DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm apologizing in advanced if this has been discussed, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for from the other threads.

Background: I currently have one 721, two 311's and one 301 receivers. I just bought a Sony 60" SXRD and currently have it connected to the 721 via S Video (doesn't look too bad...its very watchable) but now thoughts turn to watching and recording HD.

What I'm wanting to do is leave my 721 where it is for recording SD content and add the 622 along side the 721. After a lot of reading, I'm thinking SD content will look better via S Video than HDMI or Component. With the limited record time of the 622, this would allow me to use the 622 strictly for HD content and let my wife record her soaps and other SD shows on the 721.

I currently have two Dish 500 dishes, one for the 721 and the other for the other three receivers. Can I put a Quad head on the 721 Dish 500 to share with the 622 (for 110,119) and add either a Dish 300 or Dish 500 pointed to 129 for the 622? I'm thinking this would give me better alignment capabilities than one Dish 1000 pointing to all three.

Also if I can go this route, which switch will I need to connect the 622 to both dishes?

Thanks for any help!

·
Legend
221 Posts
gadgetnut said:
..After a lot of reading, I'm thinking SD content will look better via S Video than HDMI or Component....
Not sure what reading you have been doing but this is incorrect. HDMI/DVI offers the digital stream after decoding "as is" where S-Video and component outputs take the same data stream and convert it to analog. Many people have their HDMI input calibrated deferent than the analogs inputs and assume that the picture is in some way inferior. Sometimes (many times actually) people confuse the more accurate picture of HDMI/DVI to be inferior to a overly processed picture (a good analogie is how audio may sound "better" with the bass and treble turned up but not necessarily more accurate).

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
Based on posts I have read that people have gotten better SD Quality using the svideo inputs and it has been attributed to the TV having better upscaling in the TV than in the 622. Of course this would depend a lot on the quality and technology used by the TV I would think.

Personally I place this type of discussion in the same category as HDMI vs. Component. For some you will see a difference, for others you will not. Definitely a your mileage may vary situation. Hopefully the 622 will get Native Pass through and it will provide additional options in the our strive to acheive the maximum PQ out of SD, but for now s-video is worth trying to see if you do get a PQ improvements.

and ofcourse... :welcome_s to our corner of the net. Hope you will stick around. Lot of good info and people here.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should elaborate on the S Video thought. I'm talking about watching SD programing on the 60" SXRD. I currenlty have the 721 connected via S Video and it looks pretty good. It seems the TV is doing a very good job of up-converting.
I would connect the 622 via HDMI :)

·
8 Posts
The dpp44 switch is used with the Dish1000 (last I heard there were some compatibility issues with the 34 switch and the 1000).

I have a Dish1000 picking up 110,119,129 but my signal strength on the 129 is low (around 60) so I am also curious if a 2 dish approach would be better or if I should try to align my dish.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
gadgetnut said:
I currently have two Dish 500 dishes, one for the 721 and the other for the other three receivers. Can I put a Quad head on the 721 Dish 500 to share with the 622 (for 110,119) and add either a Dish 300 or Dish 500 pointed to 129 for the 622? I'm thinking this would give me better alignment capabilities than one Dish 1000 pointing to all three.
What's on it now? If you get the Quad (2 outs to the 721, 2 to the 622), you would also need 2 xx21* switches to tie in the 129 Dual for the 622. An easier way (hoping you have a DP Twin), is to just add a DP34 switch. The 721 won't be able to read 129's 8PSK transponders, but that's OK.

* SW21 for legacy LNBs, DP21 for DishPro

More possibilities: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/swconfig.htm

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BobaBird said:
What's on it now? If you get the Quad (2 outs to the 721, 2 to the 622), you would also need 2 xx21* switches to tie in the 129 Dual for the 622. An easier way (hoping you have a DP Twin), is to just add a DP34 switch. The 721 won't be able to read 129's 8PSK transponders, but that's OK.
One dish has a DP Twin for the 721, the other has a legacy Quad for the others.
I was hoping to replace the DP Twin with a DP Quad and connect both the 721 and the 622. Then take the DP Twin and mount it on either a 300 or 500 dish and point to 129. I would run the needed cables for the 622. Can I pickup 129 with a 300 or 500 dish using a DP Twin LNB?

Thanks for the help!

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
A few options for you
  • Keep the DP Twin, get a dish and DP Dual for 129, add a DP34
  • DP Quad, DP Twin (Dual preferred), 2 DP21 switches
  • Replace the 721's dish with a Dish 1000, add a DPP Separator behind your 721, no external switch or extra lines or dish needed.
  • Get a DPP Twin for 119/110 for the 2-dish equivalent of a Dish 1000
  • Run everything off a single Dish 1000 (save a few buck with a DP Twin instead of DPP Twin), add a DPP44, connect a DP21 to the 119 and 110 trunking outputs for one of the 3x1 receivers.
Can I pickup 129 with a 300 or 500 dish using a DP Twin LNB?
See the bottom of Instructions for Adding a 61.5° Dish. If it doesn't work, get a DP Dual.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,930 Posts
gadgetnut said:
There a couple of "issues" that you need to be aware of:

1. I'm pretty sure you can have up to six tuners on an account. One of your existing receivers may have to go.
2. The ViP622 and 721 are going to work a whole lot easier if you replace the 721 dish with a Dish1000. In this way, you can avoid running any extra wire inside the house.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
You can have up to 6 receivers (or boxes) on an account. Up to 4 of the tuners in those 6 receivers can be leased. So you can lease 4 single tuner receivers, 2 dual-tuner receivers, or 1 dual 2 singles. Any receivers beyond those, up to 6, are purchased.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info and help!

I don't mind running more cable. I've done it enough in this house, a couple more runs will be a piece of cake. I don't mind a little extra work, I'm looking for a solution that gives me the best alignment possible to all three sats.

As for leasing restrictions, that's not a problem. I'll be buying the equipment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.