DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The system was grounded by the installer. My question is if you use one of those power strips that have in/out connections for the Satellite cable, should you use them or will this create a ground loop?

CMM

·
Premium Member
21,658 Posts
My power strip has cable and phone filtering... I use the phone line filter to protect my receiver... but do not use the cable passthrough for my satellite. I have never been 100% convinced that the power strips I see in stores will passthrough the satellite without degrading/interfering with the signal... and since my roof-dish is properly grounded, and I have no other 75-ohm connection coming into the home, I feel I am adequately protected without using that additional passthrough.

·
Legend
201 Posts
I use to use the coax ports on the surge protectors but then found myself having to go back for service calls. I seem to be missing just a few channels, they would tell me, and sure enough they would be missing 1 or 2 transponders. If I bypassed the surge strip everything would be fine.

·
Legend
233 Posts
charlesm said:
The system was grounded by the installer. My question is if you use one of those power strips that have in/out connections for the Satellite cable, should you use them or will this create a ground loop?

CMM
This is just surge protection (supposedly). Also most "grounding" by installers is not NEC-compliant. Note that grounding is designed to protect people - not equipment. So even in the best of circumstances things get fried. Grounding as practiced is designed to draw static from the dish and route induced voltages away from your home. A direct lightning strike is going to melt any ground you have. So do as much as you can afford. If you have an adverse event and nobody is injured - it's a success.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.