DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, new at this. I have had the HR-20 for 2 months now, i got it in a deal when i moved to my new house thru movers connection. However, i just got my High Defination TV and hooked it up. I have the latest downloads and all.

Here is my question, the TV i bought was a Samsung 56" DLP Projection HDTV (HL-S5687W). When i am watching the High Defination, i dont know, some of it looks grainy. I was watching the Gators Kill the Buckeyes and certain spots on the field look washed out at times where the rest of the picture was clear. I got the monster powe 1600, i dont have the satellie runnin thru that, mainly beacuse i have a DVR and there is only one input and out on the monster, so i am stupid there, how do you get both tuners running thru the power supply.

Or are there some tweaks i need to do with the satellite.

I appeciate any feedback

thanks

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
redskinscott said:
OK, new at this. I have had the HR-20 for 2 months now, i got it in a deal when i moved to my new house thru movers connection. However, i just got my High Defination TV and hooked it up. I have the latest downloads and all.

Here is my question, the TV i bought was a Samsung 56" DLP Projection HDTV (HL-S5687W). When i am watching the High Defination, i dont know, some of it looks grainy. I was watching the Gators Kill the Buckeyes and certain spots on the field look washed out at times where the rest of the picture was clear. I got the monster powe 1600, i dont have the satellie runnin thru that, mainly beacuse i have a DVR and there is only one input and out on the monster, so i am stupid there, how do you get both tuners running thru the power supply.

I appeciate any feedback

thanks
Use following settings: (I have a 56" Sammy and also calibrated a model just like yours):

Mode: Standard (turn off dynamic)
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: Less than 10
Contrast: 75 maximum

The defaults have dynamic on, sharpness at 70 or so and contrast at 90. Sharpness is edge enhancement and will produce artifacts like you are noticing. Dynamic just burns up your bulb faster, unless you are in a very, very bright room, in which case you are going to trade bulb life for a brighter pix.

The PQ on both Sammys shows no graininess and is excellent on a good HD channel. Try Discovery HD Theater for your tests. Some of the other "HD" channels aren't that good. You an also try OTA-HD pro football this weekend and look for artifacts there...(they are present, but generally its a pretty decent pix)

·
Legend
107 Posts
how clock are u sitting to the tv? if its a high def program did u switch the box to the resolution of the tv is is capable of doing 720p or 1080i. change the format but on the remote to match your resolution that the tv is capable of doing or turn native resolution on the hr20 on

·
3 Posts
I have also had the problem of grainy pictures on HD channels, especially sports. My problem was the sharpness level. I have it turned up pretty high for SD channels, but I have to reduce it drastically for HD. This does get rid of the graininess.

·
Icon
542 Posts
I still have the graininess, no matter how I tweak the settings, basketball is the worst, looking at the court is absolutely terrible

·
Icon
869 Posts
redskinscott said:

I appeciate any feedback

thanks
It seems like some FOX channels over the satellite are having issues with grainy and washed out pictures. Typically when white or bright images are present. I switch over to my OTA and the problem is not there. This could be a problem with the encoder at the uplink location. At least, this is what my friend and I think the problem is related to.

It is not your TV. As I have had the same problems with FOX sports programming and others have reported the same issues.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hasan said:
Use following settings: (I have a 56" Sammy and also calibrated a model just like yours):

Mode: Standard (turn off dynamic)
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: Less than 10
Contrast: 75 maximum

The defaults have dynamic on, sharpness at 70 or so and contrast at 90. Sharpness is edge enhancement and will produce artifacts like you are noticing. Dynamic just burns up your bulb faster, unless you are in a very, very bright room, in which case you are going to trade bulb life for a brighter pix.

The PQ on both Sammys shows no graininess and is excellent on a good HD channel. Try Discovery HD Theater for your tests. Some of the other "HD" channels aren't that good. You an also try OTA-HD pro football this weekend and look for artifacts there...(they are present, but generally its a pretty decent pix)
I did that, and it improved alot. it may be my eyesight, but i still see grainyness (sp). Would it help to run it thru my Monster Power 1600. If so, and excuse my ignorance, but how do you run both tuners thru the Power Supplies, it has a SAT in and out, and Cable in and out...so i put one tuner thru the sat and the other thru the cable and then back to the systme.

thank you...

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
redskinscott said:
I did that, and it improved alot. it may be my eyesight, but i still see grainyness (sp). Would it help to run it thru my Monster Power 1600. If so, and excuse my ignorance, but how do you run both tuners thru the Power Supplies, it has a SAT in and out, and Cable in and out...so i put one tuner thru the sat and the other thru the cable and then back to the systme.
thank you...
Running the SAT feeds through your "monster" doesn't seem to work well. The Dish needs 18 VDC and the cable "port" won't like it. Use the monster for AC conditioning [only].

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.