DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install my WB68 switch I just bought. I just added a HR21 and I need to run another line up stairs, so I had to buy a multiswitch to do this, as DirecTV didn't give me a switch as I only had 4 tuners at the initial install.

I'm looking at how DirecTV grounded my system, 2 coax cables go directly to an existing HR21 without any ground block. 2 other coax cables that go upstairs for my HR21 and D10 go to a dual ground block and is grounded to a light conduit. Is this a good ground? Any advice is helpful. Don't I need to ground the other 2 coax cables?

Thanks! Justin
 

Attachments

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
It's sloppy for sure and ideally all wires have to go to the ground block.
That conduit is a last resort as a ground and I always categorize it as ' better then nothing'.
 

·
Dry as a bone
Joined
·
12,566 Posts
idigg said:
I just added a HR21 and I need to run another line up stairs, so I had to buy a multiswitch to do this, as DirecTV didn't give me a switch as I only had 4 tuners at the initial install.
You didn't get the additional HR21 from D*? If so, they'll add the multi-switch and cable.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,969 Posts
Done correctly, all 4 lines coming from the dish need to go through the ground block (they make quad ground blocks) before they go anywhere else, like into your switch. The ground block should be outside if possible, and the ground run to the house ground with 10 gauge solid copper wire, as was used here to bond to the conduit.

What you have here is a job that, at one time (when only 2 lines from the dish were needed) was good enough to pass DirecTV's QC, but has been added into incorrectly. It was never ideal.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
120 Posts
IIP said:
Done correctly, all 4 lines coming from the dish need to go through the ground block (they make quad ground blocks) before they go anywhere else, like into your switch. The ground block should be outside if possible, and the ground run to the house ground with 10 gauge solid copper wire, as was used here to bond to the conduit.

What you have here is a job that, at one time (when only 2 lines from the dish were needed) was good enough to pass DirecTV's QC, but has been added into incorrectly. It was never ideal.
Grounded on the inside a DTV pass:lol: ,I wish that was the case my friend.I remember being QC ed on 7 jobs in one week.6 passed ,and 1 failed because there was no where for me to ground it at the POE ,so i grounded it on the inside of a crawl space.The IDIOT QC POLICE failed me and i was back charged $30 on a $80 job!!!!:nono2:
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,969 Posts
DirecTV's QC policies vary widely from place to place, from HSP to HSP, and from time to time. Still, at least some effort was made; many installers are done with no pretense of even trying to ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
No, that's not a great grounding job. No, it won't make a lick of a difference if you mess with it. Especially with the blocks indoors already.

Most important is to ground your dish. Honestly, anything else is gravy.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spartanstew said:
You didn't get the additional HR21 from D*? If so, they'll add the multi-switch and cable.
I got the 2nd HR21 from Craigslist for $80 brand new, to save a little money, and got the WB68 switch from ebay for $14. I guess If I were to spend $200 directly with D* they would've given me the switch for free, oh well!
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before I install my switch and run more lines, I would like to move the grounding outside of the house. I'm going to get a quad grounding block.

Does anyone have any pictures of external grounding? I would like to buy a 8 foot ground rod from Home Depot, how far into the ground does it need to go? Any tutorials on this, I google and everyone has different methods, etc.

I have my own RG6, connectors, etc.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
78 Posts
No need for the ground rod from Home Depot. 4 RG-6 coax along with ground wire from dish to your new quad ground block. 4 Coax lines from block to WB68 switch and ground wire from ground block to your homes electrical ground. Someone has already done the hard work for you and put a rod in that is more than likely located at your elec. meter. If you have home telephone service, you can see how the phone company installed their ground.

BTW If I am not mistaken DTV now allows grounding from switch thus eliminating the need for the ground block. However I still use the ground block even with a switch installation.

HR21 from CL for 80 bucks! WB68 for 14 bucks! Not bad. 199. for a HR21 with free switch from DTV is OK, but I would expect the installation be done correctly.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
idigg said:
Does anyone have any pictures of external grounding?
Posted one here. no switch though. 4 lines with #17 to ground block with loops. Green #10 to ground [ electric conduit ]. 3 lines into house.



Will post one with switch soon.:D
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
mjtville said:
4 RG-6 coax along with ground wire from dish to your new quad ground block. 4 Coax lines from block to WB68 switch and ground wire from ground block to your homes electrical ground.
While daisy chaining grounds may get you past a D* QC, it is not acceptable in the NEC. All devices must go direct to a bonding point.

Generally speaking, unless you connecting to the electrical entrance conduit, you can't be sure that the conduit you see is itself grounded.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
Johnnie5000 said:
I don't know about everyone else, but I generally just use the wb68 as a ground block since they are designed that way. Fewer breaks in the connection, lower db loss, higher signal, same ground.
As a tech sup I would fail any job without a ground. And all techs were trained to use ground blocks. Besides that; it's easier to replace a ground block then a switch, not to mention cheaper.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
452 Posts
Mertzen said:
As a tech sup I would fail any job without a ground. And all techs were trained to use ground blocks. Besides that; it's easier to replace a ground block then a switch, not to mention cheaper.
True, but they fail us if we don't ground the switch. And we're only issued 4 ground blocks at a time vs 10 6x8's.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
Johnnie5000 said:
True, but they fail us if we don't ground the switch. And we're only issued 4 ground blocks at a time vs 10 6x8's.
Crazy. They'd give us dozens of ground block but if you even asked for one too many WB68s they'd accuse us of stealing.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top