Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just had the local power company out to install their preimium surge protection (http://tinyurl.com/yltf9l). Initially when they (sat guys) installed my AT9, they used the ground on my pool equipment to ground the grounding block (pool electrical passed by county inspector).
When they came out today for the surge stuff, they drove an 8FT grouding rod into the ground and stated that was within code requirements. Shoud this also be tied to the existing building ground by my power panel? If so, what's the best way to do it? The installer stated that this is not necessary as long as code is followed (8FT ground rod).
I'm attaching some pics. Is anyone else out there using this service to protect their house/satellite system? Thanks.

Bill

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
I am no expert, so don't be quoting me on this.

I would think that leaving things the way they are would be the best option. If you do not see any evidence of ground loops (such as bars scrolling up or down your tv picture), then you should be just fine. Hooking the two ground systems together may (or may not) introduce ground loop problems.

You have had one "professional" opinion. You might want to have another professional electrician evaluate what you have and determine if it is properly done or not.

Carl

·
Legend
219 Posts
To meet current 2005 NEC standards you cannot just drive a ground rod in without connecting it to the main grounding system in your electrical system. If it is not I believe its a violation. You shoud have it inspected. Not having the grounds tied togeather migtht make your surge/lightning protection not function properly

·
Legend
123 Posts
Having two different grounds can cause the receivers to eventually burn out. It's hard for me to explain, but if your satellite wire is grounded to a separate ground than your electrical system, then your receiver will be connected to two different grounds (one is the electrical ground, the other is the satellite wire which is grounded). Any imbalance can wreak havoc over time. Personally, I think it'd be better to not have it grounded at all than to have it on a separate ground, but that's just me. I haven't had a single receiver go out yet.

*I should note that I did ground my original Dish Network receiver (way back in 97 I think) using a separate ground, and it didn't burn out, but I only kept it for about a year.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
davejacobson said:
To meet current 2005 NEC standards you cannot just drive a ground rod in without connecting it to the main grounding system in your electrical system. If it is not I believe its a violation. You shoud have it inspected. Not having the grounds tied togeather migtht make your surge/lightning protection not function properly
Can you point me to the section number that states this? Here's the online version:
http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_document.asp?id=7005SB

Thanks,

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.