DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if this has been adressed somewhere. Back when I signed in May I got 2 H20 recievers and one H10-250. My CBS OTA from Shoreview MN. came in perfectly through the H2O's and sketchy at best on the 250. So I assumed with the HR20's which is all I have now, I would have CBS on all three TV's. Today I can't get it on ANY of the HR20's. Very disappointed as of now, assumed this was just like the H20 for taking in OTA strength. All other networks are fine, as they were before with my previous setup. I just did a reset, to no avail. Please, any input, will a service call do anything?:(
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
148 Posts
I think that we believed that the HR20's OTA tuners were going to be superior to the HR10 based on early posts. I have not noticed that much improvement in sensitivity, if any. Others have stated that the HR20 is less susceptable to multipath.

What you may be experiencing is a documented problem that the HR20 ignores stations with good signal strength when it does its autoscan. Usually, it is a subchannel where one subchannel on the same station is OK. That's the case for me - 40-1 is almost 100% sig strength, but 40-2 is completely missing. Others, like you are missing more than one.

Common suggestion on the forum is to make sure your antenna cables are OK. I am sure you have already thought of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,050 Posts
hjones4841 said:
I think that we believed that the HR20's OTA tuners were going to be superior to the HR10 based on early posts. I have not noticed that much improvement in sensitivity, if any.
I have been able to tell a big difference between my HR20's OTA and HR10's OTA.

My local NBC on my HR10 has a signal strength of about 85% to 90%, on my HR20 it's pegged at 100%, both using the same antenna. I've seen this type of difference for most all of my OTA channels with the HR20 having about a 10% signal strength advantage over my HR10 off the same antenna.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
777 Posts
hjones4841 said:
What you may be experiencing is a documented problem that the HR20 ignores stations with good signal strength when it does its autoscan.
The HR20 doesn't autoscan. It gets the station info from the datastream/guide.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
797 Posts
RunnerFL said:
I have been able to tell a big difference between my HR20's OTA and HR10's OTA.

My local NBC on my HR10 has a signal strength of about 85% to 90%, on my HR20 it's pegged at 100%, both using the same antenna. I've seen this type of difference for most all of my OTA channels with the HR20 having about a 10% signal strength advantage over my HR10 off the same antenna.
I've also noticed it to be better. Even in cases where the numbers are identical to the HR10, the picture is cleann and without breakup.

It seemd on the HR10 meter if I was in the low 70's I would start to experience breakup in the picture. Now, that isn't happening until I get to the 40's.

Xaa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,653 Posts
Patsrockon said:
if this has been adressed somewhere. Back when I signed in May I got 2 H20 recievers and one H10-250. My CBS OTA from Shoreview MN. came in perfectly through the H2O's and sketchy at best on the 250. So I assumed with the HR20's which is all I have now, I would have CBS on all three TV's. Today I can't get it on ANY of the HR20's. Very disappointed as of now, assumed this was just like the H20 for taking in OTA strength. All other networks are fine, as they were before with my previous setup. I just did a reset, to no avail. Please, any input, will a service call do anything?:(
Also remember that even if the tuner on the Hr20 was as good as the H20 (all reports say it isn't) the HR20 has two tuners with a signal splitter. So if you have a four-way splitter to drive the receivers (7db signal loss), you then have to add the losses in the HR20 (at least 3.5db and maybe more). So the signal reaching each HR20 tuner is only one eighth of the original signal - actually with the insertion loss of the splitters it's more like one tenth, or even less.

Three things could solve this:
a better antenna
a preamp at the antenna
replacing the four-way splitter with a four-way distribution amplifier, or putting in an in-line amplifier before the splitter.
The third of these is probably the easiest.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for responding guys. Hey Texas, my local HD center is only 8 or so miles away. I once heard amplification can muddle transference in such short distances, do you agree? My Patriots play on CBS and I'll consider anything. I have a Terk rooftop antenna, and all other feeds are perfect as I said above. Yesterday cbs registred a "not aquired" for it's signal, yet today it's at least going in and out.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top