DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
An Awesome Dude
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I Mostly have movies from the 80s and earlier but I do have some newer ones... My newest movie is SAW II (2005) - They did an excellent job on SAW/SAW II on VHS .. FULL SCREEN,SP MODE.... 100% ANALOGUE AUDIO (@ least on the linear track) .. IT COULDNT BE BETTER!!!

And the copy of SPEED I found is goregous.. Most of them are darker/contrasted down on the tape,looks horrible..... I think this one copy might be a WORK PRINT copy as there is NO HIFI TRACK and at the end of the movie it goes to a blue screen and ya see two arrows pointing back as they are rewinding the master tape..... The video on this one IS GOREGEOUS,not dark,etc.......

I often get DUPLICATES of movies as Im trying to get a better copy..

Thanx for asking buddy :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Went out to Firestone, CO to spend Thanksgiving with some of the grandkids. We took them to see Thor. I will give it an A. A very enjoyable movie, great humor, some teary moments (I guess), lots of action, and a serious couple of baddies.

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
Watched "Kong: Skull Island" on HBOGO yesterday. Interesting take on the big monkey. A few technical flaws but overall a entertaining flic. I give it a B+.
Just saw this on HBO and also agree whole-heartedly with the B+ rating. Only real problem I had was with some of the creature appearance and animation. "Fakier-looking" than it ought to be for today's possible tech (more artistic than realistic). IOW not much creature improvement since the original Jurassic Park from 20+ yr ago.

However, some of the other FX were spectacular.

Only other thing I didn't like was HBO's in and out of letterbox presentation. Although the scenes that were letterboxed mostly needed to be, why not just leave it that way??

(I wonder how many stuck all the way thru the creds to see the setup for the "next one.")

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Does this plot sound familiar? Criminals demands a ransom, and has planted a bomb on a fully-booked bullet train. Should that train drop below 80 kph, the bomb goes BOOM! To demonstrate this point, a bomb goes off on a freight train. And, there is only a limited amount of time before there is no track left.

That's the plot of 1975's Shinkansen daibakuha, better known as The Bullet Train. I saw it back in the 80s on television where it was dubbed and a chunk was edited out. This is the uncut version, but it is also only subtitled.

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
Plenty to dislike about a lot of flicks, especially these days. There's a whole world full of "critically acclaimed" stinkers out there.

While hate is a rather strong word, personally I was entertained by Kong (but then again, I can find a lot of so-called "schlock" to be entertaining as well).

To each their own, I guess.

·
Icon
2,971 Posts
Watch it with subtitles on. So much you miss just listening.
As a general rule I don't like using subtitles if I understand the language. I remember watching Patton in Puerto Rico and they had Spanish subtitles on which was not so bad until they got to the German parts which drove me nut trying to read both English and Spanish subtitles.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
Guardians of the Galaxy, vol.II
Typical Marvel flick. I give it a C.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Watched Bad Santa recently, not so bad, even funny at times -- Billy Bob's comedic timing and delivery was spot on. Gave it a C+.

Following that, watched Bad Santa 2 last night, or rather, tried to watch it. Unwatchable, embarassing, revolting. God-awful! I gave it a resounding Z minus with the caveat of a 'don't watch it with the kids, your mother or your neighbors' warning.

Did I say it was God-awful???

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
We saw Coco the other day. I give it an A. It has tremendous family values, respect for the elderly, and some serious humor. Wait, is that an oxymoron?

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Font Action film Poster Darkness Fictional character
Great WW II film about the desperate evacuation of the British and Allied forces from Dunkirk, France. The Germans are forever menacing but are rarely seen. I give this one a A.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.