DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Claude Greiner reports that on the Dealer Chat today that GR locals will be turned on May 27th Alleluah!!!!!!! With 7 channels, any speculation as to what they will be? My guess is WWMT3(CBS), WOOD8(NBC), WZZM13(ABC), WXMI17(FOX), WGVU35(PBS), WOTV41(ABC) but then will its be TBN, UPN or PAX?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Wonder if they will use the current space allocation or change it?

They have had space, since the first of the year, for 4 of the channels on Tp 4 at 110 and space for the other 3 on 61.5.

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
UPN is very unlikely as it is several LPTV stations. PAX is a toss up. Though WZPX the PAX affiliate has WB affiliation it is owned by Paxson.

WOOD(NBC) ownes WOTV(ABC) it will want it's ABC station on too, but E* is dragging it's feet on carrying additional Network Affiliates (WHAG-NBC & WNEG-CBS are still not up though they are supposed to be carried) WOTV(NBC) will probably be up later.

The TBN affiliate is owned by Tri-State Christian Television and has probably demanded must carry. As with the Family Net affiliate owned by Christian Faith Broadcasters.

The 7 stations will probably be WZZM(ABC), WWMT(CBS), WOOD(NBC), WXMI(Fox), WGVU(PBS), WTLJ(TBN), WLLA(FAM) with WOTV(NBC) being added much later.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like they would make an exception for UPN, since it shows a lot of pro sports like Redwings hockey, Tigers baseball and Pistons Basketball. Oh well my mom will be excited if TBN is on. YUCK! :)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's weird I can't even pick up WLLA OTA. What kind of programming do those stations show?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,117 Posts
I talked to a Dish Network CSR today, and this is a CONFIRMED Grand Rapids locals line-up!

WZZM (ABC)
WWMT (CBS)
WOOD (NBC)
WXMI (FOX)
WGVU (PBS)
WTLJ (TBN)
WOTV (ABC)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found out a little more via a Dish CSR. 5 channels WWMT, WOOD, WZZM, WXMI and WGVU will eminate from the 119 location. WOTV and WTLJ will eminate from 61.5. The CSR said the channels will go active as of May 22 at 5PM. He suggested that I wait until May 23rd to call in. At that time he suggested that I request the free 20inch dish for 61.5

·
Legend
181 Posts
2 ABCs from different broadcast groups, in the same market being carried!! That'll be a first. In the olden days, ABC and NBC affiliates wanted an exclusivity region around themselves. I thought its still the same today for most part, and thats why we need waivers for a distant NBC, ABC. Maybe in Grand Rapids, the station groups are different.

·
443 Posts
Did anyone notice that on the Tech Forum last night they showed a slate for Grand Rapids with all 8 stations:

119:
WZZM(ABC)
WWMT(CBS)
WOOD(NBC)
WXMI(Fox)
WGVU(PBS)
61.5:
WOTV(ABC)
WTLJ(TBN)
WLLA(FAM)

Looks like the LPTV network of UPN stations and the PAX/WB station will be left out.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a shame I hope they add them at a later date. The UPN has a lot of sports and stuff on them.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Brian, did the chart show what channel numbers WOTV, WTLJ and WLLA would be occupying at 61.5°? I know what the three channel numbers are thanks to John H, just not which will be which.

See ya
Tony

·
443 Posts
Tony, These are the channel numbers:

(119)
8710-WZZM(ABC)
8711-WWMT(CBS)
8712-WOOD(NBC)
8713-WXMI(FOX)
8716-WGVU(PBS)

(61.5)
8717-WLLA(FAM)
8720-WTLJ(TBN)
8721-WOTV(ABC)

I find it rather odd that WOTV is at 8721 instead of 8720 and placed last. All the ABC stations are XXX0 except this one. I would guess that WOTV was a condition to carry WOOD and E* in it's disgust of carrying extra channels as a carriage arrangement of a "main" station placed it last.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Thanks Bryan,

The reason WLLA is not on 8720 is because it is a secondary ABC channel. The primary ABC is on the "0" but Telefutura or a secondary PBS station normally takes this second "0" in a city. Take a look at Boston. WMUR ABC is supposed to come from channel 8784.

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Bryan, 8721 WOTV has left 61.5. Do you have info on which spotbeam Tp it went to?

Thanks.

BTW: According to the DISH Network site all of these locals are available, except WLLA. WTLJ requires a second dish.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JohnH, WOTV is on 8721 at the 119 location at get this TP7. Every other channel thats at 119 is at TP5. WTLJ is at 61.5. Anyone know what happened with WLLA? No mention of it on Dish's site or by the CSR.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Tp 7 doesn't sound too bad since there are 11 channels on Tp 5.

WLLA may not have it together, yet.

Could be WOTV's owners have enough clout. I hear they also own the NBC affiliate.

·
443 Posts
I don't think E* has put an antenna up for WLLA yet all that is on the channel is snow.

John, I would say that WOOD has enough clout to have WOTV moved to 119. All they would have to say is "Oh, I see WOTV is on a side sat, I guess our fiber feed for WOOD and our other stations are having problems, sorry for the black screen". The owners of WOOD/WOTV also own WISH(CBS)Indianapolis, and KXAN(NBC)Austin.

E* probably wanted WOTV on 61.5 to say "Hey we have network stations on the side sats". Of course now that WOTV is on 119 WNEG(CBS)Greenville DMA, and WHAG(NBC)Washington DMA will demand to be on the main sats too. The owners of WHAG and WNEG don't have much clout since none of the other stations they own are in large markets and no others are on E*.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How do the locals work? The picture I am getting looks tons better then any OTA picure I can get. Does E* have like tons of equipment filtering out noise and fuzz? I am unsure how local into local works. Maybe one of you guys can help me out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.