Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey James,

With word that Dish is looking to move both E2 and E8 over to 77w, can you please provide us with a guestimate of coverage for both satellites if they are pointed at both CONUS and also down at Mexico.

Just wondering what the footprint looks like with those two older dishes pointed at both areas.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
These satellites use fixed antenna arrays, so they should be CONUS. There shouldn't be anything preventing Mexican satellites from being collocated.

·
Super Moderator
53,718 Posts
Agreed. The coverage should be about the same if they are aimed at the same place. I don't expect E2 and E4 to both be aimed south. DISH wants to use 77° in the US. Perhaps a little south if there are issues with 72.5° in Canada.

Imagine the red line shifted up and over just under lake Michigan and I'd consider that a good guess of mid-US coverage from 77° without Canadian issues. (Shift the whole pattern.)

·
Icon
815 Posts
The question is whether Dish can use either the 72.7 W and 77 W slot for national programming in the U.S. without causing interference with the other. In the FCC filings it appears that E-6 can provide good coverage in the Eastern Arc to everywhere with the possible exception of southern Texas. My best guess is they can with the right type of dish and that E-6 at 72.7 W will be used for national channels for the Eastern Arc and that 77 W will be used for HD locals in the southern 2/3rd of the U.S. (obviously in the Eastern Arc).

I was really surprised when Dish filed to move E-2 to 77 W. I thought it would make more sense for E-2 to go to 61.5 W to help out E-3 with the even TPs there that E-3 can not provide. Perhaps the E-2 coverage wasn't good enough at 61.5 W or the agreement or opportunities fir Dish in Mexico drove them to the E-2 move to 77 W. E-8 going to 77 W also was a shock. I thought it was going to 129 W to help E-5 after E-11 goes up. Dish can not afford any more launch failures like AMC-14 so E-11, Ciel-2 and E-14 (going to 119 W) all need to go up succesfully without satellite degradation in the next 15 months.

Regarding the Eastern Arc, Dish needs to maximize the R-12 spotbeams so I am also surprised that more of the international programming has not been moved from 61.5 W to 118.7 W.

·
Godfather
379 Posts
Part of the 77 transponder mix may relate to Mexico's TELMEX announcement last week that they will meet the Mexican FCC deadline of providing telephone number portability to customers as of July 5, 2008. That was the final legal requirement TELMEX had to meet before being able offering pay televison services in Mexico. And, as reported earlier, MVS has been negotiating both with Telmex and Dish to establish a new satellite service in Mexico.

·
Super Moderator
53,718 Posts
spear61 said:
Echostar 8 has two shaped beams. They say they may ( or may not) use up to 8 tranponders for Mexico with probable operation at high power. The footprints for US and Mexico are on pages 9-13 of the attachment with good CONUS coverage for US excepting the tip of Maine.

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/servlet/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=-149780
That's handy ... first to see that it is about ECHOSTAR 8 moving to 77° and that the coverage they seek is mapped out in the filing. Thanks for the link.

It is interesting that they can shift half of the satellite south. Very cool.

·
Icon
815 Posts
Here are the downlink patterns for E-2 at 77 W (pages 42 and 43 in the Acrobat file from the FCC website address below). There is no way E-2 can provide national channels to the Eastern Arc but the signal strengths in Mexico are quite high. It looks like E-2 will be the primary satellite for service in Mexico. Dish could sell the older QPSK and 8PSK/MPEG-2 only capable receivers in Mexico as they swap out U.S. folks to MPEG-4 receivers. Hope no one takes offense from this comment but it is just simple economics that the percentage of households in Mexico with HD televisions is much lower than in the U.S.

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/servlet/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=-149927

·
Godfather
379 Posts
rocatman said:
Dish could sell the older QPSK and 8PSK/MPEG-2 only capable receivers in Mexico as they swap out U.S. folks to MPEG-4 receivers. Hope no one takes offense from this comment but it is just simple economics that the percentage of households in Mexico with HD televisions is much lower than in the U.S.

No offense taken. One of the nice things that does happen is that the providers tend to leapfrog technologies and we get the best and latest when it finally arrives. I suspect the concern would be more about maximizing the number of channels per transponder which would push toward MPEG-4

·
Icon
815 Posts
alebowgm said:
Just wondering, when is the move for E8 and E2 to 77w scheduled to occur? I also have the same question about E6 to 72w.
Obviously, E-8 can't be moved until E-11 is in place and programming transferred off of it. The earliest this could be is early to mid August. I would think E-6 could start moving once E-11 starts testing at 138.5 W which would be about two weeks earlier than the move of E-8. E-2 could be moved anytime. Of course everything has to be approved by the FCC although usually they don't hold things up like this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.