DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to have my main HR receiver replaced. After doing so, I notice I can no longer access things like HBO on demand. I can see everything and select it but when I go to watch or record it tells me I need a subscription to HBO On Demand. It has a nice subscribe button there and if you push it it goes to a HBO Max subscription page. Showtime on demand does basically the same thing. I have both HBO and Showtime. I do have HBO Max but it is through AT&T. I called support (which has gotten so bad over the years) and the guy was trying to send me to AT&T. I asked it that would fix Showtime too he said, uhhh......
Yeah, what I thought. He said he sent something to the receiver and it would be 24 hours blah, blah, blah. I'm not expecting much.
HOWEVER, what I want to know, am I supposed to get HBO On Demand if I have HBO? Same with Showtime.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
How recently was the receiver activated?

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
HOWEVER, what I want to know, am I supposed to get HBO On Demand if I have HBO? Same with Showtime.
If you are not subscribed to HBO (or Showtime) through your DirecTV subscription you will not get the OnDemand channels for them. But really if you are subscribed to HBO otherwise you should be able to find anything through the HBO Max app that you would find in OnDemand in DirecTV.

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am subscribed to both of those. And I said, these channels worked on the receiver I had to replace. I think my biggest problem is that the front line customer service reps for Directv don't have a clue what they are doing. I've already done that this week trying to get my mini genie wireless connected to the new receiver. I spent 40 minutes with a front line csr. Only when a second level rep called me back it took about 5 minutes to get it working. When your wireless genie says you need to call DTV for help resetting the wireless connection, just type 9876 on your remote and it will let you set it up. Why the first level rep didn't know this, I don't know. Anyone know how to get to a second level rep quickly?

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
So you get the linear HBO and Showtime chaneels in the 500's? If you do you should get the OnDemand channels. They say it can take 24-48 hours before you get the OnDemand channels when you get anew receiver so they should be coming back soon if that is what it is.

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, this just got weirder. I went to look at my bill, and I have the Entertainment package. I also added HBO and Showtime packages. But I look at my bills online and it doesn't show me having HBO OR Showtime. Not all the way back to Jan. I did have the HDNet Xtra package. Not sure where HBO and Showtime went. And since it is a free preview weekend for all the movie channels, they worked so I thought everything was working. Was HBO and Showtime in the HDNet Xtra package at one time or something? If not, not sure how I've been getting those channels for the last year. I added them and can now stream no problem. Weird.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
HBO and Showtime were (and are) in the Premier package. They would be an add on in lesser packages.

Were you moved from AT&T billing to DIRECTV billing recently? I agree something strange is going on.

With the now added HBO and Showtime packages the OnDemand should show up within 24-48 hours.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
I also added HBO and Showtime packages. But I look at my bills online and it doesn't show me having HBO OR Showtime. Not all the way back to Jan.
Since they weren't on the bill, you didn't add them as you thought you did. Apparently the replacement caused them to look at your account and straighten out the erroneous authorizations.

· AllStar
2,171 Posts
If you are not subscribed to HBO (or Showtime) through your DirecTV subscription you will not get the OnDemand channels for them. But really if you are subscribed to HBO otherwise you should be able to find anything through the HBO Max app that you would find in OnDemand in DirecTV.
The HBO Max app sucks. It is the most glitchy of the streamers that I use. It is SO frustrating to use it, so the Directv HBO On-Demand is important. If only the HBO Max exclusives were on there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts