DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Wasn't the policy that if you have an HR20 and try to tune to a 3D channel when you get a 3D TV, that you'd get a code to give to a CSR and they'd swap you out for an HR21-24 free of charge to add 3D?

Or has that changed?

The 3d swapout is still current policy. 3d has turned out to be a non-event, as predicted by various posters not long after launch, however.
The replacement policy is, in fact, that we do not replace for failed HDMI ports, so that csr actually went outside policy to accomodate the poster. Often what the customer thinks is a failed HDMI port is actually a handshake issue anyway. You can test the hdmi port through the internal diagnostics to verify.

I may be mistaken but aren't HBO and some of the other premium providers in the process of requiring HDMI connections in order to support and enforce HDCP?

If so, then a failed HDMI port should force a replacement because your box is now incapable of delivering the premium channels in HD.

HarleyD said:
I may be mistaken but aren't HBO and some of the other premium providers in the process of requiring HDMI connections in order to support and enforce HDCP?

If so, then a failed HDMI port should force a replacement because your box is now incapable of delivering the premium channels in HD.
No the hdcp error is resolved with a switch to component cables. HDCP is the encoding technology used in hdmi. HDMI is not an organic, evolved product - it's an engineered technology that is designed to protect the copyright of program providers. In fact, HDMI is a company that sells its technology to device manufacturers and so on. I don't see hdmi being required anytime soon. Desirable, yes, required, no.

dpeters11 said:
Kind of ironic. If you have an HR20 and want 3D, policy is they'll send a box that supports it once you give the code displayed. Later, HDMI port goes out, and policy states you can't get 3D functionality back.
Yes ironic, however if you build your case around that most people would or should make an exception.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.