account said that it was disconnected I was told that there were several discounts available that would lower my bill to $80 total for the next year. If they would have offered that the first time I would still have the service.

I’ve heard the horror stories of shipping back equipment and am hopeful everything will be done correctly.

Thanks to all the people on this forum that helped provide so much information over the years, I truly appreciate it all.

And goodbye Directv.

·
1,135 Posts
They should send you an email mail on how to return your boxes with a bar code and your acct no. Just toss your boxes into a bag and bring into a FedEx or ups location along with the e mail confirmation since they will need it to scan your boxes into the system. Keep the receipt for 500 years as you might need it one day and it has the tracking number on it also

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I actually got an email last night. They only want 2 of the 4 boxes back. I have 2 HR24’s a HR44 and a mini. I will definitely keep the receipt as I am sure many people end up getting charged after sending back the equipment.

·
Administrator
432 Posts
Yeah I'd hold on to paperwork for at least a year.

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
I was told that there were several discounts available that would lower my bill to $80 total for the next year. If they would have offered that the first time I would still have the service.
You do sometimes have to play CSR roulette (assuming you called the right CSRs at the right time that first time ;) ), but you can often get discounts that make live TV streaming not worth the hassle (assuming you have a "normal" amount of TVs and not something crazy like some folks on here have in the range of 10+).

I'm on a very nice discount now, cheaper then anything I'll get through streaming (again, minus all the hassle with that), so for now, I'll stay til the last bird falls out the sky :D.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I took the equipment back this morning and even the lady at the UPS store told me to hold the paperwork she gave me for several months. 😂
I think that's just universal now. I returned something to Amazon a couple months ago at a UPS store and they told me to hang onto the receipt for a few months in case they dispute that I returned it.

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You do sometimes have to play CSR roulette (assuming you called the right CSRs at the right time that first time ;) ), but you can often get discounts that make live TV streaming not worth the hassle (assuming you have a "normal" amount of TVs and not something crazy like some folks on here have in the range of 10+).

I'm on a very nice discount now, cheaper then anything I'll get through streaming (again, minus all the hassle with that), so for now, I'll stay til the last bird falls out the sky :D.
I tried to play CSR roulette but I guess green kept coming up for me. Tried many times with no luck. Called the loyalty numbers I had and tried the cancel service route. I was on a $20 a month discount bringing my total down to $175 a month. They all said nothing more was available. Not until the service was canceled did I receive an offer of $80 a month which I would have gladly paid if offered before the cancellation. Once I had streaming setup I was just ready to move on. And honestly I haven’t missed Directv. The only thing I wish YouTubeTV had was channel numbers but I can live without it for $100 a month.

·
1,135 Posts
I tried to play CSR roulette but I guess green kept coming up for me. Tried many times with no luck. Called the loyalty numbers I had and tried the cancel service route. I was on a $20 a month discount bringing my total down to $175 a month. They all said nothing more was available. Not until the service was canceled did I receive an offer of $80 a month which I would have gladly paid if offered before the cancellation. Once I had streaming setup I was just ready to move on. And honestly I haven’t missed Directv. The only thing I wish YouTubeTV had was channel numbers but I can live without it for $100 a month.
not like you can't resign up as a new sub and get the deals again. i signed back up 2 days later after canceling!!!

·
Icon
1,028 Posts
As a 24 year subscriber, I'm not too far behind you. Last year I turned off 3 of my DVR's and switched to the entertainment package and it's still too much. I also look around and probably have 3 if not 4 more receivers that never get turned on. I've loaded two of them up with movies and I just need to disconnect them from the sat feed and then call in and get DTV to disconnect them. I've already got a few other streaming services, so all I need to find is a cheap package that I can use that gets the various news channels. Since I have Xfinity and Spectrum, I may just add one of their TV services to my Internet package and then use their service to logon to the various apps.

·
Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a 24 year subscriber, I'm not too far behind you. Last year I turned off 3 of my DVR's and switched to the entertainment package and it's still too much. I also look around and probably have 3 if not 4 more receivers that never get turned on. I've loaded two of them up with movies and I just need to disconnect them from the sat feed and then call in and get DTV to disconnect them. I've already got a few other streaming services, so all I need to find is a cheap package that I can use that gets the various news channels. Since I have Xfinity and Spectrum, I may just add one of their TV services to my Internet package and then use their service to logon to the various apps.
I understand. I had no service issues with Directv only the price. There are just too many less expensive streaming options available to justify keeping Directv.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If all you really care about are cable news channels, the cheapest option will be Sling's Blue package for $35/mo (half off the first month). It includes the big 3 news nets, plus HLN, Vice, and Bloomberg for business news. (No CNBC though.) A Sling subscription doesn't give you access to all the channels' own individual apps though. I think it unlocks some of them, not sure which. But if you just want to flip around between the news channels, you can get them all in the Sling app itself. Plus you get 50 hours of cloud DVR. Be aware, though, that Sling does NOT include your local broadcast channels, so you'll need an OTA antenna for those if you care about them. (Also, be aware that you can watch ABC and Fox shows next-day on Hulu for $7 with ads, CBS shows next-day on Paramount+ for $5 with ads, NBC shows next-day on Peacock Premium for $5 with ads, CW shows next-day in the free CW app with ads, and PBS shows same-day in the free PBS app.)

·
Legend
212 Posts
Once I had streaming setup I was just ready to move on. And honestly I haven’t missed Directv. The only thing I wish YouTubeTV had was channel numbers but I can live without it for $100 a month.
I cancelled my DirecTV service last week (had them for around 15 years I think?) and also made the switch to YoutubeTV and the lack of channel numbers is certainly taking some getting used to. But like you, I've been very pleased with YoutubeTV as well. Cost was a big reason for cancelling D* for me as well.

And definitely hold onto your receipt for the receivers. I took mine back this past Saturday, and one of them has already been received, but no update on the other just yet. They were sent to two different places (one here in CA and the other to AZ), so I'll give them another week or so before contacting them. I've heard the horror stories as well (including from my own family).

·
Godfather
549 Posts
They should send you an email mail on how to return your boxes with a bar code and your acct no. Just toss your boxes into a bag and bring into a FedEx or ups location along with the e mail confirmation since they will need it to scan your boxes into the system. Keep the receipt for 500 years as you might need it one day and it has the tracking number on it also
I just returned an HR24 Monday, but they didn’t scan the barcode, just asked for my account number. Hope that doesn’t cause a snafu. I’ll definitely be hanging on to the paper.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I just returned an HR24 Monday, but they didn’t scan the barcode, just asked for my account number. Hope that doesn’t cause a snafu. I’ll definitely be hanging on to the paper.
Not sure, but I think I've read where some of the lower-end receivers like maybe the HR24 aren't going back to DTV, they just have UPS or FedEx send them to recycling. I think DTV only wants them to return models like the HR44, HR54 and Genie 2 (HS-17). But to be on the safe side, customers should take ALL their equipment to UPS/FedEx and let them sort it out unless DTV specifically tells you not to bother returning specific pieces.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
I just returned an HR24 Monday, but they didn’t scan the barcode, just asked for my account number.
Are you speaking of the DVR barcode? If so, they may just be recycling them as NashGuy suggests and the existence of the transaction is all they need.

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Are you speaking of the DVR barcode? If so, they may just be recycling them as NashGuy suggests and the existence of the transaction is all they need.
Yes, they scanned the code on the DVR but not the one in the email. Do they send an email confirming that they have received it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts